whey protien help

Options
could anyone tell me what this whey protien is all about is it just for people who do weight training or can i use it to fill me up as a drink for snack time do i add it to food what does it do, help some one please keep seeing people mention it on here and not sure about it will it help me loose weight

Replies

• joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Whey protein powder is for when you are unable to fulfill your minimum protein macro requirements from whole foods. There are many kinds out there, and they aren't just for bodybuilders.
  • DerpdyHerp
    Options
    What do you mean, what it's all about? It's just protein in powder form. It possesses no magical powers. If you need extra protein, consider this supplement. Similar to if you're not getting enough of a particular vitamin, you take a supplement. I prefer to chew my protein.
  • SheaHF
    SheaHF Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    When I asked my doctor for some advice on how to loose weight without using addictive supplements, he said to eat really clean, exercise, watch calories, don't eat late at night, and to replace my breakfast with a protein drink. Protein is good for your muscles, a protein packed breakfast helps kick-start your metabolism, and the protein will help you feel full longer. When picking protein, you don't want one with lots of added sugars. It took a while to get used to the taste of the protein mix, but I usually just blend a scoop with a little bit of fruit or berries and it tastes yummy! So, yes, you can use protein to assist you in your weight loss. Body builders also use it to bulk up by drinking it more often and after workouts, but it can be used for weight loss, especially if you don't get enough protein in you diet regularly.
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I usually have whey protein with skim milk as my lunch, as I work in the toddler room at preschool and can't really have a lunch! It helps fill me up and gives me nutrients I need.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Nevermind, edited.
  • HarlCarl
    HarlCarl Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't use a protein supplement as a meal replacement. That's whack. IMHO
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    could anyone tell me what this whey protien is all about is it just for people who do weight training or can i use it to fill me up as a drink for snack time do i add it to food what does it do, help some one please keep seeing people mention it on here and not sure about it will it help me loose weight

A higher protein diet has many benefits.

#1- Your body burns more calories to process protein than fat or carbs. This means that it increases metabolism.
    #2- It is muscle sparing while on reduced calorie diets.
    #3- It can help increase hypertrophy (Muscle building), don't worry females will not get bulky you don't have the hormones for it.
    #4- Whole food sources of protein like meat, greek yogurt, nuts...ect are more satiating than carbs and fats to it may help with dealing with hunger. Protein shakes can help as well but IMO, whole food proteins are better.

What is the role of whey protein shakes?

The primary role of the shakes should be as a convenience item. Protein shakes should only be used when whole food proteins are not practical. If you are on the run or don't have time to make the amount of protein you need to make your daily goal, then a shke is OK. Preferably you shouldn't have more than 2 scoops a day if you can help it but if once it a while you have more it's not terrible. Always aim to get protein from whole food sources as much as possible.
  • julie204
    julie204 Posts: 130
    Options
    thanks so much for your help