losing weight with under active thyroid

My name is Cheryl. I will be turning 40 this year! :tongue: I have been taking synthroid for the past 7 years, and my current dose is 150 mcg. My weight fluctuates A LOT!!! Any time my meds. need to be increased, I will put on 20 pounds in a blink of an eye! When my meds. are at the right levels, I don't gain weight, but I have a hard time losing it! I am 5' 7" and I currently weight around 180, and am a size 16. I would love to lose 20 pounds. My goal is a size 12. It is very hard for me to lose weight. I am tracking my food intake on here. According to this program, I am eating 1500 calories per day. I am staying under that. I am also exercising 30-45 min. 4-5 times a week. I try to do something different every day. I.E. Pilates, yoga, weights, walking dvd, ball & band workout, etc.

Does anyone else have a thyroid problem? Can you give me any advice or pointers so that I can reach my goals?

Thanks everyone!

Replies

• My name is Cheryl. I will be turning 40 this year! :tongue: I have been taking synthroid for the past 7 years, and my current dose is 150 mcg. My weight fluctuates A LOT!!! Any time my meds. need to be increased, I will put on 20 pounds in a blink of an eye! When my meds. are at the right levels, I don't gain weight, but I have a hard time losing it! I am 5' 7" and I currently weight around 180, and am a size 16. I would love to lose 20 pounds. My goal is a size 12. It is very hard for me to lose weight. I am tracking my food intake on here. According to this program, I am eating 1500 calories per day. I am staying under that. I am also exercising 30-45 min. 4-5 times a week. I try to do something different every day. I.E. Pilates, yoga, weights, walking dvd, ball & band workout, etc.

Does anyone else have a thyroid problem? Can you give me any advice or pointers so that I can reach my goals?

Thanks everyone!
  • Cloe
    Cloe Posts: 435
    I don't have thyroid problems but I know what you mean about meds that make you gain. I had a massive heart attack at age 40 , never had a weight problem or high cholestorol or high blood pressure (heredity, genes). Survived that and then just when I got the ok to go back to work got hit head on by a woman that was in diebetic shock on the highway two minutes from my home. So heart meds can make you gain and now the pain meds and other pills cause weight gain too. Needless to say I have put on several pounds. Because of my injuries exercising is limited. But, with the encouragement of my husband and daughter and MFP friends I have been succeeding in shedding a pound here and there. There is hope, you can do this. My husband has a jiu jitsu school and I have convinced some of the parents to join my walking club. Instead of them dropping off their children going home and coming back, they join me in a 75 minutes power walk. We meet twice a week. Then I try and do toning and strength training myself at home. I have exercises that physio gave me and the ottawa pain clinic that I have to do regularly. And as you can see I have this beautiful pup that needs to be walked regularly, she is very active. She is my walking buddy with the walking club. So chin up, persistence and rely on us for whatever support we can give you. Best of luck to you. WE CAN DO THIS!:flowerforyou:
  • mechanicmom
    mechanicmom Posts: 5,695 Member
    I am 31 and I've been taking Synthroid since I was 20. I have a really hard time losing weight also. Thankfully my medicine has only been adjusted when I was pregnant. Otherwise it stays pretty balanced. I really don't lose or gain easily. Obviously I gain easier than I lose and that's why I am on this site, but my weight doesn't fluctuate a lot. I wish I had some ideas to help you lose weight. I am kin dof stuck right now with my weight and I would not be surprised if it's due to my thyroid. I just try to keep my metabolism up and watch what I eat and exercise. Surely it's got to come off!
    I will let you know if I find out anything to up us out!
  • bricker06
    bricker06 Posts: 316
    i really feel your pain. i also suffer from hypo thyroidism. my thyroid is never under contol. i have a blood test every 6 weeks and every 6 weeks my meds are adjusted. i found out 5 years ago and have gained 70 since then. i am committed to getting healthy. weightloss will be a bonus. i want to lose 115 but it is so difficult that i have decided that if i eat right and exercise i will in turn be healthy and the weight loss will be the bonus. after all ive never heard of fat cancer. i know that being overweight can lead to many health issues but like i said eating right and exercise is the most important. im sorry i dont have an answer for you. keep up the good work and positive attitude. well get there together.
  • MIDGEKIN
    MIDGEKIN Posts: 113
    I'm a fellow hypothyroid-er... It was found about 6 months ago and they have already had me on so many different levels of Levothroxine that i can't even remeber. I have gained about 30 lbs since then and I would also like to know the best way to deal. I'm also curious to know if any of you share my amazment at how little doctors actually seem to know about this condition and how quick they are to judge you about the weight gain. My Mom has had it since she was 20 (the same age they found it in me) and one DOCTOR actually told her that maybe she should get off the couch and stop eating bon-bons!! Her TSH level was well above 75 and this *kitten* is telling her it her fault? Its almost like they know nothing about it at all!!! They know that it can cause tiredness and depression which it turn make you not want to work out, on top oof the weight gain it causes and do they really think that saying things like that is really going to help matters? I have been lucky enough to finally find a doc who actually seems more concerned with getting my levels straight then just prescribing me some bs level because they think I'm just trying to blame my weight on it, but its still a long road ahead!! Anyone else have experiences with docs?