Ex-smokers who became runners...

Options
Is it possible? I'm coming up on my two year anniversary of quitting and I still can't run 5 mph for longer than two minutes without feeling like my lungs are going to explode. And that's not even running...it's jogging. I've tried C25K (a couple times), but I'll go for a week or two, and not see much progress -- or see a squirrel and get sidetracked -- and stop.

My inner voice is very negative...telling I can't, I never have and never will, blah, blah, blah, but I'm not sure if it's truth or bullsh*t.

So all you ex-smokers who now run...will you chime in and tell me it's possible? Can you please tell me that the only thing stopping me is me, and not the almost 20 years of smoking? Maybe then I'll believe it.

Replies

• scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I *just* quit smoking 2 days ago (after 29 years!!) and I'm on W4 of C25K. It's tough, but I'm hanging in there. Maybe your lung function issues aren't from being an ex-smoker? Have you talked to your doctor?
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    I did and I do run..........I still smoke from time to time. You'll hack up some nasty stuff at first, then you'll notice your lungs getting stronger. Do HIIT training to help increase your lung capacity, that will help, Also beets are very very good for the lungs so if you are ok with them then try to incorporate them into your diet as much as possible, I like them with crumbled goat cheese, or on a salad. Keep it up it will get better
  • timothyjkiser
    timothyjkiser Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Congrats on being smoke free!!!

First go to the Doctor...you may need an inhaler to aid you at first.

You should try doing some breathing exercises everyday to increase your lung capacity. The worst thing to do is to run and blackout due to lack of Oxygen!

I quit 2 years ago and running has gotten easier. Granted, I just restarted running again two weeks ago, but I used to be a runner "back in the day" too.
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    You can do it you just have to moderate your breathing. I smoked for about 14 years and still do occasionally and I've been doing the C25K. I did 2 miles in 18:55 the other day. Like I said, you have to keep your breathing even. Breath in 1 -2 Breath out 1-2 something like that. :} good luck!
  • becca_21
    becca_21 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I only smoked for 3-4 years, so maybe I'm not really in the same boat. I still believe that you can be a runner. It will take a lot of time though. The damage done probably has taken a toll, so it's best to let your body adjust on it's own time. When I first started running after I quit, I couldn't even run 1/2 a mile. I thought my chest was going to explode. Now, almost 6-7 months later, I usually run 10-14 miles per week. I think you can do anything you set your mind to. Don't expect immediate results, though. Take it one day at a time.
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    YOU CAN DO THIS!

I am not a smoker, but my SO smoked for 12 years and now runs 3-4 miles almost daily. It IS slow going at first, but if you hang in there you can do it. I think running is one of the hardest sports to pick up-- there is so little pay off and it HURTS.

Keep running. You won't regret it!
  • timothyjkiser
    timothyjkiser Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    ..........I still smoke from time to time. You'll hack up some nasty stuff at first, then you'll notice your lungs getting stronger.

LOL. that still happens to me two years later!
  • Cmccracken1
    Cmccracken1 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    yes you can.. friend me if you want to motivation. I quit smoking in April 2010. I run 3-5 miles 4-5 times a week now. i smoked for 22 years and i'm 37 you do the math... and i wasnt a closet smoke on the weekends kinda smoker. i was a two packs every other day smoker and if i took a road trip of 8 hours i took 3 packs with me... no joke, if i can do it anyone can do it..
    you just have to take control of your body.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    I quit after 20 years of 2-3 packs a day in 1994. It took a long time. I can do a 5K now with now problem, and could do more if it weren't for my kneee. I used to do 5 miles after training for a year. If not, check with a doctor and have a lung function test done. You'll can do it, just keep at it.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    YES! you can. I quite then a year or so later did C25k. Its hard.
    Are you huffing and puffing? Just slow down, and repeat a day or even a week.
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    You can do it! Progress can be slow sometimes, even for non-smokers. I don't think you should let that discourage you.

I think if you had the willpower to quit smoking, you also have the willpower to run. The key is consistency. I think C25k is a great tool--don't be afraid to repeat weeks if you don't feel ready to progress to the next level!

The manager at my gym smoked for 15 years and he regularly runs in 10k races. It is possible--good luck!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I've never smoked, but I had a neighbor who smoked for 40 years, quit in her late 60s and took up running and was blowing people away in every race she participated in.

So, yes, it's possible. :-)
  • techymum
    techymum Posts: 168
    Options
    CONGRATS on quitting smoking, and staying that way!!!!

I am an ex-smoker, although it was a long time ago. However, I believe that if I can run, anyone can run. Why? Because I'm overweight, short, and on the other side of 50! Keep at it and you will succeed. Each run I still find taxing, and dig in deep, knowing that by doing that hard work, my every day life and health will just be that much better.

Honestly, if you quit smoking, you can do anything. That addiction has to be one of the worst to quit.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    ..........I still smoke from time to time. You'll hack up some nasty stuff at first, then you'll notice your lungs getting stronger.

LOL. that still happens to me two years later!

I think it took like 3 or 4 years for that to stop for me!
  • emily773
    Options
    I think you'll be okay! It may just be that you're building up regular endurance...which is super hard. I also quit about 2 years ago after smoking for about 7 years. Just take it easy, and like some others have said, you may need a puffer- it sounds like this could be a case of a little sports induced asthma. It's SO hard to develop the habits (and lungs!) of a runner- keep up the good work!
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    A few years ago, my dad was running 3-4 times a week, 3-5 miles per session. He wasn't an ex-smoker, he was smoking a pack a day. (He STILL is a smoker!)

Definitely possible!
  • Sugarchef
    Sugarchef Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Ex-smoker and runner right here! It's possible for sure. Just keep at it and your lungs will get stronger. Good luck!
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    I used to smoke a pack of CAMELS a day. I quit cold turkey 4 years ago after getting bronchitis for the 3rd time in a year.

I have been running steadily for the past 2.5 years and I recently ran a 10k!

Like anything else, it came with a lot of work, training and re-training your body/mind.

I did yoga for a while to concentrate on breathing.

Also, you may be running too fast in general to catch your breath. Running is about pushing yourself but more so on an endurance level. When I run, I always run at comfortable pace where I can "talk". If I'm alone, I usually mouth the words to songs to keep myself in check.

Good luck and congrats on your healthy choice to quit!
  • GymRatRaceRunner
    GymRatRaceRunner Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I smoked for 10 years (ages 18 to 28 - 3 packs a day, regular Marlboro or Camel no filters), then when my grandfather passed away from complications from smoking in December, I made a New Year's Resolution to quit smoking. I stopped cold turkey Dec 31, 2000, at 11:40pm. and have not smoked since.

And I'm a runner...

My last 5k time = 21:04
    My last 10k time = 49:37
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    :-)

I quit smoking the day I ran the 20.2 mile Longstreet Run at Fort Bragg, North Carolina (82nd Airborne).

I was running 12 miles a day to get in shape for an Army school and I decided to do the Longstreet run (it is a long street at Fort Bragg that goes from the main post area out to the drop zones). After the run, I went to dinner with some friends of mine and, as was my habit, I pulled out my pack of cigs and fired one up.

I was the only person at the table who smoked. "Hmm…this is really stupid."

I put the pack on the table and never smoked another cigarette.

Oh, yes, I wanted to smoke but fought back "the nic monster".

A few months later I got to Officer Candidate School where we had to get permission to smoke. Permission to smoke was always denied so that made it easier since I didn't have to smell the smoke.

I also got to run at OCS. I was one of the "rabbits" who would run around the main body of troops while they were running their 12 minute miles. It worked pretty well. I did my two mile run, for the PT test, in 15:09. That's not very good for a "runner" but I was then 26 years old and had been smoking for 8 years so, all in all, it's a decent time.

After I'd lost enough weight, I started running again in June 2010 and I ran a half marathon on August 21. I'm scheduled to the California International Marathon on December 4 which will be 360 days from "Michelin man to marathon man".

Will you be able to run if you smoke? Yes! Lose the weight, get good shoes, get a training plan, and get out there!

====
    Just thought of this — get the book "Marathoning for Mortals". I bought my used at Amazon for about $5. One of the authors is nicknamed "The Penguin" Before he started running, he was an overweight smoker who thought that the 4 food groups were burgers, fries, soda, and nicotine (or something like that). It's a fast, friendly read. Highly recommended to content and motivation!