Sodium

Options
My turkey breast and chicken breast packaged sandwich meat has a lot of sodium in them. I wanted to know has anyone heard of putting the meat in cold water to draw out some of the salt and does it really decrease the salt.

Replies

• godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    I've never heard that; curious to see what others have to say...
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    I'm not sure how much sodium you would actually reduce but they do make reduced sodium deli meats...
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I never heard of doing that. I can't imagine that would affect the taste in a good way, though... I think either buying reduced sodium lunch meat or baking your own chicken breasts and freezing them until needed sound tastier.
  • kathylynn8
    kathylynn8 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Dietz and Watson has a very good Deli Turkey Breast
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of that, but I'm not sure how well it would work. The sodium in processed foods isn't all necessarily in salt (NaCl) form just sitting in the meat. The sodium is locked up in other chemicals that are used to process the meat.
  • tounyae1979
    Options
    I've seen several reduced sodium deli meats. I bought the Tyson Cajun Chicken breast and theres no reduced version that I've seen in this brand.
  • bruthacuervo
    bruthacuervo Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I do know that according to Duke University, that draining, then rinsing Tuna for 1 minute, reduces the sodium content by about 71% with similar results on canned vegetables.

I have not heard this works with processed meats, and my thought on this is that its the water its canned with that contains the sodium, the rinsing removing a majority of the sodium contained in that water.

As meats are not packaged this way, i believe its actually part of the process, thus, simply rinsing it wont do as much, however i would expect it to reduce some sodium, but not much.
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    bought a ham to bake and the instructions said to let is sit in water to reduce the sodium, by how much ard to say. I guess it would just give you peace of mind when you go over. The best brand I have found is castle wood at Sams club. They have a reduced sodium chicken breast that is 340 mg per serving which is way better then 600-700!