I DO want to lose weight

Options
I don't care how much weight people have lost but it kinda bothers me if they take a holier than thou attitude about other people's committment and how motivated other people are to lose weight while they eat entire tubs of candy on a recurring daily basis (60g of carbs and 350 cals in SUGAR! DAILY!) And an entire box of brownies and a bunch of other processed foods.

Why does this bother me?

Maybe because I've been working my butt off for more than a year and have barely lost more than 20 pounds. And I am serious - two different trainers, 1000 calorie deficits according to BodyMedia and HRMs only to find out I have a thyroid mass and IR/PCOS and those two mean I have a hard time losing weight.

Working out and continuing to eat well WITHOUT getting results IS THE DEFINITION OF WANTING IT!

Maybe I'm just grouchy today.

I want to change my life and be healthy and I wish there were not people on here claiming they are totally dedicated while they eat their weight in nacho cheese sauce. It makes me upset they're equating success on the scale with desire to lose weight.

Replies

• mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I think the whole weight thing is different for those of us who have medical conditions that contribute to the weight gain. THere are those who by simply changing the way they eat can drop the pounds..dont understand the hardships.

I mean for us..we can eat well..stay under goall...AND STILL not lose anything..its hard and frustrating....For us..without a great doctor...it does seem almost impossible.

So no...I dont think you are being grouchy...people gain weight because of alot of reasons..but because of a medical condition..makes it hard to swallow when we are told just to eat less and move more...!

I got your back Sarah!!!!!!
  • A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    Just remember that everyone's metabolism is different and we all process food differently. It is hard when you can see others eat their weight in junk food while others struggle just to lost a lb with being very diligent. I have a friend who has a thyroid problem and unless she eats about 1200 calories/day and atleast does some kind of cardio she doesn't lose a pound. She has had weeks of not losing, but she takes the good with the bad. Just keep being diligent - it will pay off. Don't worry about what others do - it will catch up to them eventually. I will be honest - I have days were I eat what I want, when I want otherwise my cravings get ahold of me (they just become worse). This is a slow process - be proud of those 20 lbs you have lost. Nothing to be ashamed of.
  • Tujitsu56
    Tujitsu56 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    This is the point where you should congratulate yourself for your hard work and dedication. You have shown a will power that others may not be able to equate too. Also, remember that your hard work will be permenant while some other may not. All you can do is try to encourage them and myself for that matter to do better, work harder, and stick with it. I wish you the best on your Journey:) Smile today and know that your are great!
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    This is the point where you should congratulate yourself for your hard work and dedication. You have shown a will power that others may not be able to equate too. Also, remember that your hard work will be permenant while some other may not. All you can do is try to encourage them and myself for that matter to do better, work harder, and stick with it. I wish you the best on your Journey:) Smile today and know that your are great!

I completely agree with this ^^^^^^^
  • brittanypelly
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your struggle.
    Though it doesn't make it easier today, know that you are not alone. I struggle with the same irritation, weight-loss issue and, I'll admit, jealousy.
    It's hard to watch someone eat a brownie and never gain and I look a Debbie Cake and can feel my pants tighten!!
    The only thing that keeps me going is knowing that I am trying. I am just getting on this boat of dieting, and while it's not going as fast as I want it, I have made that change. And you have made that change. You've decided to better yourself. You've taken control of your life and are motivated to make yourself feel better.
    Another thing I remind myself is that while I struggle with my weight, I have a family that supports me. I have friends that I can lean on. I may be far more fortunate in that area than others that eat whatever they want and don't gain.
    I think the biggest think we have to remember in this "Battle Against the Bulge" is that we're taking part in the process. We're not letting it go so far that it truly is impossible to win much of our life back. Weight loss is about the journey in some aspects. It's certainly a teacher of our inner-self. As I stated before, I am a jealous person and it took me wanting to lose weight to see that.
    Keep your head up!
  • mmmichelle8486
    mmmichelle8486 Posts: 269 Member
    Options

This ^ What a great guy :):)

Everyone is different, but as long as you are doing what is best for you, then be happy. You're on the road to lifelong health, don't lose sight of that!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

This. I would also add that you are likely feeling and living a better quality of life than you were before. It's not always about the number on the scale.

Congrats on your hard work. It's a marvelous and inspiring thing to see people so dedicated to their health and wellbeing.
  • tessex
    tessex Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I lose weight really slowly. I do not know why but every time that my youngest sister and I diet together she loses lots and me very little. I hate it. She does seem to gain it back fast but it is so hard on me. A couple years back I went to see my doctor that put in my lap band, he was so discouraging that I left thinking that I'll be fat forever and maybe I will but I am trying to use my food journal and walk daily. I decided not to listen to others and to try my best. I hope it'll pay off, it has helped me feel a bit better about me. Hang in there! I do agree that you should pat yourself on your back. It is a tough journey for some of us.
  • melvac
    melvac Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    well I work hard and I try different things when 1 thing don't work for me I would not stay on someting where I am bot seeing some type of results I am not gonna get mad @ someone elses success because there are other factors involved in us all. We are all different individuals. One thing that made a complete turn around for me is I started on Zeals Fit & Free 90 day challenge. There are several components to this program, the main one for me are the supplements Zeal and the fact that I eat every 2 to 3 hours, this is keepn my metabolism revved up. Dont waste your time & energy on others success find what is gonna work for you
  • sarah829522
    Options
    Thank you! I'm sure I just needed to vent. So now I can re-focus on my own journey and smile :)

I love you all for responding and for really understanding what it is I was trying to say. Hope you have a fantastic weekend!
  • oochi3
    oochi3 Posts: 17
    Options
    ditto.!!!! im with u on this. I get annoyed alot because of it, but then i just try 2 let it go and go on with my working out and eating better..after all no ones forcing me 2 chose 2 diet and be healthyer :) so i just try n let it go n stay positive. But i do feel like u on days, dont blame u for it! hugs**
  • Kassielin13
    Options
    Hey, you keep your head held high! With the medical conditions we have in common, It does make it a ton harder for us. And you have an addition hindrance in your weight loss journey. You are doing very well, even with certain circumstances. I don't like seeing you down and discouraged. Not one bit! I know that you are completely dedicated and I do have to say more than I a lot of times. So I really don't know what else could be holding back the numbers. I really pray that you are successful in your weight loss just as you deserve. Just some encouraging words: Even when the numbers don't fall, just remember that you are exercising your way to a longer, healthier life! :heart:
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    you had me at ''working out constantly even though you're not dropping weight'' sort of said it all to me..it shows character and conviction. many others would have quit. get the thyroid checked out..I have never been one for personal trainers and fancy diet schemes, but adjust as you see fit. as a rule, on MFP the LESS clinical and scientific people in this community tend to give far sound advice and motivation than the holier-than-though know it all's.