Health Food vs. Junk Food

Options
Ok, I've been eating healthier and exercising since January 5. I"m eating a lot less snacks than usual, exercising more than before (I didn't exercise at all until now), and I've been healthier too. This week I plan on cutting out night snacking COMPLETELY! Although this has been a major improvement, I was just wondering....is is OK to eat junk as long as I stay within my calorie limit? Without my nighttime snacking, I stay within my calorie limit....I think that's why I'm unsure about my results. But even if I do eat some junk, is that OK to lose weight as long as I don't exceed my calories by too much? Thanks for the help I've been getting so far!:flowerforyou: :drinker:

Replies

• Violet_Mist
    Options
    Ok, I've been eating healthier and exercising since January 5. I"m eating a lot less snacks than usual, exercising more than before (I didn't exercise at all until now), and I've been healthier too. This week I plan on cutting out night snacking COMPLETELY! Although this has been a major improvement, I was just wondering....is is OK to eat junk as long as I stay within my calorie limit? Without my nighttime snacking, I stay within my calorie limit....I think that's why I'm unsure about my results. But even if I do eat some junk, is that OK to lose weight as long as I don't exceed my calories by too much? Thanks for the help I've been getting so far!:flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • Renae_Nae
    Renae_Nae Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    technically yes...but you need to make sure your getting proper nutrition too. I wouldn't make it a general rule of "just staying within calories" but some junk food here and there isn't going to hurt.
  • amunet07
    amunet07 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I think its okay as long as you eat some health stuff too. I have 2 to 3 snacks a day and at least one if not two are something like 14 mint M & Ms (98 cals) or 1 Kelloggs Rice Crispy treat (70 cals) and i have been losing weight with no plateau's.
  • wannaBme
    wannaBme Posts: 143
    Options
    In my opinion a calorie is not simply a calorie.

If you want to get healthy (therefore lose weight) then NOURISH your body with the calories that you eat.
    A body that feels nourished is more likely to shed pounds then one that feels starved of nutrients. A body that feels starved will be hungry all the time, craving more and more food to fulfill it's nutritional requirements.

A 100 calorie Oreo snack pack just leaves me wanting another 100 calorie snack pack, as it doesn't fulfill my body's need for nutrients.

For 100 calories ... I find a package of steamed edamane beans is much more satisfying snack.
    or vegetable sticks with homemade humus

There's a list some where on the internet of a ton of foods under 100 calories
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    with respect to weight loss: a calorie is a calorie is a calorie. It doesn't matter what you are eating as long as you create a calorie deficit. I personally think that there are some issues with poor eating habits causing spikes in blood sugar, or eating a diet high in refined carbs and sugars can cause a spike in blood sugar, which can inhibit weight loss. But the bottom line is that you can eat whatever you want as long as you are within your calories.

Cutting out junk food is more of a lifestyle choice. Many of us on this site are trying to lead healthier lives, including eating a diet that contributes to our health. That doesn't mean that I can't have pizza, or a hot dog and beer, or the occasional potato chip. I can have all those things, I just have them in moderation and know that when I have them I have to balance it out somehow.

Whatever you decide to do, you want it to be something that you're comfortable with and can sustain to lose the weight and keep it off.

Good luck!
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    with respect to weight loss: a calorie is a calorie is a calorie. It doesn't matter what you are eating as long as you create a calorie deficit. I personally think that there are some issues with poor eating habits causing spikes in blood sugar, or eating a diet high in refined carbs and sugars can cause a spike in blood sugar, which can inhibit weight loss. But the bottom line is that you can eat whatever you want as long as you are within your calories.

Cutting out junk food is more of a lifestyle choice. Many of us on this site are trying to lead healthier lives, including eating a diet that contributes to our health. That doesn't mean that I can't have pizza, or a hot dog and beer, or the occasional potato chip. I can have all those things, I just have them in moderation and know that when I have them I have to balance it out somehow.

Whatever you decide to do, you want it to be something that you're comfortable with and can sustain to lose the weight and keep it off.

Good luck!

Lots of wisdom in this post. Moderation and the last sentence about not only losing but keeping the weight off. How many of us have lost the same pounds over and over? We have to make the changes so that we can live with them. Or we gain it all back again. There is no dieting and then going back to normal. We have to make our new lifestyle normal. Then we can see success in not only losing but not regaining the weight.
  • Violet_Mist
    Options
    Thank you all! I lost a ton of weight last year without this site, but I exercised like crazy...a little more than I was comfortable with...and now I'm trying to stick with a combo of strength training and running. I'm going to cut out junk whenever I can from now on, so it's not such a big deal when I do eat junk food outside of the home. THANK YOU!!!!:flowerforyou: :drinker: :drinker:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! I lost a ton of weight last year without this site, but I exercised like crazy...a little more than I was comfortable with...and now I'm trying to stick with a combo of strength training and running. I'm going to cut out junk whenever I can from now on, so it's not such a big deal when I do eat junk food outside of the home. THANK YOU!!!!:flowerforyou: :drinker: :drinker:

I'm just curious...I peeked at your info, and you're only 18, but you said you've been struggling with your weight for 6 years. So, since you were 12? And you were 123 lbs, and want to get to 110--how tall are you? How much weight did you lose last year if it was a 'ton'? Why were you exercising more than you were comfortable with?

It just seems to me like another case of a young woman who is just unhappy with her body, regardless of how lean or healthy it may be.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options

I'm just curious...I peeked at your info, and you're only 18, but you said you've been struggling with your weight for 6 years. So, since you were 12? And you were 123 lbs, and want to get to 110--how tall are you? How much weight did you lose last year if it was a 'ton'? Why were you exercising more than you were comfortable with?

It just seems to me like another case of a young woman who is just unhappy with her body, regardless of how lean or healthy it may be.

I am inclined to agree. 10 lbs gained or lost will not make such a huge difference in your physical appearance. You say you'd like to continue losing if you're not satisfied. Unless you are under 5ft tall, I'd say the issue may be something other than you weight itself.
  • cherapple
    cherapple Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I'll testify to the fact that 10 lbs. of fat on a short person actually can make a big difference (I'm 5'2"), especially if you don't have much muscle underneath. At the same time, adding 10 lbs. of *muscle* looks great (and burns a lot of fat). Give me those 10 lbs. any day!

The scale is not God. It provides a very limited view of what's going on with our bodies because it doesn't tell us whether our weight is coming -- or going -- from fat, or from muscle. I wish I could banish it as most people's favorite measure of health!

Sorry -- my rant of the moment. :bigsmile:
  • KLS10
    KLS10 Posts: 127
    Options
    I am so with you on this. One time I was at Target and I bought the Pringles 100 cal snack pack thinking "oh cool I can eat one and be fine" The entire 6 or 9 whatever pack was gone by the end of the night! They are the worst, and If I had just bought a can I would of saved like $3!
  • KLS10
    KLS10 Posts: 127
    Options
    p.s. I am 5'2 and let me tell ya 10 pounds on a short person is a big difference! i gained ten pounds recently and resemble an oompa loompa- exactly the reason I joined this site:smile:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I'll testify to the fact that 10 lbs. of fat on a short person actually can make a big difference (I'm 5'2"), especially if you don't have much muscle underneath. At the same time, adding 10 lbs. of *muscle* looks great (and burns a lot of fat). Give me those 10 lbs. any day!

The scale is not God. It provides a very limited view of what's going on with our bodies because it doesn't tell us whether our weight is coming -- or going -- from fat, or from muscle. I wish I could banish it as most people's favorite measure of health!

Sorry -- my rant of the moment. :bigsmile:

You misunderstood my post, I don't know her height, I was refering to if fshe was of average height. I am 5'6" and I can tell you 10 lbs makes only a minor difference in physical appearance.