I'm a grumpy insomniac (rant)

Options
it is 6:12am
I have been awake since about 2am, after going to sleep at about 10pm.
I was woken at 2 by my nearly 3 year old who was crying because he woke up and his "eye was stuck" so I calmed him down, wiped his eye with a facecloth, tucked the 6 year old back into his duvet and went back to bed. 30 mins later the 2 month old woke up and hubby got up too and gave him his bottle and settled him back into bed. Then hubby went back to sleep.

Meanwhile I am still awake and I get grumpy at my poor hubby because I am jealous of his ability to go back to sleep (and to sleep through any kids waking up and shouting)

Since this last pregnancy I have the problem that if I wake in the night and do too much (like spend a while settling a child) I find it nearly impossible to get back to sleep. But I'm tired! I have 3 boys to take care of and that's exhausting enough without having lack of sleep thrown into the mix.

Someone suggested that not enough iron can cause insomnia and I know I have an iron deficiency so I'll start taking the supplements again and hopefully that will help.
Any other suggestions?

Replies

• vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Enjoy then the best you can now. Soon they won't need you so much!
  • nikki91950
    Options
    have you tried napping during the day?
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    it's hard when you have little ones, I think it just comes with the territory.....it's hard to suggest anything for you to take to help you sleep, because you do need to be able to wake up when the kids wake up.....all I can say is it gets easier as they all get older, and maybe try to steal some naps during the day if you can......good luck!
  • nikki91950
    Options
    there's also a sleep hormone pill you can get over the counter- melatonin?
  • melsy78
    melsy78 Posts: 65
    Options
    have you tried napping during the day?

I am hoping to get one today as it's the weekend but I don't have that option during the week. My middle child is home with me and no longer has a nap.