Has anyone read "Skinny *****?"

Replies

• Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Those women aren't nutritionists, dieticians, personal trainers, or certified to give dietary advice in any way.
    Would you go to a librarian to have them fix your car's transmission? Why would you go to two random, obviously biased, uncertified, rude women with no knowledge of the human body for dietary advice? Cutting out meat is not a quick fix for fat loss or a healthy lifestyle.
    :wink: :drinker:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Education is key. Read lots, learn lots and then make your own choices and decision.

To the nay sayers about the book ...

Why are we the only nation in the world that drinks milk AND we have the highest osteoperosis rate?
    Would you suck on your mothers boob at 30 years old? or more appropriately a cows teat ?
    Nature made cows milk to turn an 80 pound calf into a 2000 pound animal. Is that what the population resembles? big fat cows?

How about people who figure out that they are lactose intolerant. Actually, almost every human older than 4 is lactose intolerant, as they no longer NEED milk to survive. So the industry, not wanting to lose consumers, makes an altered product that has the lactose removed so now it is "disgestible" for those lactose intolerant. Give your head a shake !

And cheese ... don't get me started on cheese. Cheese is so addicting, and the industry damn well knows it. So it's everywhere to keep us coming back for more.

North America has the highest obesity rate. Why? because we are rich and can afford good food?
    ... or because the food industry has made cheap crap to fill us up so they can make money?
    Just take a look people! Crap food everywhere, filled with stuff you can't even pronounce. The diet industry is making billions by filling us up with more fake synthetic cancer causing promises.

this whole farce infuriates me because I have been lead down the garden path for years. I've tired reading this ... and that ... tried new diet trends ... only to be bigger than I was when I started to "get healthy". I am pissed off at the constant brain washing and food advertising and the lies, ALL for the sake of the oh mighty dollar.

I don't need to be certified in anything to finally figure this out, and neither do the girls who researched many hours for their book.
    I have heard much on drinking milk and how even at a certain point young animals are weaned from it yet we still continue on drinking it... it is a strange thing indeed. The milk industry is a powerful one for sure:noway:

Regarding cheese, never thought of it as addictive, how so? The fats? Is that part of it? Or other ingredients? Actually I am curious, I love to learn new things, some I will take with me some I will leave behind. I appreciate you sharing your thoughts on the book and the milk industry...which I do agree has a serious serious strong hold on the USA as does the beef, drug industry etc etc, and the list goes on.

I do like cheese those:cry::laugh: :wink: :flowerforyou: But if I heard enough about it that wasn't good I could easily give it up... there are so many good foods for us out there, there's plenty to enjoy and keep us healthy even if we gave up half of them. Shoot giving up crap foods/aka simple carbs has changed my life... now talk about ADDICTIVE! WHEW:noway:

FC:heart:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Education is key. Read lots, learn lots and then make your own choices and decision. javascript:add_smiley('laugh','post_body')

Why are we the only nation in the world that drinks milk AND we have the highest osteoperosis rate?
    Would you suck on your mothers boob at 30 years old? or more appropriately a cows teat ?
    Nature made cows milk to turn an 80 pound calf into a 2000 pound animal. Is that what the population resembles? big fat cows?

How about people who figure out that they are lactose intolerant. Actually, almost every human older than 4 is lactose intolerant, as they no longer NEED milk to survive. So the industry, not wanting to lose consumers, makes an altered product that has the lactose removed so now it is "disgestible" for those lactose intolerant. Give your head a shake !

And cheese ... don't get me started on cheese. Cheese is so addicting, and the industry damn well knows it. So it's everywhere to keep us coming back for more.

North America has the highest obesity rate. Why? because we are rich and can afford good food?
    ... or because the food industry has made cheap crap to fill us up so they can make money?
    Just take a look people! Crap food everywhere, filled with stuff you can't even pronounce. The diet industry is making billions by filling us up with more fake synthetic cancer causing promises.

this whole farce infuriates me because I have been lead down the garden path for years. I've tired reading this ... and that ... tried new diet trends ... only to be bigger than I was when I started to "get healthy". I am pissed off at the constant brain washing and food advertising and the lies, ALL for the sake of the oh mighty dollar.

I don't need to be certified in anything to finally figure this out, and neither do the girls who researched many hours for their book.

Well, we'll have to agree to disagree. I don't know of anything in cheese that has addictive properties. We are fat because we overeat because it takes time and effort to count calories and exercise.
    We aren't all lactose intolerant. Some of us continue to express the lac operon, some of us don't. It's no different from us having different hair colors. Also, the lactose isn't removed, they just add the lactase enzyme to it. For those of us who don't express the lac operon, the lactase helps us break down the lactose. The smaller sugars are still used just like they would be if we'd produced the lactase ourselves.

You don't have to research anything to have an opinion. But it's better to research so you don't come off as offensive or can't support your claims.
    YOU ROCK CHICK, you simply ROCK!! So much wisdom in so few of years!! Can't even begin to imagine where you'll be after finishing school...you have such a bright future and the world is open to all things for a woman such as yourself SongBSweet:flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou: :wink: \

Awwwe, thank you my dear!! I'm glad all my time studying at home like a hermit can help others out LOL! :laugh: Hopefully I won't be living in a box from all the debt after I'm done with my PhD! :bigsmile:
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Anyone who title their book that and wants to be taken seriously? Give me a break. Never saw those authors on Ellen did we?9.gif
  • KLS10
    KLS10 Posts: 127
    meat is disgusting. Good job on cutting back :)
    You can be plenty healthy and cut out all meat you just have to do it right
    If you need more help on completely cutting out meat watch the video "Meet your Meat" and I promise you will never eat it again but a warning it is the saddest video you will ever see, I watched it when I was 10 and have never looked at meat again!
  • Fitness_Chick
    Education is key. Read lots, learn lots and then make your own choices and decision. javascript:add_smiley('laugh','post_body')

Well, we'll have to agree to disagree. I don't know of anything in cheese that has addictive properties. We are fat because we overeat because it takes time and effort to count calories and exercise.
    We aren't all lactose intolerant. Some of us continue to express the lac operon, some of us don't. It's no different from us having different hair colors. Also, the lactose isn't removed, they just add the lactase enzyme to it. For those of us who don't express the lac operon, the lactase helps us break down the lactose. The smaller sugars are still used just like they would be if we'd produced the lactase ourselves.

You don't have to research anything to have an opinion. But it's better to research so you don't come off as offensive or can't support your claims.
    YOU ROCK CHICK, you simply ROCK!! So much wisdom in so few of years!! Can't even begin to imagine where you'll be after finishing school...you have such a bright future and the world is open to all things for a woman such as yourself SongBSweet:flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou: :wink: \

Awwwe, thank you my dear!! I'm glad all my time studying at home like a hermit can help others out LOL! :laugh: Hopefully I won't be living in a box from all the debt after I'm done with my PhD! :bigsmile:
    well you can paint it and it'll purty it right up! :tongue: Remember refrigerator boxes when we were little, they were fun then!! lol I know you are near 5 foot so.........well, just sayin is all!! :)

FC:heart::laugh:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Anyone who title their book that and wants to be taken seriously? Give me a break. Never saw those authors on Ellen did we?9.gif
    :laugh:
  • KLS10
    KLS10 Posts: 127
    to the girl that was talking about milk and how we don't need it - you are my hero :)
  • songbyrdsweet

well you can paint it and it'll purty it right up! :tongue: Remember refrigerator boxes when we were little, they were fun then!! lol I know you are near 5 foot so.........well, just sayin is all!! :)

LOL I could probably stand up in a fridge box haha!
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    I try to become educated about food but every study seems to contradict itself.

A few years ago it was vegetarian diet was the way to go. Now vegetarians have an increased risk of alzheimer's.

Soy milk is the way to go but too much soy causes cancer.

Eat whole grains but people who are insulin resistant need to cut out all whole grains.

I'm just going with the moderation idea.
  • wannaBme
    wannaBme Posts: 143
    Back a few posts you asked me why i thought cheese was addicting.

My first hint was trying to give it up myself and failing miserably. Then I asked several people if they had ever gone without cheese ... full fat or low fat ... have you ever quit cheese?

Grilled cheese, nacho cheese, feta cheese, cheesy macaroni, Big Mac with cheese, pasta & parmesan cheese, caesar salad with cheese, bagels and cream cheese, cottage cheese, cheddar cheese, ... Seriously, how many people have ever given all of those up ?

So i looked it up ... as you can ... search "cheese addiction" and you will find articles like this.

Why is cheese so addicting? Certainly not because of its aroma, which is perilously close to old socks. The first hint of a biochemical explanation came in 1981, when scientists at Wellcome Research Laboratories in Research Triangle Park, N.C., found a substance in dairy products that looked remarkably like morphine. After a complex series of tests, they determined that, surprisingly enough, it actually was morphine. By a fluke of nature, the enzymes that produce opiates are not confined to poppies -- they also hide inside cows' livers. So traces of morphine can pass into the animal's bloodstream and end up in milk and milk products. The amounts are far too small to explain cheese's appeal. But nonetheless, the discovery led scientists on their search for opiate compounds in dairy products.

And they found them. Opiates hide inside casein, the main dairy protein. As casein molecules are digested, they break apart to release tiny opiate molecules, called casomorphins. One of these compounds has about one-tenth the opiate strength of morphine. The especially addicting power of cheese may be due to the fact that the process of cheese-making removes water, lactose and whey proteins so that casein is concentrated. Scientists are now trying to tease out whether these opiate molecules work strictly within the digestive tract or whether they pass into the bloodstream and reach the brain directly.

This is wannaBme talking again ...
    Interestingly enough, they even add "casein" to soy cheeses. So it is very important to read the labels on our foods.

Back to the B*tches that wrote the Skinny book. As I said in the very beginning, I didn't not appreciate their language, and I do believe that it is a big mark against them (for example there are people I would like to pass some of the animal industry info on to ... but I could never recommend the book because of the language) ... but SB writers use that "shock" factor to try and shake people up ... starting with the title ... begging them to think out side the industry, and get themselves informed about what they are put in their mouths.

In their promotion of Vegetarian and Veganism they were careful mention the down side of that journey (lack of B vitamins, especially B 12) and a few other points.

I would hardly call trying a vegetarian diet dangerous though, compared to a typical american diet that consists of low nutrient highly processed preserved meals.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Actually, I don't eat cheese.

Okay, you found one article claiming that traces of opiates are found in milk, but they're so small that it can't explain why people like cheese...so at that point, the article nulls the hypothesis that cheese is actually addictive.

I have to be honest and say that conspiracy theorists rub me the wrong way. No one goes into actual cheese withdrawal. If you wanted to move in that direction, stop eating chocolate, spicy foods, and don't exercise. They're all 'addictive' because they increase a certain neurotransmitter that makes us feel good.
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member

Okay, you found one article claiming that traces of opiates are found in milk, but they're so small that it can't explain why people like cheese...so at that point, the article nulls the hypothesis that cheese is actually addictive.

I have to be honest and say that conspiracy theorists rub me the wrong way. No one goes into actual cheese withdrawal. If you wanted to move in that direction, stop eating chocolate, spicy foods, and don't exercise. They're all 'addictive' because they increase a certain neurotransmitter that makes us feel good.

Ditto :flowerforyou: At least about the conspiracy theory thing. I don't really get the neurotransmitter part :tongue:
  • wannaBme
    You asked me why I thought Cheese was addictive.
    I just answered the question with my personal experience and an article.
    You can be interested or null it as you did.

Granted you can find an article any where on the internet in favor or not, on any given subject. Which is one of THE most frustrating things for me and a lot of other people. There is so much conflicting information on diet and health and cancer prevention. Mind boggling !! if we let it be.

I've just taken my out stretched arm and swiped everything off the table. I'm start out fresh. Going with my gut feeling and ... how my gut feels. I'm starting my days with a fresh orange, then an apple or maybe a banana. Then fresh salads galore with vegies and nuts and seed and homemade dressing, then fresh BB muffins, crisp crackers, humus ... the options are endless ... and a smaller, healthy body is my reward.
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    I want to know if this Skinny stuff is true then why do I know overweight vegans/vegetarians?

Also I eat cheese if it's in something like lasagna or on pizza but I don't crave it or eat it just to eat it.
  • nightangelstars
    nightangelstars Posts: 337 Member

Also a point to make here, as the psychologist in the 'room', is that anything can be 'addictive'. It's not all about chemicals and neurotransmitters all the time, although that certainly plays a big part in the vast majority of cases! One can become addicted to alcohol, cigarettes, marijuana; but one can also become addicted to gambling, sex, and even exercise - yes there are actually people in the world addicted to exercising.

So to say something is 'addictive' is rather a subjective term - I think books are addictive, but most people wouldn't agree with me. It all boils down to the individuality point that everyone was making before - some people become addicted to certain things and activities while others quit cold-turkey things that are supposed to be horrendously addictive. It's all about you and knowing yourself. I have no intention of giving up my cheese, at any rate!
  • wannaBme
    I want to know if this Skinny stuff is true then why do I know overweight vegans/vegetarians?

My guess is .. that they are eating more processed foods than fresh ones. Additives and other processing toxins can wreck havic on the body's systems. Never mind the high fat, high simple carb content of a lot of processed foods, fast foods, and snack foods. You'll have to ask them for the exact answer though.
  • wannaBme,

I happened to skim through your original question, and went to Borders tonight with my husband. I saw the book so I was curious to see what they said about meat. Funny thing is that I took my newborn to the pediatrician this week and long story short, she does not recommend any milk once the child stops breastfeeding. She said that there are plenty of studies that prove that animal protein does leach calcium from bones, thus inducing osteoporosis, and it also worsens chronic diseases. And what's worse, for kids it can cause early chronic diabetis etc. I'm a carnivore myself as so is everyone in my family, but I'm always eager to learn more and if that's truly the case I'll definitely curb our animal protein eating habits.

She gave me a few referrals for reading so I'll pass it along to you and anyone else who may be interested. The main authors are Dean Ornish MD, and Mark Hyman MD. Dr Hyman has a website called www.ultrawellness.com that I haven't quite investigated, but it looks really good. Dr. Ornish was a physicial advisor to Pres. Clinton during his administration, so I would say they are pretty proficient in the subject. :)
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    wannaBme,

I happened to skim through your original question, and went to Borders tonight with my husband. I saw the book so I was curious to see what they said about meat. Funny thing is that I took my newborn to the pediatrician this week and long story short, she does not recommend any milk once the child stops breastfeeding. She said that there are plenty of studies that prove that animal protein does leach calcium from bones, thus inducing osteoporosis, and it also worsens chronic diseases. And what's worse, for kids it can cause early chronic diabetis etc. I'm a carnivore myself as so is everyone in my family, but I'm always eager to learn more and if that's truly the case I'll definitely curb our animal protein eating habits.

She gave me a few referrals for reading so I'll pass it along to you and anyone else who may be interested. The main authors are Dean Ornish MD, and Mark Hyman MD. Dr Hyman has a website called www.ultrawellness.com that I haven't quite investigated, but it looks really good. Dr. Ornish was a physicial advisor to Pres. Clinton during his administration, so I would say they are pretty proficient in the subject. :)

Again, I think it comes down to personal choice right now. There are studies both ways. I know that my sons pediatrician would laugh at that. Doctors are people too. Since we don't know the 'truth' yet, everyone creates their own. :flowerforyou:
  • Fitness_Chick

LOL I could probably stand up in a fridge box haha!
    :bigsmile: :laugh:
This discussion has been closed.