Should I get a cross trainer or an exercise bike?

2»

Replies

• Joisgettingfit
    Joisgettingfit Posts: 160 Member
    I, too, tried doing the home gym thing only to find out that it was costing me more money to replace equipment than it did for my gym membership. Wiith the gym membership they have the headaches when it comes to repairing or replacing equipment, Have you shopped around for gym memberships? I found one for $34.99 per month even in this bad economy and I don't have to worry about repairing or replacing equipment. In answer to your question, I prefer the cross trainers as they burn more calories and work more muscle groups than the exerclise bikes. The same applies to strength training equipment--which can work more muscle groups than do kettle bells.

It's got nothing to do with the membership price, i only pay like £20 a month anyway which is like roughly $31.25 a month.
    I haven't been in over a month and a half, i'm just throwing money down the drain being at the gym.
    I was planning on doing a lot of exercises using my own body weight (kind of like what they do on insanity) as well as incorporating kettlebells/ a barbell and some dumbells.
  • JamesBurkes
    JamesBurkes Posts: 382 Member
    Actually that good be a good, cheapish option - borrow your friend's bike and buy a Turbo trainer to run it on, indoors. You can buy rollers, too, but I think they're quite tricky to use (quite hard to balance on) - one of the turbo trainers (which screw onto the frame) might be easier and safer. Your bike will need smooth tyres though - I think the knobbly tyres on mountain bikes make it a bumpy experience! Some DVDs might make the indoor cycling more interesting, too. I found a few complete RPM workouts on the web - I'd love to do RPM in a gym (as I love it) but would need to travel 60 miles to get there, so the web workouts do me fine on days when I can't get out.
  • tiedye
    tiedye Posts: 331 Member
    i think an elliptical trainer would be best. one that has all the different modes like hill, random, interval. one with moving arms gets the full body workout. You can always bike or jog outside if you want, but you can't get the same movements on the elliptical.

If you have a regular bike, you can buy a stand for it and bike inside.

Good luck!
  • I just got an elliptical, and it is so much better than a bike! It's more of a body workout, and those exercise bike seats were awful.
This discussion has been closed.