LESS SODIUM

Options
Well i am trying to cut my sodium down to 1500 mg a day. I am not meeting this goal at all. Any tips, suggestions, or ideas on how to do this. I want to try to cut a processed food, but that is easier said then done.

Replies

• Timeforme714
    Timeforme714 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Look for low sodium sauces - like Kikkoman reduced sodium teriyaki. And Amy's organic products come in low sodium versions now. They are delicious!
  • lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Make everything from scratch and don't add salt.
  • pammyedmunds
    pammyedmunds Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I am also watching my sodium. Its hard! Lots of Fresh fruits & veggies. Before I started watching my sodium I would be over 2500mg of sodium a day, now I am around 1000-1300. Its hard but once you get a hang of it, it will be easy. I find that I am now reading the nutritional facts for everything! Feel free to friend me!
  • jcn1109
    jcn1109 Posts: 49
    Options
    There are websites that sell low sodium products, if you are unable to find them at the grocery store.
    Try Healthy Heart Market and Amazon.

Oh and for spices, there is a fairly decent variety of Mrs. Dash products now. You might have to look, but so far I've found six different spice blends, all with no sodium.
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Do you need to cut it that low for medical reasons? As long as it is below 2500 I wouldn't worry too much, especially if you are eating plenty of fresh fruit and veg and are drinking at least your 8 glasses of water. If you are exercising you will also lose some sodium through sweating.

If you need to reduce your sodium for medical reasons or because the amount you are currently eating is causing you problems, the best way is to increase your intake of fresh fruits/veg and other non-processed foods rather than thinking about what to cut out. Gradually replacing your processed foods with healthier alternatives is best. It can be really hard to do it all at once and you are more likely to give up. Doing it gradually gives you more chance to get used to the changes.

Be careful not to reduce your sodium too much, especially if you are exercising and drinking plenty, because you may start to feel very tired. Sodium is essential for your body to function normally although too much can definitely cause major problems. Go by what your doctor/dietician has recommended and you should be fine. It's great that you are focusing on healthier eating :happy:
  • cherryObebe
    Options
    I too try to keep my sodium at or below 1500 mg per day. My goal is really 1200 mg, but I seem to fall between 1500 and 1800mg per day unless I eat out, then it easily goes over 2000 mg.

I try to cut out the biggest offenders like eating out and processed foods. When you find things that are fat free or reduced fat, they typically have a lot more sodium to make up for the flavors lost. I do try to buy things that are low sodium or no salt added.

Yesterday I ate almost 1650 calories and only had 810 mg of sodium. If you want to add me, I have my food diary open to friends. I must warn you, you will also find days that my sodium (and everything else) goes way over. I too have bad days, like anyone else. There will be a lot more of them on weeks like this one. My boyfriend is currently working out of the country, so when he comes home, we go out a lot and he gets all of his meals he can't get while he is away.

Best of luck! :flowerforyou:
  • cherryObebe
    Options
    Do you need to cut it that low for medical reasons? As long as it is below 2500 I wouldn't worry too much, especially if you are eating plenty of fresh fruit and veg and are drinking at least your 8 glasses of water. If you are exercising you will also lose some sodium through sweating.

I actually came to MFP as an assignment for a clinical nutrition class. The limit of 2500 mg per day set by MFP is crazy high! That was one of the lectures based on MFP and 'healthy' practices regarding diet and exercise. I will link to sources so that you can read about recommendations from credible sources like Mayo Clinic and the CDC. I highly suggest you do your own research on sodium (and everything else). Note: there are huge differences between credible sources and those that are not. Notice the words "NO MORE THAN" in these articles.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sodium/NU00284

http://www.cdc.gov/features/sodium/

http://www.cdc.gov/features/dsSodium/
  • michedarnd
    michedarnd Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I didn't try to look at your diary, but, here are some suggestions...

RAW vegetables
    LOTS of Mrs. Dash -- there are a number of varieties
    Make as much as possible from scratch
    Avoid sauces (especially premade ones)
    Limit cheese
    Limit canned items (tuna fish, etc.)
    Pay attention to which foods are NATURALLY high in sodium (for instance, you should make tomatoes into something you seldom eat)

Those are my suggestions. I struggle to keep my sodium down, too.
  • Gtacken
    Options
    If you not suffering form hypertension, I wouldn't worry about to much. No real need to reduce your sodium intake below 2500mg per day. If your blood pressure is high, you need to concentrate on lowering your sodium intake, but there no real benefit to reducing your sodium intake below 2500mg per day. You also need to raise potassium, magnesium and calcium intakes.

Recent studies are showing there is an important link between the rations of sodium, the other electrolytes and hypertensions. high sodium and low potassium intakes are sighted regularly.

http://www.nature.com/jhh/journal/v19/n3s/full/1001955a.html

Like the other posters have already said, easiest way to do this, is eat clean. No processed foods, and lots of fruit and vege.
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options

I actually came to MFP as an assignment for a clinical nutrition class. The limit of 2500 mg per day set by MFP is crazy high! That was one of the lectures based on MFP and 'healthy' practices regarding diet and exercise. I will link to sources so that you can read about recommendations from credible sources like Mayo Clinic and the CDC. I highly suggest you do your own research on sodium (and everything else). Note: there are huge differences between credible sources and those that are not. Notice the words "NO MORE THAN" in these articles.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sodium/NU00284

http://www.cdc.gov/features/sodium/

http://www.cdc.gov/features/dsSodium/
    Thanks for that. It's very interesting. I suppose I'm a little out of touch as I have been told by my cardiologist to eat MORE sodium but that is because I have a problem with low sodium that affects my heart condition. I am probably a little out of touch about what is best for people with normal sodium levels so thanks for posting those links :happy:

I just worry that some people cut down too much and then feel unwell but now that I can see what the real recommendations are I can see that 1500 is actually very reasonable for someone without low sodium levels :smile:
  • lhinds85
    lhinds85 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    No not medical reason just heard your retain alot of water due to your sodium intake. I drink anywhere from 4 to 5 liters of water a day.
  • RBClay
    RBClay Posts: 11
    Options
    Herb Ox has a sodium free chicken broth and beef broth. It comes in a box and is where you find the bullion cubes. It is flavorful for coooking. Also buy frozen vegetables when you can because any canned food have much more sodium. If you use canned beans or canned veggies, always put them in a strainer and rinse them well. Rinse any seafood, even tuna well in a strainer with water. Also if you do any crock pot cooking they have low sodium canned creamed soups. I also ommit salt in all recipes, use other things to make up for the flavor if you need to, like garlic powder or mushrooms add lots of flavor. Stay away from powdered soup mixes, and seasoning salt. Read labels and you should do pretty good. It will come to you, I love salt, but I don't use it anymore and really, after the change, I really don't miss it . Good luck with your quest.
  • lhinds85
    lhinds85 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I personally don't use salt unless its already added to the food. Its just so much of the foods i eat are processed & that makes my sodium intake go above goal.