Love to Exercise, but Hate the Gym

Options
Ok, it's winter for me here in New England. I can't run or ride a bike in the dark. Sure, there are still a few weeks left, but I have gone every day since I was in the hospital in April. A home gym is out of the question for the moment.

I wrote a blog a few days ago, but it was more for fun. But this mornings frost really bothered me.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/dsjohndrow/

Anyway - what do you when it's dark, or very cold, or lots of snow (we had 88" last year)

Replies

• Stooooo
    Stooooo Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    P90X
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    P90X or Insanity in the comfort of my living room :)
  • bluegirl10
    bluegirl10 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Workout dvd's such as Turbo Fire, Chalean Extreme, Turbo Jam, etc...
  • AveryWays
    AveryWays Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I got my DVD workouts... Chalean Extreme, Hip Hop Abs, Insanity... just to name a few. I don't have much space but I make do with what I got.
  • datguy2011
    datguy2011 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Change the gym, if you hate your GYM.... then there's gotta be something out there... I hate it with a passion... and I found a gym that's a little more expensive but I love going! I got 4 or 5 times a week now!
  • mydeloo78
    mydeloo78 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    We had a guy who used to run in a parking garage when the weather was too bad outside.... but home videos are a great option.
  • FeelTheRhythm
    Options
    Hahaha your blog was humorous! Very true also. Like everyone else had mentioned, you can do work out DVDs from teambeachbody. I am a HUGE fan of Insanity and I even use it during the warmer seasons also.
  • bekins
    bekins Posts: 8
    Options
    I hear you, I look forward to the summer months so that I can take my workout to the pool and swim laps for 60 minutes, In the fall and spring I cruise on my bike and just use the gym for the strength-training.. However, come winter it's back to the gym for my entire workout--what a drag!:happy:
  • Stooooo
    Stooooo Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    Hahaha lots of Beachbody fans here. We must be doing something right.
  • aliciagetshealthy
    aliciagetshealthy Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Weather wise, I have the exact opposite problem - I live in Texas and the summer heat will suck the life right out of you. Almost all of my exercise consists of yoga and any Wii exercise my daughter seems inclined to torture me with. For more cardio, I also do dance (not well, and only while noones looking :embarassed: ) and step aerobics on any available staircase. Luckily (for me anyway) my weather is getting much better and I've started doing more walking. You could always fly south for the winter - all your birds are already here!
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Hahaha your blog was humorous! Very true also. Like everyone else had mentioned, you can do work out DVDs from teambeachbody. I am a HUGE fan of Insanity and I even use it during the warmer seasons also.

Thanks for reading.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Weather wise, I have the exact opposite problem - I live in Texas and the summer heat will suck the life right out of you. Almost all of my exercise consists of yoga and any Wii exercise my daughter seems inclined to torture me with. For more cardio, I also do dance (not well, and only while noones looking :embarassed: ) and step aerobics on any available staircase. Luckily (for me anyway) my weather is getting much better and I've started doing more walking. You could always fly south for the winter - all your birds are already here!

I could fly south! I ran all summer and it was close to 100 with humidity even higher some days. My joints don't tlike the cold.
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    DVDs or workout videos are great

I also agree that you might want to check out other gyms. I love my new gym that has tons of FREE classes that I love. Cycling/spinning is awesome and they have it 3 or 4 times a week, on top of strength training classes and then zumba, etc. It might be worth a shot to see if you can get a trial membership to a gym that has group classes you could try out and see if you like them.
  • Gtacken
    Options
    You can still do very effective resistance training with body weight alone. Push up variants, chins and pull ups, single leg box squats.
  • kalexander2005
    kalexander2005 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I am very lucky to have a great gym provided by our city (we pay a small monthly usage fee). IDK what I would do if I didn't have that. You guys could always move to Missouri! :)