New Discovery for breakfast

Options
amunet07
amunet07 Posts: 1,245 Member
So... I've been having a satisfying breakfast of 1/4 cup Lucerne's (safeway brand) best of the egg {30 calories}, and two strips of turkey bacon, Oscar Mayer {35 x 2 = 70} grand total 100 calories for a real breakfast! (when i'm in a hurry I usually grab a Kellogg's Protein snack bar for 110 calores not as satisfying)

BUT

Today when I went shopping they were out of my Oscar Mayer Turkey bacon... that is when I discovered Jimmy Dean's Turkey Bacon! only 25 calories a slice! MY BREAKFAST JUST BECAME 90 CALORIES.
That is 10 whole calories a day that I get to play with or save to increase my deficit !!!! I love it when you read labels and become enlightened.

Tell me about an instance where you were either pleasantly surprised, shocked or outraged after reading a label or nutritional information for a food... :happy: :heart:

Replies

• amunet07
    Options
    So... I've been having a satisfying breakfast of 1/4 cup Lucerne's (safeway brand) best of the egg {30 calories}, and two strips of turkey bacon, Oscar Mayer {35 x 2 = 70} grand total 100 calories for a real breakfast! (when i'm in a hurry I usually grab a Kellogg's Protein snack bar for 110 calores not as satisfying)

BUT

Today when I went shopping they were out of my Oscar Mayer Turkey bacon... that is when I discovered Jimmy Dean's Turkey Bacon! only 25 calories a slice! MY BREAKFAST JUST BECAME 90 CALORIES.
    That is 10 whole calories a day that I get to play with or save to increase my deficit !!!! I love it when you read labels and become enlightened.

Tell me about an instance where you were either pleasantly surprised, shocked or outraged after reading a label or nutritional information for a food... :happy: :heart:
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Have you cooked it yet does it crisp up as well as Oscar Meyer?
    Amy

118984.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Pleasantly surprised: I avoided buying shredded hashbrowns because I thought the calories would be WAY to high, being a potato product. DH picked some up at the store one time, brought it home and I read the label - I could have a whole half a cup for 70 cals! I also don't use oil when cooking. So now I can have bacon, eggs with cheese and hashbrowns for under 300 cals!

Shocked and outraged: Pillsbury cinamon rolls - 380 cals per roll!!! :noway: And I never even thought they were that tasty.... :huh:
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Okay, this thread has prompted me to get the skinny on turkey bacon.

I like SOFT bacon, I also like to throw a tsp of sugar and cinamon on while its cooking so its nice and sweet (it carmalizes more or less). Does turkey bacon get crunchy? :bigsmile:
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    On the note of bacon.... I like center cut bacon. My grocery store brand is only 50 calories and 5g fat for 2 peices! Turkey bacon just isn't the same. :tongue:
  • jdelisle
    jdelisle Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    I was shocked and outraged when i saw that the Crispy Chicken Pecan salad from Boston Pizza is almost 1,180 calories and 86 grams of fat! Wow...

Pleasantly surprised at Junior Mints. Only 170 calories for 17 of them! (Not too shabby considering they are chocolate) :)
  • tennetubbie
    tennetubbie Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I love to cook--so I am trying out different soup recipes and trying to substitute low fat when I can--it keeps me busy in the kitchen chopping and measuring---and they are less than 200 calories for a 1 1/2 cup serving so far. Chatting here stops me form eating too.

Happy
    Wendy's Grilled Chicken Go wrap 220 calories 8 g fat
    (if you just gotta:happy: eat on the run!):tongue:

Try 2 slices of thin bread
    2 TBSP of ff cream cheese and 2 oz smoked salmon yum!

I'm getting me a box of Junior Mints---I swam for an hour so can afford it!!!:happy:
  • amunet07
    Options
    The Jimmy Dean turkey bacon seems to be similar to how Oscar Mayer cooks up. I take mine out of the pan before it gets too crispy but my bf leaves his in longer and it is VERY crispy.

How much $$ is the center cut bacon. Do you have to go to the meat counter to get it?

MY OTHER PLEASANT SURPRISE:

Eating Right's carrot w/ fat free ranch dip snack pack-carrots & ff dip is only 30 calories!:heart::heart:
    Options
    [
    Depending on where you live, it can be anywhere from $2.99 for a package to $3.89 a package and that would be at a walmart. It is located on the wall where you would get the other bacon also.

How much $$ is the center cut bacon. Do you have to go to the meat counter to get it?

Eating Right's carrot w/ fat free ranch dip snack pack-carrots & ff dip is only 30 calories!:heart::heart:
    [/quote]
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    [
    Depending on where you live, it can be anywhere from $2.99 for a package to $3.89 a package and that would be at a walmart. It is located on the wall where you would get the other bacon also.

[/quote]

I pay 2.50 for a 12 ounce package. It's in the bacon section right with all the other packaged bacon.
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    my personal turkey bacon is Butterball. I found that it is the only one that doesn't have an "after taste".....in MHO
  • KLS10
    KLS10 Posts: 127
    Options
    horrible discovery: Costco muffins have 660 calories in them

good discovery: Veggie bacon strips (smart bacon yum!) has like 20 cals a slice and is AWESOME in BLT's!
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    My center cut bacon is $4.29 for 12oz but it is also nitrate free from Fresh & Easy or Trader Joe's. I think I will try the turkey bacon. I need something with less fat not necessarily low calorie- I have lots of calories. :smile:
    Amy

118984.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • amycakes812
    Options
    I am very lucky to have a butcher shop about 1.5 miles from my house. They make their own turkey bacon that is absolutely the best! I don't miss real bacon when I have that around. It is so much better than the other brands I have tried.
  • miasuperstar
    Options
    Over 1000 calories for the burritos from our local Mexican restauraunt!!! Ouch, i can't believe I used to eat a whole one plus tortillas chips. No wonder why the gym by itself wasn't working. :laugh:
  • amunet07
    Options
    oops
  • amunet07
    Options
    Shocked! :frown: :sick:

Nutrition Facts

Red Robin - Hot Apple Crisp (2 Scoops Vanilla Ice Cream)
    Servings: of
    Calories983Sodium0 mg
    Total Fat22 gPotassium0 mg
    Saturated0 gTotal Carbs193 g
    Polyunsaturated0 g Dietary Fiber13 g
    Monounsaturated0 g Sugars0 g
    Trans0 gProtein12 g
    Cholesterol0 mg
    Vitamin A0 %Calcium0 %
    Vitamin C0 %Iron0 %
    *Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000

AND!

Nutrition Facts

Robertos - Carne Asada Fries
    Servings: of
    Calories1522Sodium1514 mg
    Total Fat76 gPotassium0 mg
    Saturated29 gTotal Carbs140 g
    Polyunsaturated0 g Dietary Fiber23 g
    Monounsaturated0 g Sugars6 g
    Trans0 gProtein70 g
    Cholesterol144 mg
    Vitamin A0 %Calcium0 %
    Vitamin C0 %Iron

TWO OF MY FAVORITE COMFORT FOODS!
  • gaelbrady
    gaelbrady Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    As far as bacon goes these days...

I actually buy Morningstar Veggie Bacon. It's delicious! Two strips is only 60 calories.

Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size: 2 strips

Amount per Serving

Calories 60 Calories from Fat 40

% Daily Value *
    Total Fat 4.5g 7%
    Saturated Fat 0.5g 2%
    Monounsaturated Fat 1g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 3g
    Trans Fat 0g
    Cholesterol 0mg 0%
    Sodium 230mg 10%
    Potassium 1mg 0%
    Total Carbohydrate 2g 1%
    Dietary Fiber 1g 4%
    Sugars 0g
    Protein 2g 4%

Vitamin A 0%
    Vitamin C 0%
    Calcium 0%
    Iron 2%
    Thiamin (B1) 50%
    Riboflavin (B2) 2%
    Vitamin B6 6%
    Vitamin B12 4%

Est. Percent of Calories from:
    Fat 67.5% Carbs 13.3%
    Protein 13.3%
  • fiddlechic
    Options
    jenny-o turkey bacon is 20cal/slice
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    On the note of bacon.... I like center cut bacon. My grocery store brand is only 50 calories and 5g fat for 2 peices! Turkey bacon just isn't the same. :tongue:

The Oscar Mayer regular pre-cooked bacon is only 70 calories a serving (which is 3 slices). I'm with you, I don't like the taste of the turkey bacon, give me the real thing.