Too much salmon?

Options
I am in love with the fresh ground salmon jalepeno burgers from my local grocery store (HEB). I have eaten one patty for lunch everyday this week. I just don't get sick of them!!! Is it okay to eat salmon every day? Is it harmful in any way to eat too much of it? Any advice or information on this would be appreciated. Thank you!!!!

Replies

• jlanab
    jlanab Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I can't answer your question but I make salmon patties for breakfast and devour them like theres no tomorrow. Even my bf who was convinced he didnt like salmon scarfs them down just as quickly as he would pan fried pork sausage. So I can totally relate to you love of it. I do know that its high in fat although its a good fat keep in mind that too much of a good thing is never good. PS thanks... definately gonna pick some up next time I at HEB
  • himiller3
    Options
    This is the best place for that information:

http://water.epa.gov/scitech/swguidance/fishshellfish/outreach/advice_index.cfm

You shouldn't eat it more than 3x weekly, but eating it everyday for a week won't hurt.. Eating every day of the week for 6 months may though....

--edit--

Because of mercury in the fish....
  • ChristopherOren
    Options
    Too much mercury is the only downside from eating too much fish. Other than that, Salmon is great to eat everyday. You might want to ask them if the salmon is Pacific or North Atlantic . . . North Atlantic fish is know to contain higher amounts of Mercury.
  • Iceskatefanrn
    Iceskatefanrn Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I can't answer your question but I make salmon patties for breakfast and devour them like theres no tomorrow. Even my bf who was convinced he didnt like salmon scarfs them down just as quickly as he would pan fried pork sausage. So I can totally relate to you love of it. I do know that its high in fat although its a good fat keep in mind that too much of a good thing is never good. PS thanks... definately gonna pick some up next time I at HEB

I occasionally grab lefover salmon and wrap it in a whole wheat tortilla, warm it up, and that's a terrific breakfast on the way to work!

I'd LOVE it if you'd share your recipe for your Breakfast Salmon Patties... please???

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Ice
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Oh wow, that sounds amazing! I'll have to look at HEB. Is it in the fish market section?
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    Eating that much salmon doesn't make you smell like it? People who eat a lot of curry smell like curry, people who eat a lot of garlic & onion start smelling like garlic and onion, so I would be afraid eating a lot of fish would make me smell like...
  • jhalton
    jhalton Posts: 85
    Options
    Most salmon patties come from wild chum salmon which are considered a 'low mercury' fish. FDA and most doctors says you should not eat more than 3-4 servings of low mercury fish per week. Personally, I take these mercury warnings with a grain of salt. You could make your own from farm raised salmon. I know it's not as convenient, but they would not have all the fillers, chemicals, etc. Either way, this is a great source of protein and omega 3's. Since I sell fish for a living, I am a bit biased :-)!
  • janamuma
    Options
    You should try them if you have an HEB nearby. But beware!!! You will become addicted! They are just soooooo good!
  • janamuma
    Options
    Great! Thank you!!!!
  • karenwhitham
    Options
    Would love the recepie never heared of them Thank you.
  • janamuma
    Options
    hiles177 - Pretty sure eating too much fish doesn't make you smell like it, but thanks for the concern and reply.
  • janamuma
    Options
    Yes, Fish market section. They have jalepeno, Mediterranean and bruschetta. I have tried all of them but the jalepeno is the best. Not too spicy. I actually add seranno sometimes. I even eat them some mornings with a fried egg on top. YUMMY!!!!!
  • jlanab
    jlanab Posts: 89 Member
    Options

I occasionally grab lefover salmon and wrap it in a whole wheat tortilla, warm it up, and that's a terrific breakfast on the way to work!

I'd LOVE it if you'd share your recipe for your Breakfast Salmon Patties... please???

Ice

I dont know exact measurments but for sure I use

two packs of salmon (2.6 oz each)
    1 egg
    seasonings to taste (salt, pepper, bit of onion powder, and PAPRIKA <-- makes it smokey and yummy)
    1 tablespoon Cream of mushroom soup (I used to uses Cambell's but now use Pacific Nature b/c its gluten free)
    bread crumbs (eyeball depending on how you like the consistency)
    fist full of shredded parmesean cheese
    i chop/dice roasted red bell peppers for extra flavor

mix in a bowl and form into patties
    lightly coat the outside with flour of choice (i sprinkle my flour with a little salt and pepper)
    pan fry in butter (i use either cast iron or stainless steel pan
  • Iceskatefanrn
    Iceskatefanrn Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

I dont know exact measurments but for sure I use

two packs of salmon (2.6 oz each)
    1 egg
    seasonings to taste (salt, pepper, bit of onion powder, and PAPRIKA <-- makes it smokey and yummy)
    1 tablespoon Cream of mushroom soup (I used to uses Cambell's but now use Pacific Nature b/c its gluten free)
    bread crumbs (eyeball depending on how you like the consistency)
    fist full of shredded parmesean cheese
    i chop/dice roasted red bell peppers for extra flavor

mix in a bowl and form into patties
    lightly coat the outside with flour of choice (i sprinkle my flour with a little salt and pepper)
    pan fry in butter (i use either cast iron or stainless steel pan
    [/quote]

I'm gonna make these for sure - they sound fantastic, thank you!

Ice
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    I'm a self-confessed salmon addict & I always buy either salmon belly or Norwegian salmon everytime I grocery. But I prefer to eat mine as it is with only salt & pepper to season it then wither grill it or bake it in oven. Sometimes I go to a Japanese resto to have my salmon sushi or salmon sashimi.

For me there's nothing wrong with eating salmon frequently especially if you're watching over your calories. Just a side note though, make sure you don't fry it with too much oil as the fish itself is already fatty (though those are omega-3 fats which are healthy).