No Gimmicks, No Tricks

Options
I must say that I feel quite empowered!!! I have tried many diets, battled with an eating disorder and for the first time in my life I feel in control. I have done my research and I now know more about what foods I can eat, which foods work better for my body as it relates to fueling it, giving it what it needs, and why it is important to exercise. Armed with this knowledge, I have been more successful than I have ever been and I see results. In the past I think I was more or less looking for quick fix through pills, Atkins, fasting, etc, and while all gave me results, they were not lasting results. I did not like that I had to restrict foods from my diet that I really loved and then when I reintroduced them, I would gain the weight back. The most important thing I have learned is patience. I have been indulging in unhealthy eating habits for a while so it is going to take a while for me to see noticeable results. I must say, I am not overweight but I am not in the best shape I could be in and for me, that is what it is all about. It is no longer about fitting into a certain dress, although that is rewarding, and it is no longer about a short term goal. It is a lifetime committment that I am committed to. In order to lose weight and keep it off, you have to change your diet and you MUST exercise. I disliked the gym, hated going, and loathed those who said they enjoyed it. I would get in the habit for a few weeks, then find an excuse not to go. MY whole atttiude has changed towards the gym and I see it now as a necessary evil which results in GOOD results. I eat foods I love still but I use self control and watch my portion size. I allow myself a day to where I am not necessarily counting calories and this give me something to look forward to. Our bodies are like cars in that if we service them they will perform at optimum potential. If you don't get your oil changed, or change your tires, or get engine checks, your car will not run and that is the same concept with our bodies! Take time out of your day and exercise for thirty minutes to an hour.. it will not hurt you at all. Don't look for a quick fix but rather a quick fix and keep a positive attitude on your journey. YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

Replies

• czechsmate
    czechsmate Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Nicely put! Great post! :flowerforyou:
  • donewiththew8
    Options
    Love this and this was definitely what I needed to see today!
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I must say that I feel quite empowered!!! I have tried many diets, battled with an eating disorder and for the first time in my life I feel in control. I have done my research and I now know more about what foods I can eat, which foods work better for my body as it relates to fueling it, giving it what it needs, and why it is important to exercise. Armed with this knowledge, I have been more successful than I have ever been and I see results. In the past I think I was more or less looking for quick fix through pills, Atkins, fasting, etc, and while all gave me results, they were not lasting results. I did not like that I had to restrict foods from my diet that I really loved and then when I reintroduced them, I would gain the weight back. The most important thing I have learned is patience. I have been indulging in unhealthy eating habits for a while so it is going to take a while for me to see noticeable results. I must say, I am not overweight but I am not in the best shape I could be in and for me, that is what it is all about. It is no longer about fitting into a certain dress, although that is rewarding, and it is no longer about a short term goal. It is a lifetime committment that I am committed to. In order to lose weight and keep it off, you have to change your diet and you MUST exercise. I disliked the gym, hated going, and loathed those who said they enjoyed it. I would get in the habit for a few weeks, then find an excuse not to go. MY whole atttiude has changed towards the gym and I see it now as a necessary evil which results in GOOD results. I eat foods I love still but I use self control and watch my portion size. I allow myself a day to where I am not necessarily counting calories and this give me something to look forward to. Our bodies are like cars in that if we service them they will perform at optimum potential. If you don't get your oil changed, or change your tires, or get engine checks, your car will not run and that is the same concept with our bodies! Take time out of your day and exercise for thirty minutes to an hour.. it will not hurt you at all. Don't look for a quick fix but rather a quick fix and keep a positive attitude on your journey. YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

Well said.
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options

This one gets my nomination for post of the month!!!
  • Black_Swan
    Black_Swan Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Very nice post, I agree!
  • littleenginethatcan
    Options
    Great post! I feel empowered also. I feel strong in both my body and my mind. It's an awesome feeling! Thanks for sharing!
  • wagreen
    wagreen Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Wow I almost felt like you have had a conversation with me. This is exactly where I am right now. Thanks alot and I am a witness that everything you said is absolutley true. Portion size and exercise are key and I use 2 cheat days and I am still doing good...thanks for sharing!
  • babygurl48
    babygurl48 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Beautifully said!!!
  • rosepetals_03
    rosepetals_03 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Well said! I've been doing this for 1 1/2 years now and have went from 190 down to 136 and I feel awesome (not quite at my final goal yet)! I have been overweight my entire life and I used to try to find that 'quick fix' of diet pills, etc but finally realized last year that if I want this bad enough I need to do the work to get there.I had my son in June and when I went back to work everyone was shocked at how different I looked and I have ppl ask me all the time "what diet are you on" and things like that....or they think I just got lucky after I had my son. I explain to them I have been busting my butt for the last year and a half by working out and counting calories. LOL of course when I say counting calories most roll their eyes at me... but then I explain to them I used to have that mentality of 'stuipid people reading the labels and counting calories...I'm never doing that', but this website has made me realize how much I was eating and what kind of junk I was eating. I am the first to admit I do not eat completely healthy, but I no longer go for that bag of chips when I want a snack...I reach for grapes/strawberries/ etc. I am so thankful I stumbled upon this website - it changed my life and I'm never going back to the 'old me'.
  • BenKnowsFitness
    BenKnowsFitness Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    You are correct. It's hard for some to hear your words though.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!