newly pregnant, need advice

Options
1sisrat
1sisrat Posts: 267 Member
I'm going through that phase of nothing is quite right or really sounds all that good with hunger pains/nausia. does anyone have any recipe's or quick to make snacks, smoothies, meals, etc that will make sure I get the nurtrients and are not too strong in odor? Nothing is really hitting the spot and nutrition is very important to me. Advice is good too. This is my first pregnancy and anything is good. I'm 8 weeks.

Replies

• Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I dunno...but I hear bananas taste the same coming up as going down
  • 1sisrat
    1sisrat Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    so much help... and those are repulsing me right now.
  • Krull_the_WarriorKing
    Options
    Remember that hanging out with a baby is like hanging out with a really, really small… really, really hammered person all the time. That’s really all a baby is. Just the smallest drunkest person that you ever seen in your life. I found myself talking to my sister’s baby the same way I do a buddy at the end of a Saturday night. It’s the same conversation. It’s just me standing over him going, “What’s wrong dude? Why you crying?”
  • beginswithb
    Options
    I was a smoothie addict during my first trimester. Fruits, veggies, some bee pollen, ginger... yum! "Real" food was too much for my sensitive stomach. If you don't want to juice veggies, get some V8 and mix it with lots of fruits in a smoothie. :)
  • beginswithb
    Options
    Also, they make these things called Preggo Pops. They're suckers that supposedly help with morning sickness. There are also teas that help. Chamomile, peppermint and ginger helps with icky tummies.
  • plagirl227
    Options
    Cherries were my thing. Eggs and grits. I absolutely could not tolerate chicken at all during my pregnancy.
  • My3Rayz
    My3Rayz Posts: 373
    Options
    Remember that hanging out with a baby is like hanging out with a really, really small… really, really hammered person all the time. That’s really all a baby is. Just the smallest drunkest person that you ever seen in your life. I found myself talking to my sister’s baby the same way I do a buddy at the end of a Saturday night. It’s the same conversation. It’s just me standing over him going, “What’s wrong dude? Why you crying?”

You nailed the golden rule of parenting!!
  • JJeMitchell
    JJeMitchell Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    8 oz. vanilla soymilk (or regular skim milk), 1 packet Carnation Instant breakfast, some frozen berries, 1/2 a banana, maybe some ice cubes- tasted like candy, and gave me TONS of vitamins. I drank it very slowly and never threw up.

GOOD LUCK!!!! :)
  • JJeMitchell
    JJeMitchell Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    oops: I forgot to mention...these were the ingredients for my smoothie! blend it up lol
  • DancinSMartiPants
    Options
    The only advice I can give you is eat what DOESN'T smell bad. Everyone is different, so follow your instincts and don't force anything. You'll feel pretty normal in about a month or so when you hit your 2nd trimester and your appetite will likely be more normal, too.
  • thirtyandthriving
    thirtyandthriving Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I used to snack on ginger snaps. Ginger is supposed to help with nausea. it helped me when I was prego with my twins. or maybe some ginger tea. they also have pill form
    This is true. There are also ginger candies that you can find to suck on. They are usually at baby of maternity stores. Baby's r us and motherhood maternity. You can also find them online.
  • CMH24
    CMH24 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    B.R.A.T diet - Bananas, rice, applesauce and toast... those are easy to digest. Gingersnaps helped me with nausea. I also found that when cravings do kick in.... cave. It is better to eat when you are truly wanting something and get food in your body then not at all.
  • lisabstrong
    lisabstrong Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Congratuations and never mind the goofy folks who have commented thus far I was nauseated from the beginning to the with all 3 kids and yes despite that I still had 3 kids!

Ginger is excellent, ginger tea, ginger snaps etc...I took a medication called Diclectin that was awesome for pregnancy. Its a form of gravol and it really works well. Safe for use in Canada with pregancies. I would obviously check with your doctor before you take anything as well it is only available by prescription.

The only thing I did not understand during my pregancies that I do now is how importan protien is to keeping blood sugar levels stable and keeping you feeling good even if you may not.

Good luck and rest when you need it!
  • rossi02
    rossi02 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    The first trimester with both of my pregnancies, I ate my weight in cantaloup and mango. Pears and apples were also good, I just had to avoid most meat. The smell of it just did me in. I also couldn't handle yogurt, but by the time I hit my second trimester.. I was drinking milk by the gallon!
  • STARSHINE1975
    Options
    The only advice I can give you is eat what DOESN'T smell bad. Everyone is different, so follow your instincts and don't force anything. You'll feel pretty normal in about a month or so when you hit your 2nd trimester and your appetite will likely be more normal, too.

Pretty much this. Eat what you can keep down. Take your prenatal vitamins and don't worry too much about the rest of your nutrition. If you can't keep it down, then you are not benefiting from it either. It will all balance out. And your body has a way of getting what it needs through cravings.

Good luck and congrats!
  • brph26
    brph26 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    The first few weeks/months of my second pregnancy I pretty much lived on ginger ale and ginger snaps. lol Oh, and lets not forget about the saltine crackers. I know that's not much for nutrition, but it will get better in a few weeks for you and you can get back on track then.
  • ThePhoenixRose
    ThePhoenixRose Posts: 1,985 Member
    Options
    I lived on apple juice and graham crackers during my first pregnancy. I lost 17lbs in that first trimester because i was SO SICK. The good news is that i never got sick again from the time i got to my second semester on. So, there's a light at the end of the tunnel. Good luck!!!
  • SimplyShanRunning
    SimplyShanRunning Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem

Apple juice.......saltines.....Thats all I could ingest for 3 months.....Good luck hun
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    In the first trimester, saltines were my friend.
  • Steffi330
    Steffi330 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    If your taking prenatal vitamins, try taking them at night just before you close your eyes! I found that they actually made me sick and if I took them at night just before I closed my eyes they didn't make me ill. If it did upset my stomach I slept right through it and therefore no throwing up. Good luck!