Starving to stuffed

Options
Since I started this weight loss push, I feel like my appetite has made a strange change. I will be STARVING. Ravenously hungry. But then when I eat a little bit, I will suddenly feel uncomfortably full. I haven't had this issue before, and I'm not quite sure what causes it. I imagine I've trained my body to eat less and should appreciate it (I do!), but it surprises me because I'm always *so* hungry when it happens. Sometimes the stuffed feeling won't last long, and then I'll be incredibly hungry all over again (rinse and repeat). Is my body trying to force me to several smaller meals a day?

What do you think would cause this? Is your body doing strange things now that you're exercising more and eating better?

Replies

• anjukins
    anjukins Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    my understanding is that once you start eating reasonably sized meals consistently, your stomach shrinks back to about the size of your fist, so eating anything more than that volume is going to make you feel full and gross. but also, since there's less food in your belly, it digests more quickly and empties sooner. So that's what i bet is happening. I think it's a good thing... and there's LOTS of research that suggests that eating 5 small meals a day is better for your metabolism than eating three large ones. :)
  • amberl10
    amberl10 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with the previous poster. I know since I started MFP I can tell my stomach has shrunk. Months ago I would be starving when eating the exact same thing I am eating now. It just takes time to adjust to your food intake and then yes it does empty sooner then normal. I would just try to eat every 3 hours even if you aren't hungry and it can be something small.
  • skinnygirl49
    Options
    THAT IS NOT MY CASE. I WISH I FELT LIKE THAT BUT I DON'T. SOMETIMES I DON'T KNOW IF I AM HUNGRY, THRISTY ARE JUST DEPRESSED. GO FIGURE!!!!!!
  • mollb
    mollb Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    That makes sense! Thanks for the explanation. I've exercised a lot in the past, but I've never really dieted. The calorie counting is definitely making a major difference for me and having some pleasant surprise side effects :)