Interesting Thing Jillian Said

Options
I was doing one of my Jillian Michaels workout videos today and I think she mentioned something that was really interesting.

Many people on here ask - how can I get rid of my stomach fat? How can I get rid of my fatty thighs/butt, etc.? As we already know, we CANNOT spot train a certain area of our bodies. Fat comes off where it wants to, no matter what we do. We can do 1,000 sit-ups a day and the fat on top of our tummy muscles STILL may not come off as quickly as we want.

BUT, today Jillian was doing upper body strength training. We were working on arms, shoulders, and upper back muscles. She said that you cannot spot train to make your stomach fat go away, BUT you can give the illusion of a smaller stomach/waist if you work your upper body muscles and tone them. If you make your back and shoulders more toned and a little bigger, then you give yourself more of an hourglass figure. (just what we want, huh, ladies??)

Anyway, I thought that was cool and good advice. Of course she's not talking about us women having big huge beefy shoulders and back - just toning them a bit. Heck - look at her body, her muscles aren't huge and gross looking for a female!

Replies

• kolbif
    kolbif Posts: 83
    Options
    I was doing one of my Jillian Michaels workout videos today and I think she mentioned something that was really interesting.

Many people on here ask - how can I get rid of my stomach fat? How can I get rid of my fatty thighs/butt, etc.? As we already know, we CANNOT spot train a certain area of our bodies. Fat comes off where it wants to, no matter what we do. We can do 1,000 sit-ups a day and the fat on top of our tummy muscles STILL may not come off as quickly as we want.

BUT, today Jillian was doing upper body strength training. We were working on arms, shoulders, and upper back muscles. She said that you cannot spot train to make your stomach fat go away, BUT you can give the illusion of a smaller stomach/waist if you work your upper body muscles and tone them. If you make your back and shoulders more toned and a little bigger, then you give yourself more of an hourglass figure. (just what we want, huh, ladies??)

Anyway, I thought that was cool and good advice. Of course she's not talking about us women having big huge beefy shoulders and back - just toning them a bit. Heck - look at her body, her muscles aren't huge and gross looking for a female!
  • j_g4ever
    j_g4ever Posts: 1,925 Member
    Options
    She said a little bit of that on the 30day shred and yea that was really cool. Im all about that. Anything to make my stomach look smaller. :drinker:
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    I've heard that before but along time ago and forgot about it. Thanks for the reminder.
    I'd love to have Jillian's arms! I've been doing some weight training for my upper body but I think it's time to step it up!
  • amunet07
    amunet07 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I'd love to have most of her body... (I'll keep the girls I have though :laugh: )

I probably should do more upper body strength training. I've been mostly working on aerobics to get the fat off and then plan to hit the strength training to tone.
  • rogers8702
    rogers8702 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    i have read that some where before also, it always nice to have a reminder that we cant decide exactly how are bodies will turn out and it helps me to nty get so discouraged when i look in the mirror
  • jenifergotti
    jenifergotti Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    great advice... I hadn't thought of this before!