Cardio or Strength Training First?

Options
I was just wondering what was more beneficial if you are doing both strength/weight training and cardio work in the same workout session. Which should I do first?

Replies

• kolbif
    kolbif Posts: 83
    Options
    I was just wondering what was more beneficial if you are doing both strength/weight training and cardio work in the same workout session. Which should I do first?
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    do your strength training first then cardio. you won't be able to put as much strength into weight training if you do your cardio first

so do 5 min cardio warm up to loosen muscles/warm body
    strength training
    cardio
  • j_g4ever
    j_g4ever Posts: 1,925 Member
    Options

that was a great question thank you for asking it. :drinker:
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options

that was a great question thank you for asking it. :drinker:

I second that...great question!!
  • hdtoolgirl
    hdtoolgirl Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    The trainers at my gym recommended starting cardio first to get the blood flowing and muscles warm and loose, also getting your heart going keeps your BPM up during weights( Thus keeping the calories burning!) Then doing the strength training, then go back and do some more cardio.
    My pattern has been 20minutes on the Elliptical, 30 minutes lifting, then twenty minutes on either the bike or Arc. I find it breaks up the workout, 40 minutes on the elliptical can be very monotonous, and I tend to lose interest. This pattern is working best for me.
  • SGFlyinHi
    SGFlyinHi Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people say that you should do cardio after weight training. I say you need to find what works best for you.

For me I have found I do better when I can do my cardio first then my weight taining. I am always so drained after my training that I don't put 100% into my cardio when I do it after. Whereas, when I do 30min of cardio before my training I still have enough energy left to get me through my workout. If I don't do my cadio first, I do at least a 5 min warm up and then stretch before my training.

Good luck and just find what works best for you.
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    It depends on your goals. I read somewhere that if you are looking into improving your aerobic finess do cardio first. That way you use up all your energy on your cardio workout. If you are looking into developing strength then do strength trng first. Of course warm up first for about 10 minutes. And you can always do cardio one day and concentrate on strength trng the next day so you are alternating your workouts and do jam everything into one workout. :flowerforyou:
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people say that you should do cardio after weight training. I say you need to find what works best for you.

For me I have found I do better when I can do my cardio first then my weight taining. I am always so drained after my training that I don't put 100% into my cardio when I do it after. Whereas, when I do 30min of cardio before my training I still have enough energy left to get me through my workout. If I don't do my cadio first, I do at least a 5 min warm up and then stretch before my training.

Good luck and just find what works best for you.

By the way, YOU LOOK AMAZING!!!!!! :drinker: :drinker: GREAT JOB!!!! :happy: :flowerforyou: