belly dancing...anyone tried it?

Options
amfmmama
amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
Thinking of taking a class. Wondering if anyone has had any success with it.

Replies

• adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I've never tried it but I knew a lady who did and she loved it
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I have some videos - it's a good workout!
  • Soccer_chick916
    Soccer_chick916 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    i did videos. they were fun... but I rather do them when I am on my last 20 lbs
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    My taekwondo teacher's wife (who also does TKD) is a fantastic belly dancer. After her second child was born she was a size 12 (she's 5'2") Between TKD, dancing, working out and watching what she ate she got herself back down to a size 2. She has amazing ab control and says that belly dancing is an amazing workout. Right now she's learning tribal dancing and says that's a whole other set of muscles to work!
  • Timeforme714
    Timeforme714 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    My belly dances all the time! LOL. I've never tried it...but it looks fun.
  • janet_pratt
    janet_pratt Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I did and I loved it. It was a good core workout and it made me feel really good. Very in touch with my femininity. Go for it.
  • MissMollieK
    MissMollieK Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I tried a video on the internet that taught it and I was awful. good luck. I think it would really help to do this class live. I think hulu had a belly dancing exercise show somewhere. If interested I would try searching on their site to give it a try. You will also work those hips and abs for sure! Go for it!
  • Whisker58
    Options
    My wife wants to try it!
  • Tantrisis
    Options
    I took up bellydancing when I was 32 years old and after my second son was born, I can honestly say it was at that time that I was in the best shape of my life. It's an amazing work out, my goal will be to Bellydance on my 50th birthday, a year from now and I will fit back into my 500.00 hand sewn costume.
  • LendaJ
    LendaJ Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've never tried belly dancing per se, but I'm beginning to get into Zumba and it has a belly dancing component. Should be interesting.
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    I take belly dancing classes. It's very sensual and fun. Definitely makes you feel sexy, strengthens your core and helps your posture too. It's not a big calorie burner but is a great strengthening workout. My teacher is a professional belly dancer and she makes everyone from novice to expert feel welcome. I just happened to be a natural from the beginning. :blushing:

Go for it and have fun with it. You won't regret it!
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    I love it. I just started taking classes, and I burn 300-400 calorie for every hour. Its a good work out, and works weird muscles (you end up sore in places you never use LOL)
  • Krisengel
    Krisengel Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I tried a video once and was sweating before I got through the warm-up. It was a great workout, but I wasn't coordinated enough to keep up with the moves. It could be fun if you like to dance.
  • coachpzizzle
    coachpzizzle Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have tried it and it was fun, but I didn't feel like it was an overall workout. That said, I read that often people aren't doing belly dancing right and they end up not getting optimal benefits. I assume I didn't do it right :-/
  • han38
    han38 Posts: 9
    Options
    My sister and I did classes for a few years and loved it. It was SO much fun and really liberating - because you are moving and celebrating all the bits you normally suck in and keep still (hips, belly etc). I wouldn't think it is a huge calorie burner though we did work up a wee bit of a sweat sometimes but it was fantastic for toning and core strength and muscle control and posture. I would recommend it :)
  • MissMollieK
    MissMollieK Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Ok I posted you could find a site on hulu.com here is the name of the show: "Dance and be fit" . It features belly dancing, bollywood style dancing, and I love the abs dancing workout. I didn't care so much for the bollywood. Hope this helps:)
  • NikiRoxx87
    Options
    I haven't tried it yet but Xfinity on Demand Exercise TV has a few videos that I'm definitely gonna try. Shakira has great abs and I've always wanted to learn. It'd be another great dance to learn besides ballet, tap & jazz :smile:
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I'm a professional belly dancer; I love it. Not a huge calorie burn, but great fun and makes you feel energized.
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    thanks for all of the responses! I think I am going to take the class. I will let you know!
  • denisegolden
    denisegolden Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    its a lot of fun, and great for isolating muscle groups...i still dont feel as coordinated as i would like. lol