Recommeded calories per day for WLS

Options
I have had WLS (Gastric Bypass) and was wondering if there are any other MFP's that have had Weight Loss Surgery and know the recommended calories per day to consume. I would appreciate it and would love to make new friends also. We all have something in
common...we are on a journey to better health and wellness. I have been on here almost a month and I love this site. It is a wonderful support system with very useful tools. I was 348 lbs when I had my GB 10-6-09 and have lost 112 lbs thus far and have gone from a size 28 to a now 16. I was a severe diabetic on 5 insulin shots a day and 2,000mg of Metformin. I had many complications related to diabetes and now it has completely reversed. I have an entire new lease on life which I am very thankful for and also a cancer survivor. I am truly blessed. :flowerforyou: Thank you for your help and God bless. (:

Replies

• Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I had gastric bypass on February 7, 2011. My nutritionist said I do not have a set amount of calories per day. I have to eat 75-100 grams of protein and 75-100 grams carbs a day. This averages 900-1200 calories a day depending where my protein and carb levels fall. My sugar is 30 or less grams a day and fat is 40 or less grams a day. I am off all my medication for high blood pressure. I should be off my diabetes medication when I see the doctor again in December.
  • sarahwls100609
    sarahwls100609 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thank you Kelly. I consume approximately 90-120g of protein. I am primarily a vegetarian due to severe GERD I cannot tolerate
    meat unless it's puree or xtra soft so, I drink whey protein shakes. Nexium and pepcid is very helpful. I find that I am ALWAYS under my 1200 cal per day and was just curious. I appreciate it. :)
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I cannot do protein drinks. I get most all my protein from food. I use Body Fortress Protein Shot if I need a supplement of protein but not too often. I think I had to drink too many before and right after my surgery. I cannot stomach milk anymore but then I was never a big milk drinker anyway.

I average about a 1000 calories a day.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    Options
    Hello there!! Congrats on your new lease on life!!!

I had WLS in 2004. My group never recommended an actual calorie range. Their recommendations were always how many grams of protien.

Welcome to MFP!!
  • sarahwls100609
    Options
    I enjoy the protein drinks but, try to eat foods that contain protein as well such as egg beaters, greek yogurt, cottage cheese etc. I use Lactose free milk with my shakes due to being lactose intolerant after WLS. Love my vegetables though. I use the Body Fortress
    protein shot as well. Not too often only when I need an extra boost of protein. I am averaging approx 900-1000 cal so, I guess that is good. I appreciate your input and wish you well on your weight loss journey. :)
  • sarahwls100609
    Options
    Thanks Mollie. You are doing wonderful as well on your journey. Keep up the great work. :)
  • rockeraxXx
    Options
    Wow sarah!! Your story is awesome. I just had to say you rock :) Keep up the good work and journey to being healthy and feeling great. -rosalie-
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    Options
    Thanks Mollie. You are doing wonderful as well on your journey. Keep up the great work. :)

Thanks Sarah! :flowerforyou: