Food for thought

Do you find it harder to lose the pounds the closer you get to your goal?
Like, with me, when I started at 150 I dropped almost 20 pounds in about 2-3 weeks. And now I weighed in after doing all the same things I've been doing [i.e. eating healthy, exercising more] only two and a half weeks later and I was only about 8 pounds less, needless to say, I'm disappointed.
Mainly, I'm just wondering if anyone else is having the same problems with dropping that excess weight the closer you get to your ultimate goal.

Replies

• Raf702
    Raf702 Posts: 196 Member
    The lighter you become the less your body will work to burn calories. There isn't much weight left physically on you to lose when you've reached a certain weight. We all hit a plateau at some point, that's when discipline comes into play. Those last 5-10lbs is the hardest or most challenging for most. But if you maintain a calorie deficit, you will lose that last bit of pounds. Your patience will me strained, but you just have to continue fighting hard against it.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Ya, the first 40 was simply a change in diet...
    the next 30 or so was with added cardio...

the next was cardio + running 4x a week..super-hard to get under 200lbs..

lastly, SUPER clean diet, exercise every day got me to 180. Probly impossible to maintain.
    Probably ate 1/3 of what I used to.

I stay around 200lbs normally. And look fine. That's eatiny fairly healthy and working out 3-5x a week, less in the summer when I'm playin sports.
  • tnic86
    tnic86 Posts: 134 Member
    Don't beat yourself up--that is phenomenal weight loss. But, to answer your question, yes...I do find it harder. I have 4 more pounds to lose and it's coming of slllooowwww. Just gotta keep with it, though, and it'll come off. :)
  • Yeah, I'm vegan, so I eat basically a balance of fruits, veggies, nuts, and beans or the like. I also do jumping jacks, abdominal crunches and walking daily. I try to hit the gym for water aerobics at least once a week, and I try to get out for a jog. I'm just getting so frustrated with not losing weight. And today I feel like I look more bloated than usual. :[
  • tnic86
    I feel your pain. I was actually having the same conversation with a friend of mine today. The weight just falls off at the beginning...it's definitely frustrating when it slows down. It's hard to keep from throwing in the towel, but I refuse to. I've came so far already. Sounds like you're doing great!
  • Yeah, the last two days tho I screwed up and ate well over my calorie goal. And I did extra workouts to try to work it off, but I feel like I messed everything up. I feel like crying. Potato Chips are evil.
  • denisegolden
    denisegolden Posts: 206 Member
    okay, so like you are weight lifting...the more weight you lift, the more calories you burn...well, consider your body a weight, the more you weigh, the more you burn, just by moving around. as you become lighter, you are required to do "more" in order to get the equal results. also, often when you first start your "life" changes (i.e. diet and excercise changes) especially if you are introducing more fluids and more movement, your body expells alot of "water" weight. thus, the BIG drop in weight, right in the beginning.
  • OH Wow, that actually makes alot of sense. haha. Thank you so much everyone. This really helps. ^.^ I'll try not to get discouraged. thanks.
  • Raf702
    Raf702 Posts: 196 Member
    At one point, I didn't exercise or hit the gym for 2-3 weeks. But my nutrition was on point, and I still continued to lose weight/fat during that time.
  • denisegolden
    denisegolden Posts: 206 Member
    Yeah, the last two days tho I screwed up and ate well over my calorie goal. And I did extra workouts to try to work it off, but I feel like I messed everything up. I feel like crying. Potato Chips are evil.

yes, they are evil...but honey, you didnt mess everything up, you know what to do...forget the past(although, you keep in mind what can happen if you repeat it) and look forward...plan your meals the day before you eat them, plan your snacks as well, if you normally eat them, and stick to it...then you can plan in some potato chips, try a small bag of baked chips(like you get at subway) and have it worked into your plan, then it wont mess up your calorie count...you can even put in the "cheat foods", like chips first and then work around them...you'll be fine!!
  • tnic86
    Yeah, the last two days tho I screwed up and ate well over my calorie goal. And I did extra workouts to try to work it off, but I feel like I messed everything up. I feel like crying. Potato Chips are evil.

Oh my...they are. Have you tried pita chips? I haven't yet, but I've heard good things about them. I usually steer clear of big bags of stuff like chips, though, because I'll eat the whole bag...lol.
  • tnic86

yes, they are evil...but honey, you didnt mess everything up, you know what to do...forget the past(although, you keep in mind what can happen if you repeat it) and look forward...plan your meals the day before you eat them, plan your snacks as well, if you normally eat them, and stick to it...then you can plan in some potato chips, try a small bag of baked chips(like you get at subway) and have it worked into your plan, then it wont mess up your calorie count...you can even put in the "cheat foods", like chips first and then work around them...you'll be fine!!

I agree completely! All hope is not lost! Just do better tomorrow. You can do it!
  • You guys are amazing. thank you. :] I feel alot better now. I'll try harder from now on.
  • tnic86
    You're so welcome! This is the beauty of MFP--a place for support and motivation!