Low Carb, Sugar-free buttercream icing

Options
LATeagno
LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
Around my home, I'm known as the baking lady. I operate a home cupcake business and love to bake. However, over the past year or so, I've been busy watching calories and carbs, so many of my favorite things to make are nearly no-nos to me since they contain tons of sugar. I mean, I'll eat a cupcake here and there... but i don't ever bake batches of them to keep around the house. Not that I would otherwise, but this just makes it worse.

OK, so for a long, long, LONG time, I searched for a good cake icing that is sugar free. Most sugar-free icing recipes call for Xanthan gum or other thickeners, which often give the icing a weird mouth feel. That, or they call for confectioner's sugar substitutes, which are all right-- but still have quite a lot of net carbs.

Tonight, however, I perfected low-carb, sugar free icing-- and it is absolutely amazing. Light, fluffy-- no weird thickeners. It's bakery-style and yummy! Perfect for cakes or cupcakes!

Wanted to share the recipe because this is a huge accomplishment for me!

Here you are!

ingredients:

1 cup Xylitol (or other granulated sweetener, although i <3 xylitol (Ideal Sweetener)
2 large egg whites
1 tsp. vanilla (or other flavored extract
1 stick plus 1 tablespoon softened NO-SALT butter (important)
1 teaspoon corn starch

Bring some water (about 1/2 way full) in a small sauce pan to a boil.

Put a small glass or metal bowl over the pan to use as a makeshift double boiler.

Add egg whites and sugar substitute to the pan. Stir for a long time until the granules are completely dissolved. Make sure they are totally dissolved-- this is really important.

Transfer egg white mixture to a small mixing bowl and beat on medium speed until the mixture is white and has doubled in bulk. Then add in vanilla (or whatever extract) and butter. Beat on medium-high for no less than eight minutes. If necessary, sprinkle in corn starch if the mixture is too thin. I don't often have to use it, but it is good to have it on hand if necessary. If you beat it long enough, the consistency will usually even itself out. :)

Frost your small cake (or 12 cupcakes), or refrigerate icing. About 100 calories per serving and just one carb! And it's fantastic!!! :)

Replies