Counting Burned Carlories

Options
I wanted to get everyone's take on this:

Do I just enter the exercise I've done at the gym or should I be counting the time I spend walking across campus with a 10lb+ backpack on my back, plus the stairs I have to climb at school? I've generally been only entering the exercise I do at the gym but ... I don't know if that's being fair to myself.

Thanks!

Replies

• DreaL
    DreaL Posts: 9
    Options
    I wanted to get everyone's take on this:

Do I just enter the exercise I've done at the gym or should I be counting the time I spend walking across campus with a 10lb+ backpack on my back, plus the stairs I have to climb at school? I've generally been only entering the exercise I do at the gym but ... I don't know if that's being fair to myself.

Thanks!
  • southernlupica
    Options
    aS LONG AS YOUR COUNTING YOUR WALKING TIME PUT IT I WALK MY CHILDREN TO SCHOOL AND TIME MY SELF.

I JUST STARTED 3 DAYS AGO AND IM PRAYING THAT I LOSE THIS WEIGHT.
  • adamk0324
    Options
    under walking there is a 15 pound walk that i use for school i put it in for 5 min less then i really walk cuz i dont know how much my bag really weighs but i put it in on the days i go to school.
  • momof3hawks
    momof3hawks Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I think it just depends on your goal...weight loss, heart health...you know that sort of stuff.

I had my cardiologist's nurse tell me to think about it this way: If we wear a pedometer and walk our goal number of steps per day; this counts for heart health minimums.

She said she wears one and usually walks 3 to 5 miles around the hospital daily, but still gets on the treadmill at home for 30 min each night because (as she said) her body wouldn't benefit from her walking the hospital during the day as it was acclimated to it and it would be the extra push on the treadmill that would affect her weight loss.

I hope this helps you decide.

:smile:
  • jenifergotti
    jenifergotti Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't count the walking, just because it is your usual routine. I only count activities that I usually don't do. :wink: But that's just me!
  • jazpiri
    jazpiri Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you chose as your activity level when you first established your goals. If you chose "sedentary" then I would add in those minutes. Or, go back and change your activity level to "active".
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    I would think the walking at school with the heavy back pack and up and down stairs would be part of your normal activity level - which if I were you, I'd have set to "active" - I wouldn't add those as exercise calories since they'd already be included in your base number for your "active" lifestyle.