i feel like i can't stop....

Options
binge eating.

If you can relate, what do you do to stop?

When I first joined MFP, I didn't have a binge for like 4 months! Then, it was only once a month.. and now it has gotten up to twice a week and I've gained 7 pounds since reaching my goal weight in July. :(

how to stop the madness !! ?

Replies

• LillyMosley
    Options
    That is a tough one, can you really analyse what triggers the binge? go through your diet the week before, any emotional stressors, work etc? Is it sweet or savoury foods that you binge on?
    Would it work to do something like before I allow myself to binge I have to read this letter from myself first, and write to yourself how bad you feel after the binge? Literally beg yourself not to do it.
    Are you denying yourself treats too much?What things do you feel desperate to eat, maybe allow yourself one small portion each day you exercise?
  • rachdlew
    rachdlew Posts: 108
    Options
    I have to go do something to get my mind off food. If you can exercise do that but if not go walk read a book video game something to get your mind off eating.
  • k3lly89
    k3lly89 Posts: 67
    Options
    When i feel like I'm heading towards a binge I'll go for a walk or drink a cup of green tea! Green tea seems to fill me up and stp cravings.
  • solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    hard core cardio fixes everything. curbs the appetite. get in the routine of that!
  • Rachaelluvszipped
    Rachaelluvszipped Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    All I can say is meal planning helps...if you have these so called binge eatings...maybe 5-6 mini meals through out the day will help..if your constantly needing to put food in your mouth all at once..I highly suggest this..load up on veggies and drink your water...this, too will help...if you want, you can add me as a friend and you can view my diary..I can eat what I want as long as I exercise...and burn tons of cals..but that's just me..
  • glittermouse
    glittermouse Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    is there a good friend you could call instead? (tell your bff that you're struggling with this and that everytime you're tempted to binge, you're gonna call her/text her/skype/IM her until the urge passes?)

could you make a deal with yourself that you MUST drink 2 glasses of water before you give in to whatever food is calling your name? perhaps the water will fill you up and you won't be want as much food.

don't know if those will help. best of luck!
    ~gm
  • kelceystevens73
    kelceystevens73 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I agree, green tea seems to help me to.....
  • michedarnd
    michedarnd Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Have you tried explicitly zig-zagging your calories in maintenance mode? That would GIVE you two higher-calorie days every week, and then keep you lower-calorie the rest of the week. Maybe if you explicitly make some room so that it averages out, you'll keep your weight from increasing? If you look at the analysis of the Dukan diet, one of the things it points out is that you have to maintain a strict program through a post-weight-loss phase to get your body used to the new weight. So, I would suggest approaching it that way. Think of yourself as still in a similar mode to the one you were in when you lost all that weight -- except at a slightly higher calorie count. Your goal, right now, is to get used to being at this weight, so whatever you did, before, to get it OFF needs to continue.
  • LaEsperanza
    Options
    I can relate ,, I would go 2 or 3 weeks with counting calories and eating healthy, but the minute I over eat one time , i can never stop after :( !! its stressing me outt! ,, thats why my weight is going up and down every 2-3 months!
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    You are withholding too much in your day to day eating. This is causing your body to go crazy to get it all at once. What you need to do is incorporate a few treats or raise your daily calories... that and focusing on goals and self-control. I do it every once in a while (not REALLY bad, but still do) while I do have a treat nearly once-twice or more a day so I don't tend to binge. Those weeks I've tried to be really strict I get bummed by the end of the week and attack sweets.
  • Blackthorne99
    Blackthorne99 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have an eating disorder, and that is something that needs to be addressed through counseling. A good place to start is Overeaters Anonymous. Unlike a program like Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig or Nutrisystem, OA actually focuses on the psychology of eating and treats it with the seriousness of a drug or alcohol addiction.
  • theroadto100
    theroadto100 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I'm RIGHT there with you =/ I lost a lot of weight (the unhealthy way, I as diagnosed with anorexia/bulimia), and now I'm in recovery and I've been binging a lot... I think my body and mind has just been pulled in every direction and I'm trying to compensate for the months of not eating and all that. I'm gonna start slowly having a treat every day so I don't deprive my body so much. But I know it stinks. Just try to get your mind off it best you can.
  • juliapm7
    Options
    I do it every once in a while (not REALLY bad, but still do) while I do have a treat nearly once-twice or more a day so I don't tend to binge. Those weeks I've tried to be really strict I get bummed by the end of the week and attack sweets.

I was just checking the boards for this exact subject since I just had a sweets binge tonight and am feeling a pretty low right now. I have already had a talk with myself and don't plan on doing anything like this again anytime soon. I was doing so well eating right and working out almost everyday, but I think I was restricting myself to the point that I got too fixated on what I wasn't having.

Tomorrow is a new day and if this is an isolated event (for now anyway), hopefully it won't derail my goal too much! I just have to remember this low feeling the next time the sour patch kids are calling me over to play.
  • Shannonigans84
    Shannonigans84 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Getting on the scale is motivation enough for me. I see all my hard work go out the window and that gets me back on track. Good luck!
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    You are withholding too much in your day to day eating. This is causing your body to go crazy to get it all at once. What you need to do is incorporate a few treats or raise your daily calories... that and focusing on goals and self-control. I do it every once in a while (not REALLY bad, but still do) while I do have a treat nearly once-twice or more a day so I don't tend to binge. Those weeks I've tried to be really strict I get bummed by the end of the week and attack sweets.
    I tend to agree with this. the more I try to restrict myself, the more I ended up bingeing, so when I feel I want something sweet, I just have something small, and tell myself that's my limit. For me it has to be something that is already measured out- like a caramello koala. I am not 'allowed' to open a second one. I couldn't do it with icecream, for example, as I'd eat the whole tub

Agree with the other poster who said counselling could help.
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    thanks guys!

I already go to counseling for other things so maybe I'll bring this up..

I am definitely NOT restricting / i used to struggle with disordered eating so I can relate to theroadto100's comment / i know it's all in my head (for me anyways) / and I already have 5-6 meals a day if you look at my food diary lol
  • kittuk86
    kittuk86 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    What I would do - burn it off.. If you dont have time to exercise that much then try to burn cals to be in maintenance mode.. getting to the root of the problem is always good but till then.. Exercise!!

Just keep one thing at the back of your mind while binging: All the hard work you put in getting where you are! helps me..
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    What I would do - burn it off.. If you dont have time to exercise that much then try to burn cals to be in maintenance mode.. getting to the root of the problem is always good but till then.. Exercise!!

Just keep one thing at the back of your mind while binging: All the hard work you put in getting where you are! helps me..

thanks! yeah i have been working out a lot and still eat more than that! hahaa
  • missangela1986
    Options
    I am having the same problem. For me it's not sweets, it's fast foods, because my time is limited (whose isn't?) and I really can't cook very well. So I'll give in and eat some fast food after work. Then I get on the scale and see I've undone everything I worked so hard for 2 weeks to loose... :(