Lower Abdominal Cramps when running

Options
Well this is a new phenomenon - about ten minutes into my sustained run I receive these nasty lower abdominal cramps [for ladies, they feel a LOT like menstrual cramps.] They are painful and today made me feel nauseous. I had to slow down to a walk for three minutes because I couldn't make it through the pain and they quickly dissipated and I could resume the rest of my ten minutes.

I looked this up on google and found that a lot of people experience them but no one really knows the causes or how to prevent them. The biggest issue I read about was no strength in the core muscles, but I don't think this is remotely my problem, as I ballroom dance and also complete at least 200 crunches on inclines, obliques and laterals a day.

I was just curious who else experiences this cramping and what they do to either prevent it or deal with it when it happens.

Thanks for reading my post.

Replies

• gmckay27
    Options
    More water maybe? Whenever I don't have enough water in me I cramp up.
  • zombi
    zombi Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hey there,
    I don't have any advice but I'll be watching this thread because this is happening to me too. At least you're not alone! Ha.
  • Blackthorne99
    Blackthorne99 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Are they only on one side? Like just on the right side below the rib cage? Might be "Runner's stitch"

http://coachdeanhebert.wordpress.com/2007/09/24/side-stitchescramps-and-running/

Sometimes it's a lack of oxygen - not quite catching your breath for the exertion you're putting out, or you're exercising your muscles in a way they aren't used to. As a dancer, you know that there's a difference balance on an incline, a decline and flat ground - the same is true of running. You may be using these muscles in a subtly different way and they are complaining.

The article explains it well.
  • dreambig_gohome
    dreambig_gohome Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    It's actually front and low center, which isnt so fun. I defintely understand runner's stitch, which only takes time and more stretching to make go away. But this is different which is why I decided to post about it. The pain was rather severe tonight. I've heard answers from weak abs to lactic acid to GI problems to dehydration, to breathing problems. So...there's a lot of suggestions and not a whole lot of answers out there.
  • Blackthorne99
    Blackthorne99 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Do you experience anything else with them - such as an urge to go to the bathroom, gas, or a change in bowel behaviour after a run? Is it a sharp pinpoint pain that stays in the same place or does it feel like 'tearing' something? Could be GI, could be adhesions as well. Do you have a specific breathing pattern when you run?
  • nursekj
    nursekj Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Try doing one deep breath in and three forced breaths out as I had same problem but its most likely due to adhesions. I read up on breathing as it helps the abdominal pressure and takes your mind off pain.