OCTOBER SHREDDERS (CLOSED GROUP) - 3rd Mini-Challenge 8th Oc

Options
Hello Shredders :)

Welcome to your 3rd challenge so far. Today's challange is all about........WATER!!!!!

We are 8 days into the 30 day Shred and I think it's important to remember that it's not just about exercise. I also know that some of you have been working out pretty hard ( yes - I know about some of you doing 2 sessions in one day to play catch up lol).

So to lower the risk of injury by avoiding extra strength, abs and cardio today - the challenge to day is simply.......

Drink AT LEAST your 8 glasses of water. Some of you may be doing this already ( WELL DONE!!) but for others it may be something that is forgotten about.

Being a nurse myself I know and love the benefits of water.... I always suggest a glass of water before any pain killing medication for a few certain things. So I thought I would post some information below that I think is absolutely AMAZING!!

Have a great day shredders... and please take this challenge as serious as the plank or push up challenge. Drinking water can make you loose weight and make you feel great too! But of course it's about being sensible too and NOT overloading on water...

x Debbie.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

The human body is anywhere from 55% to 78% water depending on body size. A rule of thumb, 2/3 of body is consists of water, and it is the main component of human body. Did you know that your tissues and organs are mainly made up of water? Here is the %:
Muscle consists of 75% water
Brain consists of 90% of water
Bone consists of 22% of water
Blood consists of 83% water

The functions of water in human body are vital. The water:
Transports nutrients and oxygen into cells
Moisturizes the air in lungs
Helps with metabolism
Protects our vital organ
Helps our organs to absorb nutrients better
Regulates body temperature
Detoxifies
Protects and moisturizes our joints

The Harmful Effects Result from Dehydration:
Tiredness
Migraine
Constipation
Muscle cramps
Irregular blood pressure
Kidney problems
Dry skin
20% dehydrated – Risk of death
Symptoms of Dehydration

Here are some of the symptoms that you need more water:
Dark Urine – Dark Yellow or Orange in Color: Urine is generally pale yellow to clear when you have sufficient water intake. Dark color or strong smell indicates that you need to drink more water.
Dry Skin: Skin is the largest body organ and requires its share of water.
Thirst: Thirst is the most obvious sign that you're already dehydrated. It is always a good practice to drink more water when your are not thirsty, don’t wait until you're thirsty.
Hunger: Most people mistake hunger for the indication to eat more, whereas in actual fact, they may be dehydrated. So before you have your meal, grab a glass of water.
Fatigue: Water is a source of energy and gives you a boost in energy.

Replies

• slainnz
    slainnz Posts: 75
    Options
    Thank you for the great challenge, since starting on MFP i have really tried to up my water but most times only managed to drink 6 glasses. Will update later on how many i manage to drink!
  • aqua_zumba_fan
    Options
    Wow thanks for all the great info :) I tend to drink water as opposed to anything else but still don't drink enough so this is a great challenge :)
  • MittenKitten1219
    MittenKitten1219 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I like this one :) I have been slacking on my water intake lately... Love the facts!
  • KerriMx5
    KerriMx5 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    This is a great one!! I really need to increase my water. Although I need to not do it at night like I did last night. All the bathroom trips made falling asleep a little hard to do. hehehe
  • Amber393
    Amber393 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Love this challenge!
  • nixickle
    nixickle Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    For someone who is Feeling slightly hungover today, this challenge is exactly what I need! Thankyou! I find my water intake varies a lot, some days I will drink loads all day and other days barely anything! So this challenge is a great reminder that I should be drinking this much EVERY day!

Now where's my water, I have gin that needs flushing out of my system!!
  • apertuis
    apertuis Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I'm hung over today too & love this challenge!
  • daniellesb1
    daniellesb1 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Morning everyone !
    I am SO not a water drinker. Before I joined MFP there would be days when I think I would drink 1/2 a glass of water maximum. For realz. I would drink DIet Coke for Lunch and Dinner (my only vice !) and in between WHEN I drank, I would put one of those little packets of Crystal Light in the bottle of water.

Since I joined MFP I bought a metal bottle that holds 20oz and it sits on my desk in front of my computer. I make a point of filling it up as soon as I walk into work, at lunch time, after lunch - and sometimes 1 more time after that. No, I dont sneak the water into the plant on my desk..... :)

So, if I drink at least 3 of those bottles at work I know I have drank 60oz of water in that day. This is not counting the tall glass of water I have in the morning and at night.

It took me a while to "learn" how to drink water - but I feel like I have tackled this feat !

During the week, that is....... Now weekends, are a different thing ! I need to keep reminding myself of drinking, and I so do not reach 64oz on weekends.

So this will be a great challenge for me today - thanks !

ps - I also found it easier if I splash the water with a little lemon juice.
  • miami_mimi
    miami_mimi Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Well compared to the last 2 challenges... I got this :)
  • catrojas
    catrojas Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I love this challenge, and I used to hate water!!! My work does not allow liquids on the sales floor, and as the store manager I have to stay on the floor all day..... it makes getting my water in really hard... maybe I could get a Dr's not allowing me to have my water at the register :laugh:
  • dietfree2012
    dietfree2012 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    will do!! thanks for the challene!
  • KerriMx5
    KerriMx5 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Got in 10 glasses today and I got a lot of walking in.. to the bathroom.
  • angenz
    angenz Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Great Message and a good challenge.

I've never had a problem drinking water, sometimes I find myself drinking so much I end up going to the bathroom every 40 minutes. This is the story at work anyway, I always have a 1 litre bottle of water on my desk and just drink and drink - probably around 2 a day but sometimes 3. At least it makes me get up for a break! But somehow I mind that water helps me mentally concentrate on my work too. When I am at home though I find it really difficult to drink water and tend to have a greater amount of herbal teas.

For years I have wondered how much really is a good level to drink, I recently enrolled in a detox plan which had a great tip. For every kg of body weight drink 25ml of water, or if it's a day doing exercise then it should be 35mls. I find this a great thing to follow. So for me, I am 59kg so that's around 2 litres of water when doing sports, but I guess I drink that amount even when I'm not.

For those of you that struggle, a splash of lemon juice helps a lot - also good for detoxing too, but a good rule is that you should drink 2 glasses with every meal, and then just another two sometime during the day! Simple as! But then this of course depends on your body weight.
  • Le_Joy
    Le_Joy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I only drank 5 glasses today but I didn't get up until almost 2pm so I think it that is a decent amount for half the day...
  • aqua_zumba_fan
    Options
    Done and will try to keep it up!
  • boncharlie
    boncharlie Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Well done everyone :)
  • Amber393
    Amber393 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Ya! I got in 9 glasses the day of this challenge and posted into the spreadsheet.