Wheelchair user - doing some walking

Options
When I'm out I usually use a wheelchair, but for the last few weeks I've been endeavouring to walk around the supermarket once a week, pushing the trolley.

Do you think I can count this as exercise? I know that most people wouldn't, but, I do no other walking - I have a stair lift so don't even climb the stairs - and it is difficult to do.

Thanks for any help

Ailz

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    That's great, keep it up!
  • Joisgettingfit
    Joisgettingfit Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I think if its not part of your normal daily routine then count it as exercise. Or if you're doing that instead of taking the easier option for example I still count walking to and from work exercise its about 1 and a half miles each way and i could just as easily get the bus.
  • carolineb81
    carolineb81 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I would say it definitely counts as exercise - well done
  • betslyn
    Options
    Most definately it counts. Every little bit means alot. Good for you. Maybe you could try to take steps around the house and try to increase the amount everyday - not a lot a first but I bet you will be surprised at how much stronger you will feel in a short time.
  • SarahxCheesecake
    SarahxCheesecake Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    yes absolutely because its not something you would normally do...I say do more if you can...
  • glittermouse
    glittermouse Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    BRAVO. I would certainly count it. Keep up the good work!
  • Roxanne003
    Options
    That is exercise! You normally use a wheelchair, now your trying to walk, at least once a week! That's awesome! Keep it up! You'll find that it gets a little easier the more you walk.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Yes. My mum uses a chair and i know how hard she works when she walks. I wouldn't overlog, if you want to eat the cals but definitely do log. Apart from anything, it's an achievement that you should acknowledge.
  • jennarandhayes
    jennarandhayes Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, that's exercise! Keep it up, you should be so proud. Well done!
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: In the beginning of my Journey here, my main walking was at the grocery store with the cart--which I kind of used like a Walker. It is definitely Exercise--as long as you are not stopping every few moments to Shop.
    Keep On Keeping On!! I went from walking for 10--15 minutes at a time in the Grocery Store to walking 3--4 miles every day, most of it outside!!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    First of all, congrats on making this change and getting moving!

Secondly, I would definitely count it as exercise.

Good luck to you! :)