Going to the gym for the first time.

Options
I've never been to a gym before in my life, but - well - curiosity killed the cat, and my university gym is free for me, so I thought I'd head off there later today. Then I realised I don't actually know what I'm meant to bring, or if there are any howlers or anything you're not meant to do at the gym. What I think is:

- Change into workout clothes
- Take change of normal clothes and a towel, plus normal work out stuff (HRM, phone etc.)
- Walk to the gym and get activated for the first time
- Don't use any machine for too long if it's crowded
- Wipe down machines after use for the next person (so I dump my towel next to the machine while I use it?)
- I never wear makeup or anything like that so I'm not going to arrive with a full face of makeup
- I can shower when I get home (15 min walk).

Right. Is there anything I've missed that I'll be annoyed about?

Replies

• tiedye
    tiedye Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I never really needed a change of clothes, I just jogged home in my sweaty clothes.

I used paper towels or my towel over the numbers on the machine because time goes faster when I'm not watching the clock.

Good luck and have fun!
  • glenr79
    glenr79 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Don't be annoyed about anything!! Go in there with a positive attitude and get to work!! I am a personal trainer at my University gym... I love it. Don't worry about anybody looking at you, or the croud. You are all in there for the same common goal, nobody judges. Anyways... when you go in today, if your goal is weight loss, and you plan on doing weights and cardio... You have to do weights before cardio. When you workout you first use carbohydrates for energy, so by the time you are done working out and you start cardio you will start to use fat for energy, thus burning fat!!! Hey when you first get there do a 3 minute warmup on a treadmill or elliptical, then stretch whatever body part you are going to work out, do that body part, and then cardio!! And then stretch again whatever body part you were going to do... Hey sorry I am rambling haha... but don't worry about anybody in there!!
    I've never been to a gym before in my life, but - well - curiosity killed the cat, and my university gym is free for me, so I thought I'd head off there later today. Then I realised I don't actually know what I'm meant to bring, or if there are any howlers or anything you're not meant to do at the gym. What I think is:

- Change into workout clothes
    - Take change of normal clothes and a towel, plus normal work out stuff (HRM, phone etc.)
    - Walk to the gym and get activated for the first time
    - Don't use any machine for too long if it's crowded
    - Wipe down machines after use for the next person (so I dump my towel next to the machine while I use it?)
    - I never wear makeup or anything like that so I'm not going to arrive with a full face of makeup
    - I can shower when I get home (15 min walk).

Right. Is there anything I've missed that I'll be annoyed about?

• lauraryan1215
    Options
    Bring a bottle of water. If you are walking to the gym in workout clothes and showering when you get home, you won't need "normal clothes." Don't use any machines until you have someone there show you how to use them, you could hurt yourself. Don't wipe off machines with your personal towel, usually wipes are provided for that.

Have fun, I admire you!
  • lovza_flirt
    lovza_flirt Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Take some water in a water bottle, some gyms have water fountains but I find it's easier to just have it within reach.
  • Kaimana94
    Kaimana94 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Sound like you got most of it. Anything else you can pick up on the way. Oh you did miss one thing HAVE FUN. :ohwell:
  • dobarber
    dobarber Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Here's something that'll help. I don't know how in shape you are so make sure you take your time with the machines. Doing them fast isn't going to do your muscles any good. Do the movements deliberately and at a smooth pace and try to keep the weight up off the other weights on the machine. Good luck and good lifting
  • Myrtlemama4
    Myrtlemama4 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    hey Glen, great tip about wrights first then cardio..Dont forget to remember that feeling you feel after a great workout..Im addicted to that!
  • BabyDuchess
    BabyDuchess Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I would wipe the machines before I get on them too because a LOT of people don't wipe after they use them. Above all, have fun! :flowerforyou:
  • helenium
    helenium Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! So useful!

One last question: usually there's a limit for cardio machines - 30 mins I gather. If I wanted to go longer than that, is it OK if there are other cardio machines available for people to use, or can I leave the machine for 5 mins - and if nobody's used it - hop on and continue?

• BabyDuchess
    BabyDuchess Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! So useful!

One last question: usually there's a limit for cardio machines - 30 mins I gather. If I wanted to go longer than that, is it OK if there are other cardio machines available for people to use, or can I leave the machine for 5 mins - and if nobody's used it - hop on and continue?

our gym is a 30 min. limit and if it's crowded, I abide by that but if it's not I stay on as long as I want providing there is another elliptical or treadmill....etc that someone can use. :flowerforyou:
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    What's a howler? Or is that part of Harry Potter true for students studying away from home? One could send their child a letter that literally gets the point across by yelling.