Asparagus

leomom72
leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
I bought a fresh bunch of asparagus a few days ago, instead of the canned stuff, and i have never cooked it before. I wanted to know how is the best way to cook them ?

Replies

• i get a little olive oil put on a pan little pepper and sea salt and bake for like 5 minutes. yummy
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    I bought a fresh bunch of asparagus a few days ago, instead of the canned stuff, and i have never cooked it before. I wanted to know how is the best way to cook them ?

many many ways

you can steam them.

roast them.... put them in a baking pan drizzle a little olive oil,some seasonings. put them in on around 350, time depends on how big they are.

gril them on the grill ... toss in olive oil sprinkle with seasoning, put them on the grill till tender.

grill them in a pan on the stove. pretty much same as above.

editted to add............................... you will never go back to can
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    If you have a grill pan or a grill they are fabulous grilled. I like them steamed too. Broil them and they get soggy like in the can. You can also make them into soup or juice if that's your thing. Go to Foodnetwork.com and look up Asparagus dishes!!
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Sometimes we steam it and it's good. However, most often we roast it. Coat it with a little olive oil, sea or kosher salt, pepper, and sometimes garlic. Put it in the oven at 325-350, on a cookie sheet, for about 12 minutes. If I remember I stir one time part way through.
  • JoDeeD
    JoDeeD Posts: 391
    We steam it then toss it with some olive oil and parmesan cheese. Yummy!
  • CaptainMFP
    CaptainMFP Posts: 440 Member
    We love to just steam ours. Break off the woody parts of the stem, toss it into a steamer basket, and steam over boiling water 5 - 7 minutes...longer for fat stems, shorter for skinny stems. It tastes wonderful, even without seasoning. (The olive oil/grill suggestions above are also outstanding!)
  • cruiseking
    cruiseking Posts: 338 Member
    Asparagus are awesome when you prepare them as people have stated (steamed), then cook them with scrambled eggs, a touch of cheese, salt and pepper. Yummy!
  • Also, you will probably want to break off the tough ends. A really simple way to do this is to bend the stalk (I do them in small handfulls) until the end breaks off. It will snap right where the toughness/stringyness begins and you throw away the ends.

I place them in a layer on a cookie sheet, spray with olive oil (or drizzle) or Ive even used cooking spray before. Sprinkle with a little garlic salt and broil for about 5 minutes. They are crisp with almost a nutty flavor that way. Even my kids devour them!
  • mmmichelle8486
    mmmichelle8486 Posts: 269 Member
    If you have a grill pan or a grill they are fabulous grilled. I like them steamed too. Broil them and they get soggy like in the can. You can also make them into soup or juice if that's your thing. Go to Foodnetwork.com and look up Asparagus dishes!!

If they get soggy when you broil them, you are cooking them too long.

My favorite ways are either roasting them as pp suggested, or slice up some fresh garlic and saute both together in a little oil.

Cook until they are a nice, bright green. They should still be crisp. :)

Enjoy, this is a family favorite... even with my 3 year old twins and my 20 month old.
  • healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 600 Member
    Incredible versatile veggie and fantastic for you. Saute or roast in the over in a little olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Don't boil it in water, you lose all the wonderfulness! If you have never used fresh before, be sure to cut off the hard ends. Bend one piece and see where it breaks use that piece as a guide and cut the rest to equal length. Any left over is great tossed into some scrambled eggs (if you eat those).
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,211 Member
    :love: asparagus!
    - I love love love them grilled drizzled with a little balsamic.
    - I also like them baked drizzled with a little olive oil, sprinkled with breadcrumbs and Parmesan.
    - Steamed is good too.
    - I also like them cut up into bite sized pieces and mixed in with pasta. YUM!
  • ConnieSG
    ConnieSG Posts: 376
    Wow!! I love all of these suggestions. I was just thinking about how I can include asparagus into my diet
  • emilynicole02
    emilynicole02 Posts: 355 Member
    We cut up green and red peppers and onions and sometimes zucchini asvwell and drizzle olive oil and balsamic vinegar over them and mix it well. We also put oregano, salt, pepper onto it. Bake at 350 degrees for about 15 or so minutes :) yum!!
  • Tigermad
    Tigermad Posts: 305 Member
    I stir fry mine. In fact I am having them tonight in a chicken stir fry.
  • mandasimba
    mandasimba Posts: 782 Member
    A smidgeon of butter, equal parts of onion powder, seasoned salt, and cajun seasoning, a bit of red pepper flakes to taste. Make sure all the asparagus is evenly coated.

Put in pan on stove, cook on medium/med-high for 6-7 minutes.

Yummy, simple side.
  • tiedye
    tiedye Posts: 331 Member
    go to allrecipes.com

you can type in the ingredients you HAVE and it gives you recipes that use those ingredients!