is sociology dying?

Options
Jennyisbusy
Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
I keep seeing mean comments pop up on different topics blasting people for not taking responsibility for their situations. To some extent they are right, you have to do the best you can with the best you have. BUT their is something to looking at things through a bigger lens.

I'll look at kids for an example:

*Some kids have no recess and p.e. once a week - then they go home and have homework, dinner, a little playtime, bath and bed.

What if you live in a neighborhood where the HOA doesn't like kids to play outside?

What if kids eat school lunches at one of the schools with crazy food guidelines,(choco milk and 2 rolls for everyone!!)?

What if a family eats out weekly?

What if the kids would like to try dance class / baseball but you can't afford it?

What if these kids grow up and have kids of their own?

It's not that any of these one things is solely responsible for the outcome of a particular persons body, but if you start to add it all up you can see the COLOSSAL fail that is happening!

Yelling at someone and saying that it is their FAULT, is in no way helpful! Isn't it better to examine how things really are and then apply effort where you can? Like packing healthy lunches for school, and finding some fun ways to get the whole family moving?

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Rationalizing and making excuses is still rationalizing and making excuses. I could cop out and say I'm out of shape for the reasons you stated growing up, or I can take responsibility and say I made poor decisions.

There are many people who do eat out weekly and have no issue with weight. There are many kids who ate outrageous school lunches and had no weight troubles (there were days when I ate half a pizza, I was never overweight in school.) And it goes on and on. I was never one to "play outside" much but I walked and rode my bike everywhere, to school, to the video store, to friend's houses, etc. There's making excuses, and there's taking responsibility. I prefer to take responsibility for myself, and focus on results, not on making excuses and finding things to blame for failures.
  • livnlite
    livnlite Posts: 520
    Options
    I keep seeing mean comments pop up on different topics blasting people for not taking responsibility for their situations. To some extent they are right, you have to do the best you can with the best you have. BUT their is something to looking at things through a bigger lens.

I'll look at kids for an example:

*Some kids have no recess and p.e. once a week - then they go home and have homework, dinner, a little playtime, bath and bed.

What if you live in a neighborhood where the HOA doesn't like kids to play outside?

What if kids eat school lunches at one of the schools with crazy food guidelines,(choco milk and 2 rolls for everyone!!)?

What if a family eats out weekly?

What if the kids would like to try dance class / baseball but you can't afford it?

What if these kids grow up and have kids of their own?

It's not that any of these one things is solely responsible for the outcome of a particular persons body, but if you start to add it all up you can see the COLOSSAL fail that is happening!

Yelling at someone and saying that it is their FAULT, is in no way helpful! Isn't it better to examine how things really are and then apply effort where you can? Like packing healthy lunches for school, and finding some fun ways to get the whole family moving?

I totally understand what you are saying . No one should "YELL" at anyone. But when people constantly blame others for their situation they are not understanding that WE are all responsible for our own outcome. Granted, some people have odds piled against them, at times .. But when it comes to choices we make .. It is our responsibility to make informed choices because of the impact of our life, our family's life and quality of life.

If people choose to live in a HOA for example .. They need to understand how the limitations of living there impacts the lives of their family. If these still choose to live there, then they need to find ways to compensate for some of those limitations .. not blame those limitations for their shortcomings.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I'm a product of my own problems.
  • moushtie
    moushtie Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    We are not responsible for everything that makes us who we are.

We ARE responsible for what we choose to do about it now.
  • TobiasJamesRayner
    Options
    I totally agree to be fair i have neaver been "over weight". (im here to gain weight).
    and i know people that are obeast that are teanagers because were i live theres no boll games aloud
    being outside with to much noise theres a letter sent through your door seriously
    when i look at kids walk down the streat all the time i hear why are they over weight feed them better when actually socialsing has come to apoint now being out doors is a bad thing so how are u exspecting them to get out and about when actually theres so many rules that its hard too?
    they can go place but these places cost a bomb so i agree with the top comment not the bottom one
  • andreahanlon
    andreahanlon Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    When 60% of a country is overweight, we DEFINATELY have a cultural problem. I agree, weight isn't all about the single person. There's a ton of misinformation out there and it takes time to learn to be healthy and get fit.

And, I say that as a person who believes 100% in the concept of personal responsibility... after the brain is fully developed. When we see our children reaching weights which are double a healthy amount, that should be getting our attention. By the time that child reaches adulthood, his or her brain is already molded to operate a certain way and can take years (or a lifetime) to retrain. It's a very complex issue, and I agree with you. I think people are not educated on many topics and therefore they apply their life experiences to everyone's situation and don't consider that person's reality.

And besides that, blame and hatred doesn't help anyone.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,584 Member
    Options
    There will always be rules that may interfere with some of the good things we'd like to do with ourselves and kids, but the reality is that you are responsible for you first and how you pass on that responsibility on to your kids. Kids learn from their parents, other kids and experiences and if they see that you don't give in to obstacles, they will likely follow that same path. There is ALWAYS a way to solve a problem. It's usually never easy and many times you'll run into resistance. I worked for 12 years for a company where I was up at 7:30 am every morning, working till about 11:00pm at night and working out at 12-12:30 am then going to bed right after 6 days a week. Tough run in my life, but it taught me that practically anyone can find time for physical activity 1 hour a day if they really want to do it. Thing is most people would rather spend that time doing something else than focusing on there physical well being.
  • Jennyisbusy
    Options
    Rationalizing and making excuses is still rationalizing and making excuses. I could cop out and say I'm out of shape for the reasons you stated growing up, or I can take responsibility and say I made poor decisions.

I'm not as big about making excuses as figuring out how 'this' happened and then figuring out how to fight it.

Going back to the kids example - I would say they don't get much control in their situation. They are learning by living that eating choco milk and 2 rolls at lunch is OK, and sitting still all day is OK. showing them a poster that says eat right and move isn't enough, or even 1 class that repeats it over and over. How does healthy happen - does it have to be a right of passage or can it be a foundation built over our lives.

(I want my kids to say "I have always played hard and ate good." when they are old fit people. lol )
  • Jennyisbusy
    Options
    I'm a product of my own problems.

and that happens sometimes too. :)
  • Jennyisbusy
    Options
    There will always be rules that may interfere with some of the good things we'd like to do with ourselves and kids, but the reality is that you are responsible for you first and how you pass on that responsibility on to your kids. Kids learn from their parents, other kids and experiences and if they see that you don't give in to obstacles, they will likely follow that same path. There is ALWAYS a way to solve a problem. It's usually never easy and many times you'll run into resistance. I worked for 12 years for a company where I was up at 7:30 am every morning, working till about 11:00pm at night and working out at 12-12:30 am then going to bed right after 6 days a week. Tough run in my life, but it taught me that practically anyone can find time for physical activity 1 hour a day if they really want to do it. Thing is most people would rather spend that time doing something else than focusing on there physical well being.

Did people ever tell you that you were nuts for exercising at night? or were SUPER DUPER impressed?
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,366 Member
    Options
    Some people forget about the advantages they have and don't see the head-starts they were born with. I've long since stopped taking the time to try to "educate" people on the forums because people here genuinely do not care and are often so closed-minded that they can't bear to part with their opinions briefly enough to see things any other way. Periodically I'll say something on here, but most of the time I won't return to the topic to read the exchanges afterward because it's hopeless. Honestly, this is just not the forum to have intelligent discussions about anything outside of physical health/fitness, next is breasts and buttocks, followed by genitalia.

I choose to have my non-fitness conversations elsewhere and not be bothered with what happens here on MFP. But when I want to talk about my rack I know where to go.
  • Jennyisbusy
    Options
    Some people forget about the advantages they have and don't see the head-starts they were born with. I've long since stopped taking the time to try to "educate" people on the forums because people here genuinely do not care and are often so closed-minded that they can't bear to part with their opinions briefly enough to see things any other way. Periodically I'll say something on here, but most of the time I won't return to the topic to read the exchanges afterward because it's hopeless. Honestly, this is just not the forum to have intelligent discussions about anything outside of physical health/fitness, next is breasts and buttocks, followed by genitalia.

I choose to have my non-fitness conversations elsewhere and not be bothered with what happens here on MFP. But when I want to talk about my rack I know where to go.

Heyyyyyyyyyyyyyy. nice rack! lol
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I don't have kids, but I do have pets, and as a pet owner, it's my responsibility to make sure my dog gets enough exercise, same as it's the parents responsibility for their children. If a kid can't play outside in their neighborhood unsupervised, parents can still go along with them for bike rides or walks, or take them to a park to play ball. They can buy or rent DVDs on dance or karate and do that with their kids in the living room. There's Wii, XBox360 and PS3 with Move, too. My parents were poor, but they still took me to a roller rink where I'd skate for hours at a time every week, to the public pool in the summer with my BFF, and even one summer I had horseback riding lessons. I was lucky that they were willing to sacrifice the time and money to ensure I was active and had fun. I wasn't by any means an athletic kid, but I was always active.

It doesn't take long to get in some quality exercise - just 30 minutes is enough - and doesn't take long for exercise to become a habit. But you've got to lead by example and be willing to make sacrifices. I think the majority of us probably waste more than 30 minutes a day right here on the forums! Unplug and get moving!

But on the topic of rudeness on the forums... I think it's double edged. Some folks are genuinely rude. And some folks want to take every disagreement as a personal assault. The solution is still the same... UNPLUG! :happy:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,584 Member
    Options

Did people ever tell you that you were nuts for exercising at night? or were SUPER DUPER impressed?
    I have always been fit and they knew how long and hard I worked, so nuts wouldn't be it. They were more impressed that I was disciplined enough to do it and was always asked HOW I do it. Many people won't go the extra mile because it's a tougher road to travel and I choose to take the tougher road. If you're concern for you children is to get them more physical and the school can't help them, then it's up to you as a parent to come up with ideas and JOIN THEM in it.
  • Jennyisbusy
    Options

I have always been fit and they knew how long and hard I worked, so nuts wouldn't be it. They were more impressed that I was disciplined enough to do it and was always asked HOW I do it. Many people won't go the extra mile because it's a tougher road to travel and I choose to take the tougher road. If you're concern for you children is to get them more physical and the school can't help them, then it's up to you as a parent to come up with ideas and JOIN THEM in it.

I am really into playing with my kids in an active way. My son is like my fitness coach - he runs with me while I push my daughter in the stroller usually yelling at me to speed up. lol The sad side is that I have received many comments that it may be bad for him. WTF? He is good at it, he sets his own pace etc.

It makes me wonder if kid exercise is that rare, that people feel nervous when they see it?

I wish we lived in a community where everyone played hard, food was fuel for the body, and rainbows shot out of my butt with every poop.

Ok, I know that's a tall order -and I have really gotten off track - my point was supposed to be: People react strangely to seeing my kids and I exercise, which makes me think that in my community, people think it's normal for kids to not exercise.