Overwhelmed

Options
2»

Replies

• Luckiestmomever
    Luckiestmomever Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    You can do this. I am about the same weight as you, and while I don't have health problems yet, my doc told me in August that I am a ticking time bomb. I do not want to be on meds due to my own bad habits. So on Sept. 1st I started counting calories and using MFP actively. (I had joined last spring but didn't change my lifestyle until Sept.) Since then I have lost 16 pounds. I only walk about 30 minutes about 3 times a week, and the rest of the days I walk 10 minutes if I can squeeze it in. But I have been religious about counting the calories. I am eating 1200 calories a day, and on the days I exercise I do often eat those calories back. I have also had a few days where family functions meant high calorie days, but then I would follow it up with strict days. I eat all the kinds of foods I like, haven't eliminated anything, just less of it. It took me a few days to adjust, but it's worth it and I find I really don't have the cravings like I used to. I suffer through cravings maybe once a week now as opposed to 5 or 6 days a week before. LOL. Feel free to add me as a friend, we both have a lot of weight to lose, so maybe we can help each other :-)
  • pope369
    pope369 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    There are as many ways to lose weight as there are folks here on MFP, so don't feel like you have to adopt someone else's diet. Each of us have our own style, and the important part is to listen to your body. When I started on MFP this past July I set a modest weight loss goal for myself to lose 30 pounds at 2 pounds per week, and MFP suggested I stick to 1200 calories per day. In the first few weeks, I found it hard to keep under that goal and often felt like I was starving.

About six weeks later, I decided that I didn't need to lose weight quite as fast as I was, so I reset my goal to a lower overall weight but at a slower 1 pound per week rate. MFP reset my calorie goal at 1370 daily. Since doing that, I've felt much better, have been able to meet my daily goals with ease. I get hungry, but I don't feel like I'm starving. My point is; don't be afraid to change things up and reassess your goals.

And don't be afraid to cheat once in a while. I've made a regular point of exceeding my daily calorie goal at least once a week (my cheat day) and I've continued to achieve my weekly mini-goals. Some call it calorie spiking, I call it necessary.

Anyway, welcome to the community. Let us know how we can help you on your journey.
  • rosebudsnick
    Options
    You're starting off on a great road! I believe in you! Good luck!
  • victoria543
    victoria543 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Well done firstly by joining MFP and also for being so honest, yes it will take time and yes it will take effort and yes at times it will be hard but............you are worth it !! So best of luck am sure you will make lots of friends here to spur you on me included so feel free to add me as a friend xxxxxx:smile:
  • mariahp23
    Options
    Thank you everyone! You are an amazing group of people! Best of luck to all! I can't wait to get to know all of you :)
  • comeback0903
    comeback0903 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Time,effort,motivation and making consious decision

remembering that one bad day wont make u give up its just a bad day
    logging in all food even on ur bad day
    pushing urself and counting on us for support
    you can do it one day at a time!
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    Hey Mariah! You've taken a huge step by signing up here and letting us all know a little bit about where you're starting :smile:

This is an awesome place with lots of great people. There are tools and resources everywhere you look, as well as some fun stuff for laughs, hehe

I started at 250 in August '10, and was 210 when I started on here. It's a long journey, but it sort of becomes an addiction. This is usually the first site I log into when I get up to see what my friends have been up to. I WANT to get out and do something so that I can log it. When I'm out, I'm thinking "how many miles have I walked?" "How many calories have I burned?" "I have to make sure to log this when I get home!"

Feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like!! I'd love to help support you on your journey!
  • ycc1964
    ycc1964 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    There is so much help and dedication on this site, you will not only loose the weight but gain precious friend that will love to work with you and encourage you during this journey. Just remember to keep logging in daily because that makes it easier because there is always someone here who understands and are willing to give you an encouraging word.

Congrats on joining.
  • kaimi2011
    kaimi2011 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    welcome you've taken the first step in joining. take it one day at the time and feel free to add me as a friend. :flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    You have come to the right place! I know at least 5 people who lost over 100 pounds with diet and exercise alone! MFP provided the tools to log and figure out what was going in and burning off. The boards gave them encouragment and support.

One of my best MFP friends lost 135 pounds.....................another over 150!!

(Check out the Black Team thread, some big losers on that thread :laugh:)

Welcome!!!!
  • brookjodie
    brookjodie Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    You can do this! Have courage.
  • terribowling
    terribowling Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi Mariah...your story touched my heart! I have the solution that I know you are gonna love! My e-mail is terribowling@charter.net and look me up on facebook! I'm here to help you get started and will to the end! :smile: