NSV: Cholesterol Down!!! And no meds!

Options
FabulousFifty
FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
:blushing: OK...one year ago my total Cholesterol was 243. Just had bloodwork completed and my total Chol is 187. Holy cow! My doctor wanted to put me on meds because I had already lost weight (thanks to MFP) and was beginning to exercise...I asked her to give me a chance to work on this. Here is what I did different:

Increased my exercise time and added light weights. (Love Chalean Extreme!):heart:
I usually shoot for 45 min./5 times a week

I take flax seed oil capsules and a multi daily.:happy:

I rarely eat red meat...lots of veges, yogurt and low fat foods. I increase fiber anytime I can.:tongue:

Now...to work on my iron...in eliminating the red meat my iron is low....oh well, an easy fix I think. :grumble:

:flowerforyou: Yay! No meds....and healthier me! You can do it too...but of course check with your doctor. (She told me high cholesterol runs in families. My mother's is off the charts and she is on high levels of statins. I may end up there later in life...but right now...at 51....this granny is pretty healthy! :bigsmile:

Any tips on the low iron without increasing high fat foods would be appreciated! Here's to exercise and eating right...and, oh yaaa, MFP! Cheers...this is water!:drinker:

Replies

• Lauraas84
    Lauraas84 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Cooking with cast iron pots and pans may help increase iron slightly. The iron from the pan is leached in to the food during cooking and is completely safe.

Also, eat iron rich foods with foods high in Vit C, as the Vitamin C helps with iron absorption. However avoid iron-rich foods with Calcium containing foods because Calcium and iron compete for absorption.
  • weber62
    Options
    Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses - good source of Iron, Calcium and Potassium. I take a teaspoon once a day. Spinach is also a good source of iron.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Perhaps if you researched foods naturally high in iron? Its better for you to make the effort to research this because only you know what you will eat....
  • chicnsweet83
    Options
    eating dark vegetables is a great source of iron. like kale, beets, asparagus, broccoli, Arugula, they are high in antioxidants as well.
  • FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses - good source of Iron, Calcium and Potassium. I take a teaspoon once a day. Spinach is also a good source of iron.

I have read this before...picking some up today! Thanks for the tip! And thanks to everyone for your kind words and good advice. :flowerforyou:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!