Plastic baggies...

Options
crb1988
crb1988 Posts: 134 Member
I have been out of town working for the past three days, and I have brought food along with me. I portioned everything out into plastic sandwich baggies (yay me lol) but I have a major issue...well it's major to me.

All of my food tastes like the plastic baggie it is packed in. I have had this issue before, and have tried several different kinds (Hefty, Ziploc, Walmart store brand, Food Lion store brand, and Harris Teeter store brand) all with the same result. It's enough of a taste to make me want to throw the stuff away and send someone to get me something to eat.

I have used plastic containers, and I don't have the taste problem. Carrying a bunch of plastic containers is difficult though because they don't fit easily in my lunchboxes.

Am I the only one this has happened to? Does anyone have any suggestions for how I can fix this?

Replies

• sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    Get a lunch container that can accommodate the containers that don't make your food taste funky. I can't use plastic at all and use glass. I have a fridge at work so I just toss it into a reusable grocery bag and call it a day.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I get some interestingly sized containers at the 99c store, I prefer to not use baggies if I can use something else for taste and environmental reasons
  • stripeycat_nz
    stripeycat_nz Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You can get reusable cloth sandwich bags that actually work really well. I like Snack Taxi and Lunchskins best.

http://www.reuseit.com/store/lunch-sandwich-snack-bags-c-248_250.html

My kids use Planetbox stainless steel lunchboxes - they have lots of compartments built in. I use Lunchbots stainless steel ones mainly - they are quite compact and fit nicely in a an insulated bag.
  • GregT44
    GregT44 Posts: 28
    Options
    Get a lunch container that can accommodate the containers that don't make your food taste funky. I can't use plastic at all and use glass. I have a fridge at work so I just toss it into a reusable grocery bag and call it a day.

I agree, use a bigger bag, even insulated bag to carry the containers that don't make your food taste bad.
  • crb1988
    crb1988 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    You can get reusable cloth sandwich bags that actually work really well. I like Snack Taxi and Lunchskins best.

http://www.reuseit.com/store/lunch-sandwich-snack-bags-c-248_250.html

My kids use Planetbox stainless steel lunchboxes - they have lots of compartments built in. I use Lunchbots stainless steel ones mainly - they are quite compact and fit nicely in a an insulated bag.

Oooh...what a great idea, I'm in love with the idea of these reusable bags lol. Thanks!
  • StrengthIsBeautiful
    StrengthIsBeautiful Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I visited Save-A-Lot yesterday and noticed a line of baggies that claimed to be green. Didn't check it out, but I wonder if it might address your problem.
  • scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I have tiny little plastic containers that hold around 20 almonds perfectly. I've also got round ones that fit a hard boiled egg.

Try dollar stores or paper bags for dry items.
  • nrvo
    nrvo Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about using a bento box? They have different compartments to keep all of your food separated, and they are reusable!
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options

I agree, use a bigger bag, even insulated bag to carry the containers that don't make your food taste bad.

Not saying Im a fan of Walmart... BUT... in the sporting goods section with the Camping gear, they have a 12pk or 18pk capacity thermal carry-bag. LOTS of room, has a zippered section to increase the capacity - I fill that sucker up with containers up the ying-yang and with a good sized ice pack, everything stays super-cold!! I think I paid about $13.00... I still use mine when we go on long drives - gotta have my cold water at-the-ready!
  • Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I did this on a trip once, made single serve baggies of snack like Doritos, cookies etc. Through the them all in a grocery sack with other things I had bought for the trip. Well several hours into the trip I grab a bag of Doritos and start munching away but they tasted/ smelled horrible like some strange perfume. It was tampons. lol apparently the warm floor board of the car made the unopened box of tampons release their smell and was absorbed right into my food baggies:( I had to waste all that food and I didn't eat Doritos for a year!
  • cramernh
    Options
    I did this on a trip once, made single serve baggies of snack like Doritos, cookies etc. Through the them all in a grocery sack with other things I had bought for the trip. Well several hours into the trip I grab a bag of Doritos and start munching away but they tasted/ smelled horrible like some strange perfume. It was tampons. lol apparently the warm floor board of the car made the unopened box of tampons release their smell and was absorbed right into my food baggies:( I had to waste all that food and I didn't eat Doritos for a year!

OH MY GAWD!!!!!! I wont laugh at this because Ive done it before....
  • Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    -phew- I'm glad I am not the only one!
  • cramernh
    Options
    -phew- I'm glad I am not the only one!

NOW Im gonna laugh... LOL!!!

Yeah, I was 25, a trip to Toronto, CA from Manchester, NH.... 13 hour drive give-or-take.... ***sigh.....
  • daves160
    daves160 Posts: 600
    Options
    I guess I'm weird. I have never had that issue. I use plastic baggies all the time. I don't leave the food in warm places though.

And by the way, I love Walmart! and I'm not afraid to admit it.
  • Rockinteacherchick
    Rockinteacherchick Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am glad I am not the only one who has had this problem with baggies! The taste is so bad sometimes that I DO throw out the food. I have tried cereal, chips, crackers, cookies, etc. and to no avail, everything eventually tastes weird. I now try to store everything in containers, which takes up a lot more room, but at least the food is edible. The Dollar Tree and Big Lots are good places to find cheap containers!
  • Rockinteacherchick
    Rockinteacherchick Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    And thanks for the reusable bag site! I am looking at it right now!