Vegans/Vegetarians/Humane People?

Options
Tell me, how do you get rid of mice without killing them?
I really hate traps. I don't wish to kill them. I just want them out of my house.

Replies

• BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    Have you considered pied piping?
  • livnlite
    livnlite Posts: 520
    Options
    Tell me, how do you get rid of mice without killing them?
    I really hate traps. I don't wish to kill them. I just want them out of my house.

You can get a live trap .. and then 'relocate' them. Usually sold a just about any hardware store.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    You can catch em in one of those bucket traps, and let em loose.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HL90_X2ms88

Basically a ramp to a bucket with food..they climb up, fall in and can't get out. There's many variations. Even a slanted book and they can run up into the bucket.
  • BondBomb
    Options
    Seriously there are catch and release traps. They are easy to use. Just release the far away from your house.
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Have you considered pied piping?

I really wish more people would attempt pied piping. I hear it is quite effective in some areas.
  • KateCon912
    KateCon912 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Get a live trap to catch them... but to deter them from getting in your house, put peppermint sticks around. They don't like the smell of them. Just make sure they're wrapped. Or you can get a bag of peppermint, that's what we did. It's specifically for deterring mice.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I'm really happy that you don't want to kill the mice. :smile: It's not their fault that they don't understand the whole concept of people owning houses and not that they aren't really wanted there if they aren't being kept as pets.

I really hate the human ego that forgets that we are animals too and they are not less important than we are.
  • BondBomb
    Options
    Get a live trap to catch them... but to deter them from getting in your house, put peppermint sticks around. They don't like the smell of them. Just make sure they're wrapped. Or you can get a bag of peppermint, that's what we did. It's specifically for deterring mice.
    Good to know!
  • anastasiawildflower
    anastasiawildflower Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I should mention that we have two dachshunds and a german shepard in the house. All of which are great at getting into things. I am having trouble finding live traps, but I only had a couple moments to look at everything. Do you think peppermint oil would be good at deterring them?
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    We emptied out the cats very, very stinky litter box and left that bag of nasty litter open neat the spot where the mice were coming in for about a week and they got the message. Of course I wanted to actually put the cat out there, but husband said that would be cruel.