Eating After dinner?

Options
to help my weightloss, i didnt eat after my dinner, which i believed was my "secret" for loosing 28 pounds in 3 months? does it make a difference eating late at night? what is your guys opinion's? :) thanks - Nadia x

Replies

• maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    No, it doesn't matter. As long as you stay at your calorie goal you should lose weight.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    No, it doesn't matter. As long as you stay at your calorie goal you should lose weight.

^ THIS. Focus on hitting your daily calorie/macronutrient goal and disregard meal timing. Provided you can hit your end of day goals, you should eat whenever it best suits your lifestyle.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I think the secret behind that was, you ate all your days calories..then whatever you ate after dinner was in excess and either kept you at maitenence, or added weight.

That's why most people think stopping eating in the evening helps...they don't realize their 300-500 calorie 'snack' turns into another 4 or 5 lbs gained every few weeks.

If you have calories to spare, doesn't really matter when you consume em.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I always eat after dinner.
  • Raf702
    Raf702 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter if its 2, 3, or even 4am in the morning. As long as your under your daily calorie intake. You WILL not gain weight/fat. It's a misconception that eating late will get you fat, etc. It's only true, IF that meal consumed goes over your calorie allowance for the day. Even if you go to sleep immediately after you've eaten and still under your calorie consumption. You still won't gain any weight. Just make sure that you are under or just at the calorie allowance with any meal you eat in the day, night, or late night. Other than that, don't lose sleep over it.
  • court182
    court182 Posts: 307
    Options
    I always have a snack after dinner.
  • recesq
    recesq Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Yes it does matter. Certain hormones are triggered by a certain amount of time after your last digestion. If you don't give your body enough time to be fasting while you sleep your metabolsm suffers. For those of you who feel differently do some research on this and you'll find out you are mistaken.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Yes it does matter. Certain hormones are triggered by a certain amount of time after your last digestion. If you don't give your body enough time to be fasting while you sleep your metabolsm suffers. For those of you who feel differently do some research on this and you'll find out you are mistaken.

I have done my research and stand by what I said.
  • dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on what you are eating so close to bed. If you are eating a large number of calories (even if its part of your calorie count) it could make weight loss a little slower. This is just my opinion.

If I know I'm working out in the evening I count my calories earlier so that I eat them earlier but I will sometimes have a 100-200+ snack of 100 calorie mini bag of popcorn and if I have the calories a glass of wine with it.....salty and sweet. Still losing weight like this!!!
  • Raf702
    Raf702 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I have done my research and stand by what I said.

/\ Agreed.
  • oopsiedaezie
    Options
    For me it depends, I have snacked after dinner occasionally but I tend to have finished eating/snacking 2-3 hours before I go to bed. I have tried eating right before bed a couple of times and I did not really feel well. I can't really explain it, but I felt uncomfortable while trying to fall asleep and my stomach felt all bloated. BUT that could just be me, I am a bit of an odd duck :tongue:
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I will literally eat 2000 calories before bed at times (depending on how late I start my feed window) and I will lose weight, and I don't have any physiological gifts that allow me to somehow disobey thermodynamics. As long as you are eating in a deficit it makes zero difference when you consume your calories.