Runners-need advice

Options
i am training for a half and on my last two long runs when I getting short of breath (like on a hill), I start freaking out like I am not going to be able to catch my breath so I stop and walk for like 20 seconds to catch my breath. I guess my question is this: Are there any tricks or training I can do to work through my breathing to get it evened out without stopping? Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Replies

• UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Go slower than you think you should. If you feel like you are reaching the point of breathlessness and you want to run long distances slow down. I only reach that point if I am trying to run as fast I can for speed training.
  • xunsungxherox
    Options
    may sound stupid but theres a vocal warmup exercise that allows you to breathe naturally while singing, without your air supply dying out, not sure it would work but worth a shot right?

just take a deep breath and then make a shh sound until all your air is gona, dont force it but make it as powerful as possible without forcing the sound.

repeat the process 5-10 times.

as i say no promises but might work. do it before your run obviously.
  • jlanz10
    jlanz10 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Go slower up the hill if you have to...And, once you crest the hill, try to take a deep breath, as deep as you can, and blow it out hard...Like a cleansing breath, if youre familiar with Lamaze...Lol...And, if you have to walk for 20 seconds, its not a big deal...
  • johnhowson
    johnhowson Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I can't totally tell you why but I used to get breathless on runs but I don't any more. I think it is just a question of pushing your fitness up gradually. On hills when you start off it is a good idea to take it slowly. And really good advice not to look up to the top of the hill. Just think a few steps ahead of where you are right now and don't think about getting to the top. That piece of advice really helped me anyway.
  • jenocelot
    Options
    It's ok to slow down or walk a bit. Jeff Galloway's books and info on the net re. his run/walk method are excellent. I went last year from regular plain old walking, to running just a little, to 5k 2 months into running and then completed marathon after 6 more months of training. Also do you have a heart rate monitor? Highly recommended to know for sure whether you are working hard enough to improve cardiovascular fitness, or working too hard. There are some decent ones not too expensive. : ) ps Galloway was from FSU (my alma mater, is it yours?) Also, if you read up on running, read about 'hill repeats' and go slowly but do them -- you will get better at it!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I find that counting my breaths in and out helps me to keep my rhythm.
    I tend to do this when I'm just getting started if I don't feel quite "smooth" and if I'm getting tired, up hills etc.
    It gives me something concrete to focus on and helps me keep going when it's hard - works well for me.
    Try it when you aren't stressed to find your rhythm - when I'm running slow and relaxed I count in for two strides and out for four but if I'm working hard I change to 2 in and 3 or 2 out. But you need to find what works for you.

Running slower is excellent advice too.
  • fsu326
    fsu326 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I do feel like I need to slow down on my long runs but my competitive side gets in the way. My husband is the fsu grad.