Heart Rate Monitors

Options
I'm thinking of getting a new heart rate monitor so I can ACCURATELY measure calories burned through running, classes etc. Can anyone recommend a fairly cheap one? Also, are they really worth it?

Replies

• babygurl48
    babygurl48 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar Ft4. I love it!! It tracks your calories and time and heart rate in your time zone. I picked it up for $135. Remember, you get what u pay for. There are other models out there.. you can also google heart rate monitors and they show all kinds. Hope that helps.
  • JJasMyself
    JJasMyself Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking of getting a new heart rate monitor so I can ACCURATELY measure calories burned through running, classes etc. Can anyone recommend a fairly cheap one? Also, are they really worth it?

I was thinking about doing the same thing so I can get accurate calorie counts for workout programs that aren't in the database.
  • much2gain
    Options
    I would love the answer to this question too. I've looked at the Gaima "touch" at Target. My true question though is "do they work and fit larger people or are the bands that wrap around you only made for "average" people?"
  • PatBeard
    Options
    I have a heart rate monitor that I use regularly. I found that the calories burned on this site for exercise classes are higher than what I actually burn according to my watch. I have a sportline that I got at Wal-mart. It is not very user friendly and has a lot of info on it. I haven't figured it out yet so I just use it to count calories and tell me my heartrate. I think having a watch is definately worth the money.
  • ShellBell4281
    ShellBell4281 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar F11. I love it! I don't remember how much I spent on it. It's a couple years old and still works great. It's a relatively pricey item but it's well worth it.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    i got my polar ft4 just the other day and i love it. got it for $60 on amazon.com
    i was worried about the chest strap not fitting (im at about 256lbs.. 44dd bra size) but its very comfortable and i almost forget im wearing it most of the time.
  • MrsM1ggins
    MrsM1ggins Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Try Aldi or Lidl. They often have them in for about £12. I use one I got from them and it's been reliable and accurate.
  • oswaldbowser
    oswaldbowser Posts: 164 Member
    Options

Ok this is going to upset a few people, the calorie counters on all Heart Rate Monitors are just a gimmick and not accurate, this is because everyone burns calories at different rates. If you go onto the Polar heart rate monitor site it even tells you that the calorie counter is not accurate

If you want to accurately count your calories you will need the "Ki Fit or Bodybugg as it is known in the U.S.A, this is not a heart rate monitor by a very accurate caloire monitor which works on body temp and 1000s of other measurements taken from the skin, it is accurate up to 5%

I have the Ki Fit to and also the Polar FT60...I wear both when training, the Polar will say I have burnt say 780 calories but when I check with the Ki Fit it can be half of that figure.....ok now the problem is this, if you eat back your calories and take the HR monitors figures you could and I say could be over your calorie intake and so could be the reason your not losing weight so quick

Heart rate monitors are what they say they are.....ideal for making sure you are training in the right zone eg fat burning zone or cardio zone etc

I hope this helps