Ladies who lift

Options
Hi all! I I was just wondering if anyone else has trouble lifting heavy due to weak gripping muscles/ inability to really get your hands around the bar? Today I noticed that only my hands really felt my dumbbell lunges, and I was hacig similar trouble holding the bar with my deadlifts, even though he weight was okay. I've been lifting for a month or so, is this something that will just improve as my gripping muscles get stronger, or do any of you have any suggestions to ameliorate this?

Replies

• tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    there are things you can use to improve your grip strength - squeezy things! -- but honestly that sounds odd to me, is it possible you're trying to do things with too much weight? Or are these oddly large bars? I've never had that problem although to be fair I DO have kind of large hands for a girl my size.
  • fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I have a really hard time holding onto the 25 lb weight in my left hand only. I use those ones when I do lunges or squats, and after about 5 reps, I can feel it slipping.
  • la_flaca
    la_flaca Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    you can buy lifting straps to help with this....I started working with a trainer recently, and he lent me a pair for a couple workouts. I have the same problem; for example, the backs of my legs can handle a lot more weight in a Romanian deadlift than I can grip for very long.

You sort of wind them around your hand and then around the bar - not hard to do, but hard to explain when you can't see what I'm talking about. Google them - common brands include Harbinger and Schiek.