Freezers full of deer meat....

Options
KristynStephens15
KristynStephens15 Posts: 861 Member
My husband got a buck last week and now my freezer is FULL of deer meat. When I got one a couple years ago i had the bulk of it ground up. That was easy. My husband however had this one made into all kinds of roasts, steaks, and tenderloins! What to do with it all? Any recipes? Tips? Ideas?

Thanks, Kristyn

Replies

• JonC03
    JonC03 Posts: 28
    Options
    Nothing better then venison. My wife and I take about a table spoon extra virgin olive oil. Warm in a pan then add two or three sweet onions to the pan. Put the steaks on top and little season salt and fresh ground pepper. Cover and let cook on a low heat for 45 minutes to a hour. Should be very tender and taste great. The burger we use in things. She doesn't like it by itself. Congrats on getting a deer. I took one three weeks ago. Been eating good ever since.
  • deathstarclock
    deathstarclock Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    There's no deer around these parts, so you can mail me some of that! :]
  • ChrisWag
    ChrisWag Posts: 169
    Options
    We do our back straps this way......
    Soak it in salt water all day to get the "gamey" taste out better, then we cook it with onions and mushrooms in a fry pan with either a little coco oil or butter.
    Yummo!!!!
  • Birdetta
    Birdetta Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It's so good sliced up into fingersteaks. My husband loves burritos and tacos. Diced up it makes a mean filler for them.
  • Danahimself
    Danahimself Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Im not much to advocate meat eating much however deer meat is quite a delicacy I think and so good and lean. Your fortunate to have the selection to eat from.

Maybe some cheese and wine with it would be grand!
  • KristynStephens15
    KristynStephens15 Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! Im not a fan of the steaks usually because i dont like the 'gamey' taste but I will definitly try the salt water soak!!!