Are my exercise calories right?

Do you ever worry, as you eat up all of your earned exercise points, that maybe....just maybe the calculator you used to figure the activity is not correct?

By the way....I am new here....can you tell? :)

Replies

• rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    i dont trust hrms 100% so i eat back about half my exercise cals...not sure if im doing the right thing tho since ive been losing the same 4 pounds for 2 weeks
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Yes I do worry. During the week I work on machines that have a heart rate monitor and do take into consideration my weight and age. Those I'm pretty comfortable with their accuracy as I've even confirmed it with an HRM I borrowed from a friend. My concern comes on days like today. I spent 170 minutes refereeing soccer. I ran hard for both games, had my heart rate going pretty good and all so I know I burnt a lot. However, MFP calculated over 2000 calories burned. I just can't see it being quite that high so I reduced it by 25%. As it is now I likely won't even be able to eat back all those calories, which is common for me on days like that. I did use today as a day to splurge quite a bit (since i have so many calories). Pizza and Frozen custard for dinner today, although still being careful not to over do it.

All you can do is try to make your best estimate using the tools you have. Be honest with yourself too. I always err on the conservative side (rounding down the number of minutes for an exercise for instance). Sorry, I know that doesn't give you any real answers but I hope you can find something helpful in all that rambling.
  • Personally I do wonder if they are right.. I usually try to have around an extra 100 calories at the end of the day in case my calories are actually less :)
  • I do. So i check both myfitnesspal and my gym's free app (24 hour fitness) and make sure they 'mesh'. Check a few different sites and stop stressing yourself. Think about how hard you're really working, so use that to judge. The fact is that ANY movement is good. So don't beat yourself up :)
  • smashleymcgee
    smashleymcgee Posts: 135 Member
    Sometimes it isn't as accurate as it could be. If you want an accurate number get a heart rate monitor, or if you are using a machine (treadmill, bike, etc) then enter your age and continue to use the HRM on it as those would both give you a more accurate reading.
  • krypt5
    krypt5 Posts: 243 Member
    The calculator here is based off estimations, its not 100% accurate, but its pretty close.
  • JennyJacobsen
    JennyJacobsen Posts: 72 Member
    I usually don't eat up the exercise calories! But I do hope my exercise calories are correct to burn enough for the week.
  • haeden
    haeden Posts: 183 Member
    I give myself a little room for error.I eat back my calories usually but leave like 100 calories out or one day eat them back and another eat like half back
  • Jomalone2
    Jomalone2 Posts: 129 Member
    Nothing will be 100% accurate but making yourself aware of how much you are taking in and burning is a key factor. I did compare it to what the treadmill told me and they were very close. So I am guessing it is a safe estimate, but not an exact science.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    I don't worry about whether or not it is exact because even if it's off by a hundred or so, I'm still going to be in a calorie deficit, and I'm only working with a small deficit to lose about a half pound a week. I'm still choosing healthy options and exercising like a woman possessed. I'm doing the right things. So if my estimations are off, and I lose one pound ever three weeks instead of every two weeks, it doesn't much matter. It's still the right direction.
  • janinab75
    janinab75 Posts: 147 Member
    Yup, I've thought that MFP tends to be high, so I also use "map my ride" (or run) and "runkeeper." Since then I think MFP has been slightly over estimating, but not too badly. I feel a little better about it since I've been using other sites too.
  • redsquirrel80
    redsquirrel80 Posts: 1 Member
    I always eat back my exercise calories. I checked on two different sites (MyFitnessPal and Livestrong) and they coincide so that is good enough for me. It must be correct because I have lost 20lbs! :)
  • felicityksr
    felicityksr Posts: 208 Member
    I wear a Polar HRM for most exercise and I have found the calorie count to be pretty close to what my HRM says it is. :flowerforyou:
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    No, over thinking and worrying about stuff usually just leads to a head ache.

I've lost 15lbs so far using this site so I guess it's got something right...