How did you FINALLY lose weight after months of failure?

Options

Replies

• azzacca
    azzacca Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I lost 10 pounds in about 2 months, then didn't really work at losing weight for 3 months but managed to maintain that loss. I then joined a team weight loss program at Lifetime Fitness and lost another 10 pounds. I improved my eating quite a bit, and worked hard. Too hard. We had measured my anaerobic threshhold too high and was working out at too high a heart rate so I didn't lose as much as I could have. I switched to a team fitness (combining weight lifting and cardio) and didn't lose any weight (gained 4 pounds) but lost 3% body fat in 8 weeks. Now that I'm in the correct heart rate zones and followed my trainers advice to cut my "sweet treats" to one per day, I'm down 5 pounds in 2 weeks. My trainer rocks because she knows I like sugar, and haven't been able to cut it out. She understands people are human and have weaknesses and she works with that, rather than telling me I have to be perfect all the time.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,114 Member
    Options
    Ya'll are pretty dedicated. I admire that. Hopefully it will rub off on me because I hate to log food. I will try!

OP, no one hates logging food more than I do. I've been on MFP - on and off - since 2007. Every once in a while I think, "Pssh- I got this."
    That's when I've been at a good weight and logging faithfully for months. But each time I think I got it, I gain 10-15 pounds and have to go back to the logging.

I finally realized that I can log my food in under three minutes per meal. I know the database and how to use it. It's not the logging, it's getting sucked into the forums :laugh:

oops..........
  • dannylives
    Options
    Thank you!
  • HeatherR930
    HeatherR930 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I lost weight sophomore year of high school. I got down to 150 & felt pretty good, but it took no time to gain it back because I didn't make a lifestyle change, & I didn't WANT it more than I wanted to eat whatever I wanted.

I've started diets several times since then, but it was the same thing...I didn't want it enough to make the sacrifices necessary. I loved eating out!

I finally want it bad. I am tired of being the chunky one & I finally am okay with not being able to just eat whatever I want for the rest of my life. It was hard at first. I was used to eating out all the time & ordering whatever I wanted. Once my body stopped being used to this, it stopped craving the bad foods.

I also needed to find a workout that was fun. I lose interest in the treadmill, elliptical, etc after awhile. It goes by so slowly & is so boring! But I found zumba, got addicted, & look forward to getting my workouts now. It is a blast & it's working great for me.

The other thing was I needed a tool to help me keep track of what I ate. Guessing in your head what you can eat & what you have left is not effective. This is where mfp came in!

So, my motivations are my absolute desire to lose weight far exceeding my love of food, zumba, & mfp!! You've gotta want it more than the food & find the control, then find the tools to help you succeed! Good luck!
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I was at a plateau for a good two years, always stuck at 155 give or take 5 lbs after losing 30 lbs from my high weight. I joined MFP and the plateau continued for a while. But once I started logging EVERYTHING, getting more involved in the community, and joining a couple challenges I broke through it.

Actually, the catalyst was getting dumped by my fiance. Kinda fell right off after that. At first I didn't make major changes so I guess the stress jump started things but the other stuff kept it going.
  • ambermichon
    ambermichon Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I worked out like a dog (6 days a week cardio and weights) and lost inches but no lbs for almost a year (after an initial loss). That was until I started really monitoring what I was eating. I had no idea how many cals were in some "healthy" things I was eating. Upon joining MFP and logging I started losing. Also I eat back my exercise cals and am still losing. I have 9 lbs to go to my goal weight!!!
  • Speedy89
    Options
    Only thing that really worked for me was going vegetarian...did that back in January. The moment I started seeing pounds come off, I completely changed my lifestyle.

I was 165 pounds in January...then I started working out and eating right, joined MFP shortly after. By July, I had lost 40 pounds, gained a good amount of muscle, and I've never felt better.

Ran 20 miles in 2hr:42m:03s on Saturday...running a marathon in 2 weeks...very excited to cross that finish line.
  • brit49
    brit49 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Bump!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    One thing I've found with clients who went through this it that they weren't as CONSISTENT as they thought they really were. Start there.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Honestly when I'm not losing it's because I'm slacking off.
    I'm not going to work out, or I'm consistently eating over my calories.

When I do what I'm supposed to be doing I almost always lose. Unless it's that TOM and then I'll lose the week after. :smile:
  • NuevaNatalia
    NuevaNatalia Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    This is my situation right now.
  • grau62000ameze
    Options
    this sound s like me rgiht now.d scale isnt shifting (but clothes getting loose a bit)and doctor says my BP is fine...i think i need to check with u for mor advice,thanks
  • grau62000ameze
    Options
    bump...I need have this around to read as well....lots of good suggestions..and motivation...my scales dont seeem to be moving but clothes are fitting a little loser...
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I made it important. My life pretty much revolved around it until I got it under control. The elephant in the living room is this - over 90% of us will begin to lose weight if we stick to a diet and exercise program faithfully.
  • SabrinaLC
    SabrinaLC Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I quit taking advice from people on MFP
    and ta da! I'm losing weight again
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is 80% diet. If you haven't lost any weight after exercising 5x a week, you need to take a good look at your food diary here, it will tell you what's not working for you.
  • hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    i'm interested to know too,
  • jbbrannon
    jbbrannon Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    My husband was dieting and exercising with me!! :smile:
  • JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    You all are so impressive in persevering in your weight loss. I don't think I could go a month or six weeks with no weight loss and keep going. I get upset when I go a week with no weight loss.
  • JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Honestly when I'm not losing it's because I'm slacking off.
    I'm not going to work out, or I'm consistently eating over my calories.

When I do what I'm supposed to be doing I almost always lose. Unless it's that TOM and then I'll lose the week after. :smile:

That's how I am so far, except I have no weight gain during TOM. I usually lose just fine. If I eat back all that I burn off exercising I won't lose either, but I don't have a heart rate monitor that calculates calories.