Question about Abs

Options
How often should you work out abs if you are looking to do a significant amount of toning and strengthening there?

I've read some that some people say you have to give your abs a rest day and I've read that others say it's not an issue to work them every day so I'm not really clear on what's best / most effective.

And what about if you've been doing yoga that's very ab-focused about every other day. Is it safe to do other ab exercises of those off days?

Replies

• babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    some of the best exercise for abs are things you wouldnt expect. running is awesome! i started getting my abs when i started running, but do some ab exercises as well.
    and yeah give them a rest just in case.
  • mrau719
    mrau719 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    abs are like any other muscle. You need to give them rest days. Once or twice a week is all I do, but honestly abs are made in the kitchen...not the gym. So if you really want 'em to show make sure you've already started there ;)
  • krypt5
    krypt5 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I've experimented over the years with different frequency, rep ranges and what not. Doing it frequently has never affected aesthetics, but it certainly affected strength. I know this isn't really a good answer for you, but it could depend on your goals.

Since you are talking about aesthetics, the frequency doesn't matter. You can workout 2-3 times a week and that would be fine. Also, to get your abs to show, no amount of exercise will help, you have to reduce your bodyfat for that.
  • blakeman187
    Options
    For core strength it depends, some people say every day, some say once a week. I work abs every other day.
    As for tone, that is all about diet. You could do 1000 crunches a day with a crappy diet and not have toned abs.

If you want to see your abs you need to lower bf%
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    For core strength it depends, some people say every day, some say once a week. I work abs every other day.
    As for tone, that is all about diet. You could do 1000 crunches a day with a crappy diet and not have toned abs.

^ This, and IIFYM represent.
  • Samerah12
    Samerah12 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    abs are like any other muscle. You need to give them rest days. Once or twice a week is all I do, but honestly abs are made in the kitchen...not the gym. So if you really want 'em to show make sure you've already started there ;)

^yep.
  • aprilhelmreich
    aprilhelmreich Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm not even bothering focusing on my abs right now cuz I won't be seeing the results anytime soon anyway! Not to say I don't do ab stuff but I don't focus on it. Like the guys said, I'm working on lowering my bf% first!
  • idiocracy
    idiocracy Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I don't work out muscle groups, I do calisthenics and the abs just get caught up in the movement. I am getting nice abs, without doing any crunches. It's the overall workout.
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I don't work out muscle groups, I do calisthenics and the abs just get caught up in the movement. I am getting nice abs, without doing any crunches. It's the overall workout.

this, im getting abs and i only started incorporating ab exercises like this week. its all about your overall workout!
  • calderst
    calderst Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I used to hate the phrase "abs are made in the kitchen"... until I lost 13 pounds and suddenly had the definition I'd been working hard for in frustration. As much as it sucks for those of us who love to workout as much as we love to eat whatever we want-- abs are made in the kitchen.
    If you're doing a lot of plank style moves in your routine, you're probably already building the necessary strength and foundation. What other types of abs moves are you considering adding? That would probably determine whether or not you should give yourself a rest day in between.
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I've experimented over the years with different frequency, rep ranges and what not. Doing it frequently has never affected aesthetics, but it certainly affected strength. I know this isn't really a good answer for you, but it could depend on your goals.

Since you are talking about aesthetics, the frequency doesn't matter. You can workout 2-3 times a week and that would be fine. Also, to get your abs to show, no amount of exercise will help, you have to reduce your bodyfat for that.

I'm doing cardio regularly now to try and drop my body fat but my core strength is terrible. I'm fine in my arms and legs but for some reason I have the hardest time strengthening my abs.
  • terar21
    Options
    some of the best exercise for abs are things you wouldnt expect. running is awesome! i started getting my abs when i started running, but do some ab exercises as well.
    and yeah give them a rest just in case.

I'm definitely making sure I'm running! Maybe I'll just up how much I'm working them on the days I do abs but make sure I give plenty of rest.
  • terar21
    Options

Thank you! How much do you work abs on days you do them?
  • terar21
    Options
    I used to hate the phrase "abs are made in the kitchen"... until I lost 13 pounds and suddenly had the definition I'd been working hard for in frustration. As much as it sucks for those of us who love to workout as much as we love to eat whatever we want-- abs are made in the kitchen.
    If you're doing a lot of plank style moves in your routine, you're probably already building the necessary strength and foundation. What other types of abs moves are you considering adding? That would probably determine whether or not you should give yourself a rest day in between.

There's a ton of plank moves and I can already tell a difference as far as strength but I guess I'm looking to strengthen even quicker since I've never really had much core strength even at times when I was pretty toned.

I'm not entire sure what I'd add but I think there would be crunch and adding small weights to try and up the difficulty. Maybe I could do them on the same days as yoga?
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    IMO - yoga type ab exercises you're fine without rest days. I do planks everyday. I wouldn't do crunches every day (I don't do crunches at all, I think they over build upper abs). I'm a big fan of leg raises.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I'm doing cardio regularly now to try and drop my body fat but my core strength is terrible. I'm fine in my arms and legs but for some reason I have the hardest time strengthening my abs.

Studies, and my personal experience show cardio (traditional cardio anyway) to be useless for shedding bodyfat, as compared to heavy strength training. Cardio WILL drop weight, as it utilizes both fat and muscle loss for fuel. Heavy weight training however, preserves lean mass (you WILL NOT BULK if eating on a deficit!!), and concentrates almost completely on fat loss for fuel.

That being said...tabata or interval style cardio...has a bit of a different effect...and are always beneficial!

Anyhow, sorry for the side track...but I feel it's related enough to your question to warrant a post =D.
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Abs is more about being at a bodyfat % low enough for them to actually show. So eating at a deficit is a must. Eating clean will help. If cardio helps create that deficit, go for it. I train my abs 2-3 times per week, and I don't do much, just hanging knee raises, some planks, and maybe weighted ab crunch machine. I've read that the abs are more dense than other musles, but they recover pretty quickly. You should train them like any other muscle group- using weights.
    Good luck!