Anyone else NEED to exercise in private?

I am really unfit and after attempting to exercise with my kids in the room for 10 years, I decided I needed to be locked away in a separate room. Unseen.

Anyone else need this? I've put up with years of kids smacking me while they particpate doing workouts, them laughing at my workout (hey, it was funny. I'm unfit and huff and puff lol), or taking orders (because hey, I'm a short order cook 24/7) that I've figured out that at this point in time, I need privacy to get my cheese together.

Is it just another quirk I have? I have many.

Replies

• I used to be like that. If my boyfriend entered the room I'd either ask him to leave or turn the DVD off. But as I got more fit I felt more confident and actually joined a gym! I workout in front of anyone now:)
  • My 5 year old asked me today why I worked out in a different room. I, incredulously, asked if he was serious. I mean, really? LOL

From past experience..

1000 questions about what I'm doing and why I'm doing it.
    200 attempts to do what I'm doing, resulting in injuring themselves or me in the process.
    Laughter (mine, or theirs, at what is going on)
  • I used to be like that. If my boyfriend entered the room I'd either ask him to leave or turn the DVD off. But as I got more fit I felt more confident and actually joined a gym! I workout in front of anyone now:)

I can't wait for this point in my life! Good for you :o)
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    I very much prefer solo workouts, too.

I had bronchitis so badly last year that I ended up in ER twice. Ever since then, when I workout hard I wheeze. I'm super insecure about it! lol

But, I'd like to get into hiking and biking in the spring so hopefully I can get over it to go on group outings!
  • fitmommy2012
    fitmommy2012 Posts: 451 Member
    Yeah I know what you mean! My almost 3 year old son is CRAZY while I am trying to exercise! And though he is so adorable when he attempts to do the exercises with me, not only is he a distraction but he is also a hazard. I have had many a time when I have tripped on him or kicked him or knocked into something trying to avoid him, so I know what you mean! I have to be in another room or working out while he is asleep! :smile:
  • Def. I tried to go to a public gym but I froze up, it feels like (no matter who it is) it's awkward =/

I just tried doing other exercises, like I can use a stationary bike in front of my fiance but I can't do crunches around him

I think it's a normal thing to feel =)
  • LuluGirl140
    LuluGirl140 Posts: 364 Member
    Me too!!
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    I do. Mine is more connected to my social anxiety than anything else.
  • Eleanorjanethinner
    Eleanorjanethinner Posts: 563 Member
    I'm not a Mum, but it would seem to me that it should be possible to teach your kids to treat you with respect? What does anyone else think? (obviously toddlers/ preschoolers are more of an issue but I'd think 5-6 and up could cope).

I don't think they should be smacking you and laughing at you (with you, fine, at you, not fine). And their requests for food can wait 30 min? Or they could be fed a snack beforehand and told that's all you're getting for till dinner time and whinging will be punished. Surely? Or am I deluded?
  • kleavitt1992
    kleavitt1992 Posts: 592 Member
    no i hate people being in the house at all they always try to look at me or say you didnt hit that move the way they did...me: I'm trying....

p.s i dont have kids im talking about my parents lol
  • fitmommy2012
    fitmommy2012 Posts: 451 Member
    :wink:
    I'm not a Mum, but it would seem to me that it should be possible to teach your kids to treat you with respect? What does anyone else think? (obviously toddlers/ preschoolers are more of an issue but I'd think 5-6 and up could cope).

I don't think they should be smacking you and laughing at you (with you, fine, at you, not fine). And their requests for food can wait 30 min? Or they could be fed a snack beforehand and told that's all you're getting for till dinner time and whinging will be punished. Surely? Or am I deluded?

Yeah that is true. I mean in my case, my son is just really interested in what I am doing and wants to join in...but I see what you mean. It has a LOT to do with respect issues, and when they are treating their mom disrespectfully like that, it is wrong. You make a good point, even for not being a mom yourself! :wink:
  • kjannan
    kjannan Posts: 248 Member
    I like to exercise super early in the morning, I like the solitude & it's an awesome start to the day. Nothing wrong with hiding away doing it, as long as you're doing it :smile:
  • Deckershann
    Deckershann Posts: 272 Member
    I like public gyms with TONS of people of all different levels. I don't like hardcore gyms filled with gym rats because I feel uncomfortable, or when (my current workout situation) apartment fitness rooms are dead.

I do know my mom ran a lot when I was young. She had her running time all to herself...to this day she can still outrun me whenever lol.

I couldn't bother her when I couldn't keep up xD
  • Maggs_2011
    Maggs_2011 Posts: 6 Member
    its not just you ...im the same way i have to wait until my 2yr old is napping durring the day and when everyone is already in bed for the night. i dont know why, but i seem to do better when there is no one watching me. welcome to my world LOL!
  • I'm not a Mum, but it would seem to me that it should be possible to teach your kids to treat you with respect? What does anyone else think? (obviously toddlers/ preschoolers are more of an issue but I'd think 5-6 and up could cope).

My kids are only mean towards each other (sibling rivalry and all that) and when I say they smack me I just mean that they do it when they're imitating what I am doing. They're not doing it maliciously. Dont' let my post keep you from wanting children lol Kids are sooooo enthusiastic that they just don't think about how far away they should stand from another person while doing something.

And being a short order cook. I dont' know. Maybe it is just my kids but they ALWAYS seem to want something when I am working out. Now I just tell them 'tough cookies! Mama is working out!' and they have to wait lol

Of course this doesn't work when your kids are about 2 or younger ;o)
  • I LOVE knowing I am not alone here. Thanks for the replies :o)
  • efwolfcub
    efwolfcub Posts: 99 Member
    I can generally go to the gym without a problem, unless someone next to me decides they want to be talkative - then I usually find another lane / another machine etc. at home, other than walking the dog, its always as solo as possible. I'm the same way about cleaning though - I do NOT want someone in my space when i'm working out or cleaning, as a general rule - to the point that I've been blunt with my roommates (as in "I'm waiting for you to go to bed or get out of the house so I can clean")
  • I do. Mine is more connected to my social anxiety than anything else.

I HATE social anxiety! It is so debilitating!
  • I can generally go to the gym without a problem, unless someone next to me decides they want to be talkative - then I usually find another lane / another machine etc. at home, other than walking the dog, its always as solo as possible. I'm the same way about cleaning though - I do NOT want someone in my space when i'm working out or cleaning, as a general rule - to the point that I've been blunt with my roommates (as in "I'm waiting for you to go to bed or get out of the house so I can clean")

One would think that they'd give you all house access without their presence if you'll clean.

p.s. I don't like my kids watching me clean the bathroom for some reason. Maybe because they're so.... messy? Like they're planning to mess it up as I clean.
  • ChrisStoney
    ChrisStoney Posts: 479 Member
    The gym I go to is usually empty (it's at my job) but occasionally when I go alone I will find another person there. I like working out with other people at times, but working out alone is great also. You can fall into a rut if you work out alone all the time. I also go to a real gym at times, but will lift with a friend. I don't like the crowded gym's where everyone is wearing headphones and avioding everyone else, what a bunch of *kitten*-holes, jumping into your set, changing up the weights on you without asking, makes you not want to lift....

It is good to get kids interested in exercise, going off to another room is not a good idea. If you cannot control them enough to work-out maybe join a gym with a daycare and take a class there....The kids would probably enjoy 'going out'. Plus you would get more motivation maybe....