The Bat

Options
That is what my 5 year old calls me, because I work all night and sleep all day :)

I work 7 days on/7 days off overnight, and am finding it even more difficult to lose weight being on this schedule. I am a hospital pharmacist and have been doing this shift for 3 years..I love it because it is the least stressful job I have ever held, and there is very little work at night so I get to do what I want...read, watch tv/movies/nap lightly, EAT...seriously, I have a munching problem. Also I tend to eat something in the morning before I go to sleep for fear that a hungry belly is going to wake me prematurely, and I eat when I wake up, basically to wake up!!

I would love to hear from those who work this shift as to what your strategies are to lose weight!

Replies

• moushtie
    moushtie Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Find a small craft project you can do in between jobs? I make friendship bracelets, because they're small and easy to pick up and put down, but I'm sure there are other things you could be doing to keep your hands busy. I know I took cross stitching in to one job!
  • fraya1
    fraya1 Posts: 34
    Options
    I work night shift too and find myself going carb crazy! ALL I want to do is to eat. The only thing that helps is to stuff myself with veggies and protein.
    Another thing, I tell myself what times I can eat, I find this pretty effective.
  • ChrisStoney
    ChrisStoney Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Morning watch does suck!! I am on it doing overtime... I guess if it is your regular shift, you should be adjusted enough to lose weight... the shift is not the problem. I look around the place I work and see some people who are fat, but others who are in good shape who work morning watch.

-Make sure you get enough sleep. Don't do the 3 hours here, 3 hours there sleep.
    - Go to the gym either before work or after.
    -bring healthy things to munch on
    - stick to your goals
    -If you have down time, do some pushups or walk in the hallway (you probably have a pager)
    - try to have routine meals so there is no guesswork, if it works stick with it
    - find someone else on your shift who is a fitness buff who can support you and call you out if need be...
  • jen_pughe
    jen_pughe Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people have success with eating every three hours. So that they are never actually hungry. May be that would work? I agree with bringing healthier snacks with you to have on hand. Could you do a work out video there? May be make yourself do the 30 day shred. It is only 20 minutes and goes by so fast. Or do it before or after work? That would be hard to have such a different schedule, but I know you can do it! And just like your schedule has come routine you can make this a routine too! We are here for you!