Confusion = calories burned in exercise

Options
I just came back from the gym. It had been quite some time since I'd been there last and I just jumped on the stationary bike and then elliptical and let them run on manual mode. I didn't enter in my age or weight or anything like that, so, I'm thinking that what the calories burned display probably wasn't too accurate. They were:

Bike: 20 minutes @ moderate effort = 107 cal
Elliptical: 10 minutes @ moderate effort = 58 calories

I come back home to log my exercise, and MFP lists the same exercises as

Bike = 217 cal
Elliptical = 138 cal

I was expecting a difference, but not THAT much of a difference. So....not sure which one is more accurate. Or should I guesstimate somewhere in the middle? Does MFP account for you weight when calculating calories burned?

Any help figuring this out would be appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• mutkin
    mutkin Posts: 109
    Options
    I just came back from the gym. It had been quite some time since I'd been there last and I just jumped on the stationary bike and then elliptical and let them run on manual mode. I didn't enter in my age or weight or anything like that, so, I'm thinking that what the calories burned display probably wasn't too accurate. They were:

Bike: 20 minutes @ moderate effort = 107 cal
    Elliptical: 10 minutes @ moderate effort = 58 calories

I come back home to log my exercise, and MFP lists the same exercises as

Bike = 217 cal
    Elliptical = 138 cal

I was expecting a difference, but not THAT much of a difference. So....not sure which one is more accurate. Or should I guesstimate somewhere in the middle? Does MFP account for you weight when calculating calories burned?

Any help figuring this out would be appreciated. Thanks!
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. MFP and all of the calories burned websites were telling me I was burning over 300 calories in 15 min on my recumbent bike for moderate effort. I used a friend's HRM and I only really burned 125 calories so I just entered my own calories and I am using those.

Amy:bigsmile:
    118984.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • mutkin
    Options
    But I WANT the higher calorie amount. Dang! LOL
  • ColeenSanLeon
    ColeenSanLeon Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    LOL.... I wanted to use the higher one too :( but then I remembered I can't fit into any of my clothes and I was only cheating myself....dang it

It really bugs me too, because I am on beta blockers and sometimes I worry about working out too hard (since someone's post about blood flow on beta blockers) but at the same time I want the higher caloric burn... I'm hoping with the soon to be weightloss I can get off them, that would be cool.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I love my HRM. I know what I burn for sure what I burn. :flowerforyou:
  • mutkin
    Options
    So...HRM is the way to go for the most accurate calculation, right? Is it expensive to buy one?
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I bought the wrong one the 1st time, so my advise would be to save for a good one.

I have the polar f6 which was around 100 dollars. they are likely cheaper now...and you can find them on ebay too.

I am very happy with it. Would not want more, would not want less. It stores my workouts, gives me heart rate range and can even beep if you want it to bug the heck out of you to stay in your zone!!

I am very happy I invested in this pc of equipment.

:flowerforyou: