Surviving seafood--quick question on portions!

Options
Heya!

We're going out for seafood tonight. The restaurant has a dish that's "Wood Roasted Tilapia With shrimp in a light citrus butter & fresh green beans." If I tell them to leave the butter on the side and to go super light on the oil, I think I'll be ok.

But...how many ounces are typical restaurant fillets? I am godawful at eyeballing weight and don't want to accidentally consume 12 ounces of tilapia!

Replies

• Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Heya!

We're going out for seafood tonight. The restaurant has a dish that's "Wood Roasted Tilapia With shrimp in a light citrus butter & fresh green beans." If I tell them to leave the butter on the side and to go super light on the oil, I think I'll be ok.

But...how many ounces are typical restaurant fillets? I am godawful at eyeballing weight and don't want to accidentally consume 12 ounces of tilapia!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    6-8 oz.

I have worked in rest all my life and the usual weight for fish is 6-8 oz. A 6 oz pc of fish should be the size of a deck of cards. Fish is so low in calories, you are better off eating all of it and only part of the starch.

I order tilapia (sauce on side, no oil and lite salt) grilled veggies the same way, and a baked potato because you KNOW what is in that!!

I find once I have eaten the fish and veggies, I want very little of the potato.

Good for you for thinking before you go.

And because I know you are not shy, ask the server when she gives you the menus to ask the cook the oz in the fish! Thye know cuz they have to prep it!