Confused by my Weight Loss

Options
I just can't get my head around this weight loss. Doesn't seem to be any rhyme of reason to it !

I've been reall good all week with my eating. Generally stayed between 1100-1250 nett calories per day. Yet I only lost half a pound during the week.

Friday night I hit around 1600 nett calories and seemed to drop around 2 pound overnight.

Last night I pigged out (well relatively compared to how I used to be) and hit 1700 calories again, yet this morning I check the scales and I'm down another 2 pound from yesterday.

I don't understand what's going on here? How can I up my calories so much and lose loads? Or is it the good week catching up with me, and I will pay for my pigging in a few days time ?

Thanks

Replies

• Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    There is plenty of topics on the forums about not getting sufficient calories.

It would appear that 1600-1700 is the ideal for you. Stick to that for a while and see how you go.

It sounds weird to say "eat more to lose weight" but a lot of the time it is true.
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the weight loss...

It used to confuse me too, and that's when I realized my scales were broken and had to add back about 25 pounds. Check your scales and if they are working...here's another thought.

With women (can't speak for men), it has a lot to do with fluctuations throughout the month. No rhyme, no reason, just is. But you are doing so great...and I'm finding that it's a nice "worry" to watch the scales go down, instead of up. Clothes fitting, instead of making them fit.

Keep up the good work!
  • shazzahare
    Options
    The worst I had was one month eating under my calorie allowance with no exercise and I did not loose any weight at all. I was heart broken. Then I discovered this site threw in exercise and lost 7lb in first week. All to do with my thyroid and starving body. You will get there and as long as it is coming off that is what matters.

Only weigh yourself once a week as well that works .
  • ronchap
    ronchap Posts: 60
    Options
    Don't live by the scale and don't weigh every day. I used to do that and get frustrated with up 2 pounds then down 4 then up 3 etc... Went to once a week only and that smoothed out. Now that I'm getting close to goal I only weigh every couple of weeks. Also do measurements instead of weight. I found I lost an inch off my waist while not losing an ounce. Also plan on plateaus. they will happen and I don't mean 1 or 2 weeks but like a month. Congrats on the weight loss just keep working it all comes out in the end
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Did I see correctly that you are male? You are not eating nearly enough...most men need at least about 1800 a day minimum.
  • Lisa_222
    Lisa_222 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Don't weigh every day. Your daily ups and downs are more related to water than fat. Once a week max. Even once every two weeks is good. I've stopped checking the scale every day, it's nothing but frustration. Weight loss is slow and that's good and healthy. Patience is a virtue, I guess. I'm not patient, either, but remember one pound a week is 52 pounds a year. If you run out of patience and quit, you will still be fat in a year. Keep up the program and stash the scale in the closet except for your weigh date.
  • ms_leanne
    ms_leanne Posts: 523
    Options
    You may find that you have also boosted your metabolism by keeping an eye on what you are eating a sticking to a good regime.

Also, it does suggest on here you probably only weigh yourself weekly. I know for women any more frequently can be a nightmare for things like water retention and other things that make a womans life so delightful lol.
  • flabulous4
    flabulous4 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but it's probably a combination of a slight time lag between doing the activity and losing the weight, plus maybe you do need to eat a bit more - are you adding in an allowance for calories you earn exercising?
  • TrefG
    TrefG Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I'm weighing (but not logging) my weight every day at the minute to try and work out some kind of pattern with my weight loss. A kind of "Test and Measure" approach if you like.

Yes I am eating my exercise calories back, but still hitting around 1200 calories nett each day.