Do you have between 5-10kg's (11-22lb's) to lose?

Options
From what I understand, the higher your overall weight, the easier it is to lose weight in the early stages.

I just want to tone up and lose about 5 kg's. i'm at the end of week 2 and have put on weight since last Mondays weigh in.

Any one else with the same weight-loss goal and who's managed to conisistently lose weight?

Summer holidays are almost here and I want to rock my bikini! :)

Any advice would be appreciated.

:smile:

Replies

• clares06
    clares06 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    HI, I AM AIMING FOR AROUNG 15LBS, BUT 20 WOULD BE GOOD. YES YOU ARE RIGHT ABOUT THE LESS YOU HAVE TO LOOSE THE HARDER IT IS! I STARTED 5 DAYS AGO, AND HAVE LOST 2LBS, BUT HAVENT DIETED FOR A LONG TIME. I HAVE BEEN QUITE HUNGARY, BUT I WAS WAY OVER EATING. YOU LOOK RELLY SLIM IN YOUR PIC ANYWAYS HUNNI
  • Skinny_minny_mo
    Skinny_minny_mo Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    that's my motivational pic from 2yrs ago!

Yeah, i'm at 1200 calories a day and there's no way i can eat less than that...so i should be losing right?

wtg for your 2lb loss already!
  • AI1108
    AI1108 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    if you only have about 10 lbs to lose there's no need to be eating 1200 calories a day. I would start by increasing your calorie goal. You need to feed your body in order to let it metabolize the rest of what you're putting into your body. I know it's countintuitive, but the less you have to lose, the less your weekly goal should be. My weight fluctuates so I have between 7 - 10 lbs to go, and have set my goal to 1/2 lbs per week. It's been slow but with exercise it works. :)
  • Esmo23
    Esmo23 Posts: 32
    Options
    I'm at 1200 cals per day, and finding it difficult to see any results... I'm still trying tho! :) Are you exercising as well? Perhaps that might help? More toning exercises like sit ups and squats?
  • Amo_Angelus
    Amo_Angelus Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Same as me, I wa at 171 and my ideal weight is 153, although a little less is never harmful right? So long as it is a little less. I mainly just want to tone now, but...I keep slipping up and no one calls me on it >_<

I know it sounds strange, but 120cals has only ever made me gain weight....Is your food diary public? If so, I'll have a look when I get back and see if there's anything else on there that could be responsible...MSG always puts 2lbs on me for example. Just another reason why it's so bad...gosh I do miss soy sauce...so maybe I should aim for 151 and then I can eat soy sauce with no problems? Hmmm.... Anyway, add me if you like, I'm off out now with the dog.

Also, if you need a kick up the butt to strength train or whatever, let me know. Desperately seeking someone to kick me up the butt about strength training.
  • lenny776
    Options
    The weeks that I saw the most results were when I was drinking the most water. It helps to carry all the bad stuff out of your body, the only down side is having to pee all the time!
  • snailrunner
    snailrunner Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar situation, since joining my weight has fluctuated between my starting point of 62kg and twice it has gone down to 60.4kg then back up again! I've just started doing 30 Day Shred DVD (so many inspiring pics on here) and I'm trying to be generally active eg walking and cycling rather than driving when possible. I put my calorie intake up to 1300 and I eat at least some of my exercise calories. Some of the gain can only be attributed to poor eating (my partner is away and I miss him so much I'm not always making the right choices) but I'm determined to have an overall downward trend.

Feel free to add me as a friend. I'd like to lose 6kg altogether (and not the same 1.5kg again and again!)
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I started a while back and lost 20lbs (9kg) 150-130lbs, 5'8
    Was eating around 1500 net, and ate my exercise calories. The first 10lbs came off so quickly (in the first month) I think alot of it was water weight. The other 10lbs took ages to come off (around 7 months)
    In the last 1-2 months I was only eating to lose 1/2lb a week though as I was getting sick of the deficit - I actually think the higher calories helped me get the last little bit off!!

I didn't do any consistent form of exercise for the whole time, apart from strength training at the gym 2x a week and walking more. I did "Insanity" about 6 months into trying to lose weight. I also did other cardio exercises randomly throughout the months to get the calories I ate up.

I don't think you need to eat as low as 1200, but I would definately advise to find some sort of exercise to get involved in regularly, cardio & strength training, it helps alot, and in the last few lbs don't be afraid to put the cals up slightly, The less you have to lose, the less of a deficit you will need. Also, it makes it slightly easier to stick to and doesn't make the transition to maintainence as big. I'm thinking now if I did cardio more regularly and didn't wait so long to up my calories to 1/2 a week loss I might've lost the last half a bit quicker.
  • hlouisej
    Options
    I'm 5'6 and I have about 8kgs to lose. Have been on MFP for 50 days and have lost 3kg but it's quite slow going on the scale. However I have lost about 5 inches mainly from around my waist and my love handles. I am working out 4-5 days a week and on those days am eating back some of my exercise calories but not all of them so netting about 1400. I am also doing Body Pump 2x a week so probablty building some muscle. I have just started tracking body fat / muscle as well on my new scales. I am cutting way back on carbs (bread, rice, pasta, potatoes) and anything that vaguely resembles a cake or a biscuit (completely banished) but I am still allowing myself a bit of chocolate from time to time (once every 2 weeks). Diet consists of lean protein, vegetables, low fat yoghurts, fruit stuff like that. Am probably not drinking anywhere near enough water, that's my biggest challenge.
  • Skinny_minny_mo
    Skinny_minny_mo Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    I'm going on the guide calories that MFP gave me, which is 1200.

Doing some cardio (jogging and elliptical trainer) and no weight training, but lunges and squats :)

I guess I have to lower my expectations, up the water and keep the spirit up!! :smile:
  • Jesung
    Jesung Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I will try to lose 15 lbs at the end of my 12 week bulk. Not sure how long it'll take but I'm going for <10% bf
  • Amo_Angelus
    Amo_Angelus Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    1200 is the minimum ammount a small woman can eat.
    2000 is the average maintenance level of a healthy woman.

Excercising increases both of those numbers which is why you should eat back some if not all of your excercise calories.
    To loose weight effeciently (and keep it off) you should be eating somewhere between those two numbers.
    Eating below 1200 seems like it should help you loose weight, it actually does not. First it scares your body into stockpiling so you increase, then it eventually does start to loose weight, but by eating any reserves it can get it's hands on in the search for ketones...thi includes muscle and is called starvation (ketosis).

Your body responds best to having only a small defecit as it doesn't really notice that it's not getting a much food as normal and so continue to function at the higher rate. Increased motabolism, better bodily functions and so on. The more drastic the decrease the more your body notices. the more your body notices the more it adapts, the motabolism slows down, the bodys effeciency rating drops, the body tries to stockpile excess that it makes by slowing the motabolism and effeciency and thus you get the two for you, one for me thing going.

Things change if you're larger. For example, my fiancé is 100lbs heavier than me, he can eat only 1200 cals without his motabolism slowing at all simply because he has about 100lbs of reserve food for it to consume. You don't have that. You should not be aiming to loose more than 1lb a week (1500 cals ish).
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary from yesterday, and I really don't think you are eating enough. Only an apple for lunch? And if you look, your snacks are accounting for half your calories for the day. Cut back on the empty calories in your snacks and eat more healthy, balanced calories with your meals. You need to eat healthy calories. If you fill yourself up with quality food at meal times, you won't need to snack as much.
  • normusnonaliam
    normusnonaliam Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I have your same issues! I only have a little bit of weight to lose and it seems all the harder.
  • skye15
    skye15 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have about 25 pounds to lose..so frustrating, it doesn't seem to want to come off! I am don't know what else I could do. I actually don't usually eat my exercise calories, If I am hungry I eat them, if not, I don't.
  • hollyrlambert
    hollyrlambert Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I am trying to lose about the same - been on here for just over a month and have gone from 68kg to 63.8 (I'm 5ft 10.5).

The first 3 and a bit kgs seemed to come off quite quickly with me eating 1200 cals a day and walking 6kms 5 days a week (not eating exercise cals back). But as soon as I hit 64.6 it slowed up and its now taken me 2 weeks to lose 0.8 - so I'm trying to eat back some of my exercise cals an average about 1300-1500 cals a day.

It's so frustrating though knowing I only have 3.8kg's to go but it's clearly going to be a slow ride to get there haha. Plus I'm nervous about upping my intake as the 1200 net worked so well to start, but from everything I've read on here it seems to be the thing to do.

Anyone else have thoughts/experiences with this? So far I've only read about people who are trying to lose quite a lot more upping the calories to lose?