BMR Calories?

Options
so ive been netting at my BMR of 1300 calories. ive actually been eating about 1500 and burning 200 but it works the same. anyway, it gets to about 10pm and im hungry and i struggle to sleep. could the calculator be wrong, and if so how much should i up it to? im looking to maintain my weight also.

Replies

• stevwil41
    stevwil41 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Are you taking into account your activity level? If I understand it right your BMR is basically what you'd burn if you sat on the couch all day doing absolutely nothing. It doesn't take into account even the smallest things like walking to the car/cleaning house/walking up a flight of stairs at work/etc. Unless you are completely sedentary you're probably not eating enough. Maybe try adding a 100 calorie snack in the evening for a week or two and see how that goes.
  • a1rose
    a1rose Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    You may not be eating enough. Yes, you may want to lose weight but the calories posted on MFP are AVERAGES of many people with your same height, weight, and age. But EVERY SINGLE PERSON is different. It may be that you need to eat more calories a day.

For instance, I had a Resting Metabolic Rate (RMR) test done to see how many calories I burn a day "resting" and mine is above average at a little over 1800. The nutritionist recommended that I eat about 1700 calories a day to lose weight plus exercise (so with the exercise I net about 1400 calories a day, I do not eat my calories back, as recommended by the doc lady).

Try bumping up your net caloric intake to about 1500 and see if that helps the hunger issue.

I know when I first started MFP (before my test) I was trying to do 1400 calories a day with eating my calories back. I was STARVING all the time. And now, I feel great with my exercise and food. :)
  • 123Helena123
    Options
    You may not be eating enough. Yes, you may want to lose weight but the calories posted on MFP are AVERAGES of many people with your same height, weight, and age. But EVERY SINGLE PERSON is different. It may be that you need to eat more calories a day.

For instance, I had a Resting Metabolic Rate (RMR) test done to see how many calories I burn a day "resting" and mine is above average at a little over 1800. The nutritionist recommended that I eat about 1700 calories a day to lose weight plus exercise (so with the exercise I net about 1400 calories a day, I do not eat my calories back, as recommended by the doc lady).

Try bumping up your net caloric intake to about 1500 and see if that helps the hunger issue.

I know when I first started MFP (before my test) I was trying to do 1400 calories a day with eating my calories back. I was STARVING all the time. And now, I feel great with my exercise and food. :)

So does that mean my bmr may be like 1400?
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

So does that mean my bmr may be like 1400?

It means that your BMR might not be exactly as it's estimated in MFP. As a previous poster mentioned, BMR is a metabolic rate that doesn't include ANY activity.

I would recommend increasing your calorie intake. You can also eat more of your calories at night if it helps you sleep better. It will not have an adverse effect on your weight loss provided you are still eating in a deficit.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    BMR really has nothing to do with anything. BMR is what you burn in a coma. You need to calculate your TDEE, which is BMR plus daily activity. From there you figure out your calorie deficit to lose weight.