C25K - HELP!

Options
I've been following the C25K plan for a while now and it was going great! I got to week 5 and was terrified by the 20min run, but I did it! Then got to week 6 and completely flaked. Ran W6R2 and EXHAUSTED. Got to the final run and fell apart. After about 60secs of running I stopped, had lost all motivation and had no desire to run. I completed 30mins, running for a very short distances and then walking for three or four minutes at a time - it was PATHETIC.

Decided to go back to W6R2 and just could not do it, was exhausted! So now I'm back on W5R1. Did it on Friday and again today, but it's killing me, and I don't know what to do! I don't know how I've gone from being very ok with the progress, and moving along nicely with the programme, to completely falling apart.

Should I do W5R1 again? Go back? Or push foward.HELP!

Replies

• Josedavid
    Josedavid Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I've been following the C25K plan for a while now and it was going great! I got to week 5 and was terrified by the 20min run, but I did it! Then got to week 6 and completely flaked. Ran W6R2 and EXHAUSTED. Got to the final run and fell apart. After about 60secs of running I stopped, had lost all motivation and had no desire to run. I completed 30mins, running for a very short distances and then walking for three or four minutes at a time - it was PATHETIC.

Decided to go back to W6R2 and just could not do it, was exhausted! So now I'm back on W5R1. Did it on Friday and again today, but it's killing me, and I don't know what to do! I don't know how I've gone from being very ok with the progress, and moving along nicely with the programme, to completely falling apart.

Should I do W5R1 again? Go back? Or push foward.HELP!

Neither one nor the other... you have to find your pace... if it takes more time for you...so take your time... but you will find your own pace. Dont worry about distances and keep focusing in your breath and pace.... it will come!
  • HEBLAS
    HEBLAS Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    i would keep doing the level that you are OK with until it is "easy" to you... Then instead of jumping to the next level, take your current level and slowly increase the running time by 30 sec or what ever you are comfortable with.... keep doing that until it becomes easy and then increase your running time again by 30 sec....
    do your increases slowly until you feel comfortable....

GOOD LUCK!! and keep us updated!
  • farmgirlsuz
    farmgirlsuz Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing. I mentioned it to a fellow C25K'er and she suggested that maybe I eat a tablespoon of peanut butter a few minutes before I run or down a glass of water. It could be possible that your body really IS fatigued and/or dehydrated. This really helped me push through the tough times. Some days are easier than others but don't give up! Also I kept this saying in my head "If I haven't died, passed out or puked I can keep going!"
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    First off, just DOING something is a win. So don't get so down about this! Remind yourself why you started. Do you WANT to run? Do you think you NEED to run??? Do you have a 5k scheduled??? Find that motivation somewhere. For me I had a race in mind, so when it got hard, I signed up so I wouldn't have an "excuse" not to... I'd already paid!!!!

The program is supposed to be difficult, but it shouldn't break you. If you're finding it a little much, scale back and repeat a week. It's OK to do that!!!! When you strap on those running shoes, remind yourself that you are STRONG! You ran for 20 minutes for crying out loud!!!! You couldn't have done that a month ago!!! Look how far you've come!!!! Put on some music and just enjoy the surroundings. Look at the birds and the squirrels while you run. If the pace is too fast, slow it down a bit, but KEEP GOING! Nobody says you HAVE to do the pace that C25K says you do, it's mainly a guide! Running, for beginners, isn't about speeed, it's about DOING something!!!!!!

You go this... now go run!
  • cobblers88
    Options
    Thanks for the advice guys.
    I was thinking that perhaps I hadn't eaten enough today, as I'd only had a bowl of cereal before my run, but then I know people go before they've even had breakfast!
    I think signing up for a run is a great idea! I was also thinking of writing a list of the reasons I want to keep running and putting it in my blog!
    I'm just baffled by the fact I was doing so well, and then this happened!